My Day

LizG

Today was bright and sunny, albeit cold, so the front brakes have now been changed, pads and discs, neither were too bad, but I have had some judder braking at 70mph. you could see some spots where the outline of the pads was visible on the discs, and the pads were nearly down to half the original thickness.

Come to Leeds and visit our new ice rink!!! well tonight might be your best shot since it's -2 right now. It's 2 years since they started to build and moved from one side of the road to the other. 6 months ago the end framework went up then 4 months later a few more from the other end all wood design. around 2 months ago in the bad gales the end one went over and took the other 3 down. The one they put up 6 months ago is still standing.

35 years ago they wanted to make a ski slope down the hill at the end of us onto Elland Rd so it's taking some doing.

Now the German market has left Leeds centre it's the norm for the ice rink to visit for January. I could take a picture and send them it saying a week to build.

Come to Leeds and visit our new ice rink!!! well tonight might be your best shot since it's -2 right now.

Don’t think it’s much warmer than that inside at Bracknell. I’m sat next to the ice watching and I’m freezing!!
I really can’t complain though, some of the girls on this team have to get a ferry back to the Isle of Wight after the skating finishes at 9:30. I imagine they’ll be on a midnight ferry. We only have to drive for a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

... some of the girls on this team have to get a ferry back to the Isle of Wight after the skating finishes at 9:30. I imagine they’ll be on a midnight ferry. We only have to drive for a couple of hours.

I love the ferry to the Isle of Wight ... but maybe not at midnight in the middle of winter. Have a safe journey home yourselves. 

• Like 1

So,  reaching for my phone was not an option as it was well out of reach, what was in reach was my tilers sponge and bucket (Not to be confused with the common car washing type sponge) so I was able to mop up one handed.  Both the lady and gent were out of the house, the teenage girly was downstairs somewhere though, after a few times of me hollering she appeared, 'Did you call'? 

Yes,  ring your Mum, Dad, grandparents even farther Christmas etc and just tell someone we have a situation here, oh and pass me my phone will you?

The both of us are now on the phone, me to 'My' plumber who suggested I first contact the clients plumber and if no good to ring him back.  Fitting one of those compression blank end stops was out of the question, even if I had one in the van I could not get to it (Finger still on end of pipe in the wall) besides the pipe had separated from a soldered 10mm elbow joint and compression fittings as we all know will only fit to straight pipe, not onto another fitting.  Lady of the house was now only 10 mins away but the message came back to me that 'Her' plumber would not be able to make it.

What a predicament, nowt to do but sit there and have a bit of a giggle to mysen.  So, on ringing my plumber back he said if it was a soldered joint (It was) to try pushing the pipe back into the elbow.  I went for it and it worked, now only a slow drip was on view - this after dashing to van for my LED floodlamp.  By now my plumber was on his way.  I turned the water off and commenced draining down the central heating system.  To shorten down the story, the leak / fitting was repaired, I finished tiling and eventually got home for about 2130.  I expected a late one, but not that late.  Friday I was done and sorted for about 1100.  The home owners we so lucky as that joint could have separated at anytime, so just as well it happened whilst I was there

Griff

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w-album said:

They were Falmers jeans!

Falmers were quality, much better than Levis.

Trying to work out from that photo....are you male or female.....tricky as everyone looked the same in the late 70's......I'm going for......nah, I'll leave it.

Today we have been happily spending money and preparing food for the christmas visit tomorrow of the part of our family Mrs W and I love. It's never easy to find a time to suit everyone, (we've been known to get together in Jan)  this years final obstacle was the THFC v WHUFC football as my BiL works at Wembley. Once that was moved, all was good.

:default_icon_kiss:to my (nice) sister, 

10 hours ago, w-album said:

Minding my own business this photo was sent to me by the son (and seriously old crewing friend) who's father died last week. Vaughan and Labrador may remember him but he took my wedding photos. This is me possibly 1978 3RRs race. Scary!

20171229165312_01.jpg

Oh Liz, such a lovely photo, you look gorgeous

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

Oh Liz, such a lovely photo, you look gorgeous

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

Thank you Grace - I feel incredibly old now!

