My Day

LizG

58 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Back to the 12 pound carp, not a monster some of you might say but landing it on a float rod and light tackle is no mean feat

Muuuust resist making hilarious comments about size of tackle........

:default_biggrin:

Sunday 01st Oct and I actually had a whole day off!  So I spent the morning doing office stuff till about 0900 then it was prep mysen in all respects and orf to my local clay shooting ground at Wroot.    7 x rounds = 175 clay targets and over 200 cartridges expended.  Back home to bring down from our loft a 31 Yr old genuine silver cross pram that my late Mum bought for us.  Spent the afternoon cleaning / servicing said pram which is now like a new pin.  It's ready in all respects for our grandchild from our daughter due this Wednesday.  Teatime and it's off to the Eagle and Child, our local village pub for dinner with MrsG and Mum (In law).  2130 - 2330 and its in the Harvey Arms at Finningley with the lads.  Day completed

Two more days at tiling work, Wednesday - Game shooting.  Thursday morning down to 'B.A'

Griff

• Like 1

I was bought a new silver cross pram when I was a few months old by a junior Officer in the RAF while I Cyprus. Something to do with the officer coming round the corner in a car a knocking me (in the old pram) and my mother off of the road....

Saturday... CBT.. for me to use my Motor scooter, I was Ok no problems with 42 years of car driving and 6 on motorscooters, but the course included 1 who done some driving , and the other two were total beginners. This lead to a looooong day  especially when one had a meltdown towards the end of the course and wanted to give up... at least it was dry and sometimes sunny.

Sunday, continuing building a new garden wall for the house, got drizzled on for most of the day while the dog laid down under the Landrover and watched... I'm sure he was laughing...

• Like 1

St Mawes Cornwall today, the cottage has a panoramic view of the harbour, and the sun shone. 

A trip to the play park with grandson began the day, followed by a mooch around the harbour. He does NOT believe my explanation of tides being moon related ... pure moonshine in his view, but then he is only 31/2.

The ferries come every 20minutes, being the equivalent of a bus service round here. One has towed a very lifelike plastic mallard all day:default_eusa_dance: it also flies a Cornish ensign not a red one. 

We watched a fishing boat come in with a catch and noted the big incoming sea vessels waiting to go into Falmouth to unload.

A look at the other regular ferry proved it to be a woody, and a chat revealed it to be larch on oak. Argh larch!! I will soon start dreaming about the flipping stuff! We want some good larch for Brilliant but its cladding popularity has meant that mature stuff is hard to find. However they said their local sawmill gets good larch, so we may be including a trip there in our holiday. Our daughter thinks we are weird!

It's been a nice, low key day. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I commenced another tiling job this morning for a Lady.  Sometime during the day I asked her who had recommended 'GriffTile' to her?

She stated that her sister had done so, I had not done any work for her sister, but her sister stated that she had met a nice man that was a tiler.

She came to this (obviously correct) assumption as earlier this year she had reversed her car into my van when I was working in a clients house, came knocking at the door to apologise and exchange details.  I took a look at my van, just a minor battle scar to add to t'others and said there was no need to exchange details, she gave me a huge hug, so I said could she back her car into my van again? :default_norty:

I was most impressed / grateful by her honesty and that she came knocking in the first place.  The hug was a bonus

So that was a strange way to get recommended eh?  but just goes to show, what goes round comes round

Griff

• Like 12

Well I never did.  We have the Rascal purchasing a Gin Palace, now got word today that a mate of mine up here has just purchased a Fairey Huntsman 28'. :default_icon_bowdown:

Now this mate doesn't know much about boats, in fact I don't think he has ever owned a boat.  He enters the boat ownership world with a F.H Huntsman?  But here's the rub, he's bought it without any engines, whether it has Gearbox's, shafts / props I know not.  He wants me to go have a look at it for him, It's at Misterton apparently so not far away.  I advised him that he should have asked me before he parted with the folding stuff.  Well it's done now.

What concerns me most is the price he paid for it seems far too cheap to me, that can only mean one thing, - it requires a restoration, let alone a pair of 200+hp marine diesels :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well I never did.  We have the Rascal purchasing a Gin Palace, now got word today that a mate of mine up here has just purchased a Fairey Huntsman 28'. :default_icon_bowdown:

Now this mate doesn't know much about boats, in fact I don't think he has ever owned a boat.  He enters the boat ownership world with a F.H Huntsman?  But here's the rub, he's bought it without any engines, whether it has Gearbox's, shafts / props I know not.  He wants me to go have a look at it for him, It's at Misterton apparently so not far away.  I advised him that he should have asked me before he parted with the folding stuff.  Well it's done now.

