My Day

LizG

A while back now I stripped all the worktops in daughters kitchen and utility, sanded, prepped, sealed then top oiled. Made a good job of it too even if I say so myself. Last night she cleaned her oven, the system where one puts items with cleaning fluid on them in a polythene bag overnight. This morning discovered the bag had leaked. One badly damaged worktop. Daughter in tears ( and she is a brand new Mum - not good)  partner annoyed.

Can you  sort it befor Christmas Day Dad?

now I really do need a 30 Hr day and an 8 day week. First free day maybe this Saturday, clay shoot Sunday forenoon - AAARRGGGHHH

Griff

CE882688-D9F1-486C-8537-9E9EC0AEFF2E.jpeg

• Sad 1

does she want it fixed - or flat, I can see thats burned down quite a bit, so even if you can get the mark out, there will probably be a dip in the wood - unless you know someone with a really wide thicknesser, who can plane down the whole worktop past the mark.

when i do my oven the plastic bag sits in the sink.

12 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Considering the amount of grease and alkali in that stain, I don't think it would even paint/stain over.

Best cut it out and put a flash name on it and sell to one of those ever so posh art galleries.

paul

Or maybe a GastroPub to serve meals on. A new twist on old roof slates, lumps of recycled toilet seats, shovels, or whatever the latest twaddle-lovers think trendy.

• Like 1

Well, that photo that arrived onto my phone this forenoon totally changed my day, tomorrow, Thursday and Friday too.

I'm at present contracted to remove / replace yet another en-suite floor at our local Holiday Inn Express.  I've lost count now just how many of these I have done, they take me two days start to finish.  Day one, I'm normally home on an early finish for about 1600, Day two is a later finish at around 2000.

Not today however, I worked on without stopping, getting home for 1845, by 1900 I'm at daughters, by 2200 I finally got home for my tea!  I wanted to post a few pictures but our internet speed is particular slow this evening so they will have to wait.

The good news is that I have saved the day but not yet completed.  Daughter washed / scrubbed the whole area earlier with copious amount of hot water / flash using green nylon pad.  I got set to with the D.A on 80g - No chance, I would have been there for a week.  Out came the belt sander with 60g belts, six of the damn things later - At one point I was seriously considering a power planer - followed by the DA on 80g then 240g, then cut back the whole top with 24og.  Hoovered off, wiped down with whit spirit, then applied with a brush sealer to the now bare area only.  Tomorrow evening it will be de-nib, tak-rag coat 1 of top oil.  Repeat same on Thursday both to repaired area only.  Friday will be final coat to whole worktop and that will just have to do.

Griff

• Thanks 1

Well done for saving that worktop, a brilliant job. May I suggest for future cleaning of the oven, Lakeland’s Oven Mate. Spread the gel stuff on a cold oven, leave for up to three hours as necessary then just wipe off with a damp cloth. It really does work. One of my pet hates is cleaning ovens but this stuff makes light work of it. 

Wish I still had a dad who could work wonders like that worktop repair!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SteveO said:

That's a work of art Griff. Well done!  La'tharmes do some Teflon oven liner sheets that Mrs O has fitted in each of her ovens. They catch any cr*p that boils over or is spilled and save her a lot of cleaning.

Cheers

Steve

They are good, I used one in my previous oven and also have one in the boat oven. Unfortunately the all singing all dancing oven I have at home now has a heating element in the floor so a liner can’t be used. Something to be aware of. 

All done and sorted. The last two nights I have popped round, cut back, tak ragged the applied the finishing oil, final application last night so she can commence using it this morning.  That was a close call, if she had the accident two days later than she did I would have never got it repaired before Christmas.

Said daughter has sent me a rather nice email, makes it all worth while:-

I honestly don’t know where I would be without you Dad and I panic for the day you’re not here (selfish I know) but who can I call at the drop of a hat in an emergency knowing it will get fixed?   Thank you so much safe to say I think I definitely owe you one or maybe two. Xx

Griff

BA NBN 381.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2