10 hours ago, Wyndham said:

Trying to work out from that photo....are you male or female.....tricky as everyone looked the same in the late 70's......I'm going for......nah, I'll leave it.

My name is .........................Liz hope that helps! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Definitely a three rivers race with the banner tied to the bridge.

Definitely because the other photo I was sent was one of me actually timekeeping - I tended to do 3 RRs timekeeping in the early hours before Fred Turner woke up at a sensible hour and came over to continue the task.

We had a rather different Christmas this year as we spent it up in Matlock, Derbyshire with a last minute booking of a holiday cottage on the edge of the town. We love the Peak District and a few days rest and recuperation was just the tonic!

We wandered down to watch the annual Boxing Day Raft race which runs along the Derwent between Matlock and Matlock Bath. It's a massively popular event and was great fun to watch. For those who think the competitors in the Three Rivers Race are mad, they have nothing on this lot who are stark raving bonkers! 

The video link at the bottom is not mine but features onboard footage of this years race from the "Nessie" raft. Utterly brilliant but completely nuts! Not only do they have to negotiate bridges, fallen trees, fast moving currents, weirs and one another, there is also the bombardment of flour, eggs and water from spectators along the riverbank to contend with.

matlock_raftrace01.thumb.jpg.3b715056d4ffd3bb2fa3f75df28b2f25.jpg

matlock_raftrace02.thumb.jpg.c450a542b862f2ecfa31d6dc73f8636f.jpg

matlock_raftrace04.thumb.jpg.e46a061e77caa2252e02074f4719d2e4.jpg

matlock_raftrace03.thumb.jpg.3d9567ae84aca7fe086a1af8b4d047dc.jpg

Carol

• Like 7

Today being sailing day I went to the landrover to find, the tyre flat. I've pumped it up but will swap it for the spare tomorrow. I find tyres are getting heavier every day.as is everything else.

So off to the sailing club,, in howling winds and bucketing rain.

Weather south Westerly, 25 gusting 32,

We put the buoys out in their normal places in the rain. Said hello to Broad Ambition as we passed.
The race was delayed by 20 minutes as several people were missing, my helmsman had phoned the club he was stopped on the A47 at an accident. http://www.edp24.co....idges-1-5338193

Race 1 course for us 4p, 1p 2p, they sent the dinghies off first to given us more time., Due to the high winds they were kept within sight of the club so they did 3p 1p 2p.

We made a reasonable start in second place, but about 50ft behind the first boat who timed their start perfectly.
We set off tacking up river dodging the dinghies heading the other way. We slowly caught up and were not far behind when we rounded buoy 4 as the other boat had put up their spinnaker so did we, although it was at the top end of the wind speed for that.

Once we rounded the Bend, we tried to block their wind by sailing behind them, so they moved out into the middle of the river. We therefore went up the right hand bank, so at the 90 right outside the club we had the inside and overtook them. Just clearing ahead before the required three boat lengths from the buoy.
The the rest of the race we slowly increased our lead.. so we were first.

During the tea break someone had brought in the local paper....

http://www.edp24.co....-club-1-5334363
That's us with the big bird up,. We had made the papers!!!

Race 2 slightly less wind than before, and with slightly more south in it.

A better start this time we were just behind the leaders, and as we tacked up river we found one way had the advantage. So we kept overtaking each other up to the bend, then we got the lead. And held it to buoy 4. As usual round the buoy, Genoa's in spinnakers up and off we went. Once round the bend, they followed us, but we did not make the mistake of moving out into the middle.
So when we got to club corner we still held the lead as they went the long way round. Rounding buoy 1 then it all started to go wrong, we came out into a lull they behind us got good wind and accelerated up to pass us.
We had caught up with the dinghy fleet and as we rounded buoy 2 we had a fireball on the inside of us. So for several hundred yards we had a tacking match with them till we broke free.

But by this time the lead yeoman had got away. So we followed them round for the next lap and a half. So we finished second..

After a couple of cheese rolls it was time to go home, as every one else including the dinghies, packed up

• Like 2

What ? No one else posted in a week, it'll end up my thread!!!

Easterly wind stronger than forecast, causing the occasional white top on the river.
We had an additional buoy today number 5 by Dydlers mill.