What concerns me most is the price he paid for it seems far too cheap to me, that can only mean one thing, - it requires a restoration, let alone a pair of 200+hp marine diesels :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

Maybe it was the one used by James Bond in "From Russia with Love" and still has a few bullet holes to be filled.

Yesterday I spent the day on a course for the Fundamentals of Spectrum analysis and Signal analysis...

Luckily I didn't get lost by the instructors

Some things have changed a bit since the first time I did a course on the subject.....

42 years ago....

On 21/06/2017 at 13:34, Malanka said:

How's this for a whole week: Doesn't compare with golden silk knickers though..

Tuesday: German lesson 90 minutes of sheer joy, docs for lung function test including two X rays. Doc says I need a CT scan... Go to work go home eat sleep get up.

Wednesday: go to garage sign lease on new car. Go to work go home eat and sleep get up

Thursday:Go for CT scan, one normal one contrast CT, go home eat sleep get up

Friday: Discuss with doc results of CT scan, got nodules need another scan in 12 months. Grrrr.  Call from Mums carer, she is in hospital been on bedroom floor all night. Go home pack bag drive with Fiona to Calais. Cross channel, drive to Chelsmford book into hotel 2 am.

Saturday: go to Broomfield hospital see Nana , she is fine big fuss over nothing, remind her not to pull her emergency cord unless she needs to, drive to Ashford book into hotel eat sleep get up

Sunday: Drive to Chunnel link cross channel drive to Bern arrive 7pm. Sleeeeeeeeeeeep get up

2189km in two days...

Monday : why am I so tired? go to work go home..... Where's the wine......

We need the boat for some R&R

M&F

Hmmm. Lung nodules too? I got these. Maybe a Microbiologist thing perhaps? A whiff too many of ethylene oxide or glutaraldehyde?

Steve

• Like 1

Another hospital trip yesterday morning, but I got back to the news that the bid I'd left on a lot at my local auction house was successful and I became the very proud owner of these two rather lovely oil paintings. Horsey Mill will just about fit above our fireplace, but the wherry painting is just far too large for the house. It will go in to storage for now and have pride of place when we move. I'm chuffed to bits with these.

oil_horsey.jpg.f7a797fff70ffe15f127b7b28826238b.jpg

oil_thurne.jpg.4b4f82787ff6a2d455936e919b3127da.jpg

Carol

• Like 12

Donny 1 Rothy 1....not so insignificant...

Today I was 2/3 of the way towards either of them, at Spalding, that is at Spalding Model Railway Club's annual exhibition.

I enjoyed this show, it was better than last year's, much excellent modelling.

At 11:00 it all came to a halt, as we stood for the 2 minutes Silence.

The military layouts displayed poppy's as did many others...

We will remember them.

1235_081642_150000000.jpg

• Like 1

Donny 1 Rotherham 1....not so insignificant...

Absolutely gutted.  Donny was 1-0 up, five minutes of added time shown on the board.  Referee allowed play to continue until Rotherham equalised at 96:40 then immediately blew the final whistle - Not happy, it's no wonder Ref's get verbal abuse for not following the rules of the game

Griff

• Sad 1

Finally got Breydon settled at 3.30 this morning, then off to bed. Up just after 6 with Jamie, got him his breakfast, toured the house with a bin liner, emptied all the bins and the rubbish from Jamie's bedroom. Collected Breydon's bottles, washed and sterilized them ready for him waking. Tidied Jamie's toys and vacuumed the Lounge, hall and stairs. Collected the dirty laundry from the bedrroms and put the first load in the machine. Made a cuppa and sat down to listen to Clueless on Radio Leicester, forgetting that they cancel it on Remembrance Sunday so started listening to Treasure Quest on Norfolk instead. Gave up, it's painful since David Clayton left. Mowed the front Lawn and communal lawns opposite the house. Washed the car. Burped Breydon after his mummy had given him his "breakfast". I just seem to have the knack. Took the first load out of the washer and into the tumble dryer, second load into the washing machine. Went to Hinckley shopping. Got home, had a cuppa and a yummy donut from Morrisons's, emptied the washing machine into the dryer, load 3 onto the machine. Went to see friends who sent lots of goodies for Breydon and took them a thank you gift. Got back home, put pizza and dough balls in the oven for tea. Sat down to eat it and put the recording of the Grand Prix on only for it to have stopped half way through, thank you useless Talk Talk box, I didn't want to see the end anyway. Did the washing machine and dryer again, Ironed Jamies uniform for the week. Sat on the sofa with a cuppa and dozed, so now waiting for the last load to finish drying, then off to bed. Up at 3.30 in the morning for work, two pallets to North Wales then collections all afternoon. Looking forward to the rest. 

• Like 2