The dinghies had a special 2 day event so there were around thirty in number probably a surprise for those coming through on motorboats. They were in three fleets, allcommers, toppers and optimists. They started in 5 minute intervals after us in that order.
Their course 2P, 3P.
Our course 2P, 5P.
Due to the wind direction we started 400 yards up river, heading back to the club.

Race 1, in the pre start manoeuvring the only problem we had was a topper who strayed into out start area. We made the line first and got clear away after several tacks reaching buoy 2.
On turning at the buoy we looked at the hoard of dinghies, and decided for safety not to put the spinnaker up until we passed through their start line.
Soon after the start line we went round the right hand bend, and the deployed the spinnaker. What we found was on the long run down to buoy 5 the others who didn't use a spinnaker caught up!!
Then a very long series of tacks back to buoy 2, during which we passed through the now racing dinghies with surprisingly little trouble. Those behind seemed to drop back a lot during this .
Rounding buoy 2 as the dinghies were well spread apart. Up spinnaker, only a little weaving required to get through them. Turning at the bend went well. We continued down to buoy 5 with a short stretch of "death Rolls" when we were hit by a huge gust.

Then after rounding buoy 5 it was the long tacks back to the club. The dinghies were mostly finished due to their shorter course, they finished us as well so we won easily. The others in our race were inexperienced and didn't really stand a chance. Why the more experienced sailors didn't turn up I don't know.

The others didn't want to do the second race due to the high winds. So that was the end of our day...

Note.. "death rolls" when the boat rocks from side to side uncontrollably down wind, in a dinghy this often means an early bath. In a keel boat it may lead to a loss of control and hitting things...

• Like 1

Note.. "death rolls" when the boat rocks from side to side uncontrollably down wind, in a dinghy this often means an early bath. In a keel boat it may lead to a loss of control and hitting things...

As a biker I’d call that a tank slapper

I’m in our cottage on my own as my better half is a teacher and goes back tomorrow but I’ve managed to scam a few more days off. I decided to take the dinghy (non sailing, is that still a dinghy? Small, open GRP boat) with electric outboard from Potter to Ludham, while I was out the wind got up a lot against me heading back and I didn’t have loads of charge left when I got back. I’m quite pleased with the outboard but I think that’s about the limit of its range.

Tomorrow should be interesting, Goodchilds are lifting our ski boat out ready for service etc. so thought I’d go and see that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Working at a clients property, who are also family friends, Lower Pastures, Blaxton just outside Donny.  1230. White van old (transit size), either Renault or Peugeot No markings other than finger drawings on the back doors. They have been in my van and robbed a matching pair of Makita drivers (£350:00 -ish). Theft happened whilst I was in and out of the property putting tools away. Ten seconds earlier and I would have caught him red handed half inside my van.   Next door has cctv but they are not in at present. I'm way beyond angry, lucky for the pond life I did not catch him.  I have informed the police - nothing they can even try to do without cctv evidence, even then they tell me the plates are bound to be stolen so little chance of them actually investigating it let alone actually accomplishing anything.    Feeling sick with anger now, really want slow revenge, the nasty kind. 

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Working at a clients property, who are also family friends, Lower Pastures, Blaxton just outside Donny.  1230. White van old (transit size), either Renault or Peugeot No markings other than finger drawings on the back doors. They have been in my van and robbed a matching pair of Makita drivers (£350:00 -ish). Theft happened whilst I was in and out of the property putting tools away. Ten seconds earlier and I would have caught him red handed half inside my van.   Next door has cctv but they are not in at present. I'm way beyond angry, lucky for the pond life I did not catch him.  I have informed the police - nothing they can even try to do without cctv evidence, even then they tell me the plates are bound to be stolen so little chance of them actually investigating it let alone actually accomplishing anything.    Feeling sick with anger now, really want slow revenge, the nasty kind. 

Griff

I always think that one of the lowest things a person can do is rob a man of his tools and stop hime earning an honest wage. You have sympathy, ba&t2rds need horse whipping.

• Like 2

These thieving gits who steel off honest working people are really the lowest of the low.

These   lazy tow rags can’t be bothered to work for a living 

Had it done to me twice when on the tools (even caught one once in the back)

hope he had his bus fare home!

good luck in getting them back 

John