My Day

LizG

Could have been worse Griff, you could have caught them and be in clink for assault by now, even if it is what the low lives deserve

Not a prayer. it would have been a classic case self defence of course.

I do wish so hard that I had caught him, it hurts.  In the morning I shall be spending in the region of £350 to replace the tools stolen, no doubt then I'll be even more angry.  It takes me hours n hours to earn that kind of money, so this week looks like I'm working for the pondlife to enjoy the fruits of my labours

Griff

Were the tools marked in any way? A lot of nicked stuff finds it's way into local "Cash Converters" type establishments. Had an instance locally only last week, where a dad found his lads nicked mountain bike in that shop. He got it back, and the police are "investigating".

Sorry to hear of your loss. I would inform the likes of Cash Convertors, Cashmakers and any auction houses with as accurate a discription you can. From my experience the police will just add to the list of stolen goods and eventually publish it.

My company car was broken into many years ago and they took my tool case and briefcase. A lot of the tools were special to my trade and almost impossible to replace. Sadly my briefcase had all my BSAC diving qualifications and all my dive logs. 

As to what should be done to these b.....ds I can type here!

Colin

I had a big storage container broken into and some breakers and drills stolen,  the little darlings used one of the wheelbarrows to move the gear to the compound fence.

The CSI unit swabbed the wheelbarrow handles,  got his DNA and woke him up early the next morning.  The police recovered our gear and he got twelve months.

It does sometimes work.

• Like 2

"It takes me hours and hours to earn that kind of money"........The lowlife that took your tools have no understanding of the word 'earn' or 'work', they just take with no thought for the consequences. When we were burgled a few years ago they took things that can never be replaced with any amount of money, to rob a person of their means to work is just as disgusting

So sorry Griff, I hope the Police catch the b*****rs

Grace

• Like 3

Things have a way, of coming back to bite them Griff. When we had the tackle shops, we were main agents for North Western blanks. We had a delivery of carbon Kevlar carp blanks come, these were new out that week, and in 1987 cost us £325 each. Well half a dozen came in 3 matched pairs. On closing the shop we only had  five, well it was reported to the police etc, along with the serial number etched inside the butt. Well to cut a long story short one day this young lad comes in saying can you build this up for me, it was our blank. I said thank you very much I will take that, after much argy bargy he said call the old bill so that I can have it back. Unknown to him the wench had already rung them, Well when he saw the serial number being read he tried running right into a closing door.

He got 6 months, I got blank back and the police got about 15 other crimes cleared up. So not saying your drills will be the same, but heres hoping for you matey.

• Like 3

Sometimes the police are a bit non committal, as they may well have had more reports of the same person, but not be allowed to say, it is possible they have been waiting for an opportunity to catch the person in the act, so fingers crossed they  know the perpetrator and feel their collar plus you get your tools back, I know this doesnt help in the short term as you need the tools to work and have to replace them so you can earn a crust today, so even if you do get them back you are out of pocket. maybe you need to fit a tool safe in the back of your van, and keep it locked - even when you are just popping back inside to get the next load of tools, yes a load of faff when you are loading and unloading, but added security for your tools.

So sorry Griff cant condone summary justice but................ :10_wink:

There is a rise of these opportunist crimes, grounds workers and arborists are often hit as they have tools either on their vans or in the grounds where they are working. from a Police perspective it is very difficult to trace / locate the culprits and the property, and officers do forget sometimes the impact a crime like this can have on the victim with loss of earnings, replacement value and the general PITA it causes. When on the streets I often recommended fitting a dash type camera in the rear of vans and trucks, and has been known to throw a picture of the pond life up for identification. I don't see why people should have to go to these lengths but it the way of the world.

We go to great lengths to protect our homes but many tradesmen have £1000`s on their vans and we all get complacent with locking up and removing items from view. I hope you get the service from my colleagues you deserve, if all else fails

Capture.JPG

• Haha 4

Ooo thats my kind of policing !

I had an incident just before christmas, went to overtake a very slow travelling pickup on a country lane, once along side he swerved and knocked my vehicle into a ditch. I managed to get his reg no and ring the police from the hedge bottom, the police were at best unhelpful, "that reg no doesn't exist, it'll be travellers, nothing we can do". I pointed out that they had set up camp less than half a mile away and it might just be worth a look, but again he insisted there was nothing the police could do.

So this week when my old two grand vitara needed an mot, I was very tempted not to bother, just fit some old no. plates and drive wherever without a care in the world, after all with a dent in the side it looks very traveller ish.

Sorry for your trouble Griff, just carry on and keep smiling, and remember if they do catch them and they go to prison, you're hard work and taxes will keep them from a proper job once again.

Funny old world, never mind at least my two grand vitara passed its test.

• Like 1

The neighbouring property to where I was yesterday has a cctv camera pointing straight at where my van was parked.  The owners inherited the system and not sure how to operate it.  However they have  a 'Man that can' visiting them today to hopefully get the cctv evidence off the machine and to me for onward transmission to the police.  Another neighbour round the corner does have cctv footage of the same van with reg etc.  We will put the two together and send that off.

Griff

• Like 3

Original stolen kit:- DLX 2007 = Combi driver and impact driver with 3 x 3ah batteries £335, Aug 2016

Replacement kit:-  DLX2007 = Combi driver and impact driver with 3 x 4ah batteries, charger and case £356 - Ordered just now

(There is a DLX2173TJ but the impact driver is not quite as strong)

I tried the usual suspects like Amazon, Ebay, then Toolstop and FFX but ended up at 'FastFix' coincidentally the same outfit that supplied my previous purchase in Aug 2016. They had the keenest prices without me spending all day just to save a few more pennies.  That means my stolen kit was just under 18 months old and still under guarantee.  New kit will arrive Monday.  Van is in for a service today.  I'm of course now dreading next full working day, going to get a certain tool from van only to find it is missing.

The power of social media is doing it's thing and is on-going.   If the police don't get to the scumbag then I will and it will cost him a lot more than my recent purchase

Griff

https://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-dlx2007mj-18v-brushless-2-piece-kit.html?sqr=dlx2007&

I hope you catch them (or the police) in the mean time when your new ones arrive, photograph them, note down the serial numbers, make a recognisable mark in an inconspicuous place, and if you can get some of that security marker tape that leaves the mark on even if you peel it off, use some of that to add your postcode and phone number onto the tools, all these things make it more difficult to sell them on and can deter a thief from stealing them. a sign on the tool box saying all tools security marked, plus a sticker on the back of the van saying security camera in use, all are good deterrents.

• Thanks 1

Just found a new gadget which may be an investment for vans, boats or homes, it is secured by design so I am allowed to pass it on (Police protocols.....) receiving good reports as below

Then there is the Cube”  - anyone seen this yet?  We had a demo yesterday and I went from cynical to impressed in about 30 mins.  My background is TSU and all things with wires that let you down when you need them the most so it takes a bit to make me smile. This did.  Its SBD approved, self-contained, battery operated and can be used is in a variety of ways . The Cube itself is equipped with a fixed camera and IR lighting but can also be equipped with up to ten  Blue tooth devices or sensors. The sensors will detect movement and shock amongst other things and are easy to install. Alarms and images are sent to a smartphone and online data base. The base unit (clever gubbins and camera) is £238 inc VAT and sensors are £25 in VAT each. 

http://uwatch.co.uk/the-uwatch-cube/

• Like 1

The thing with smartwater / DNA marking and the like.  Just how many punters wandering round car boot sales, or go on Ebay and have the facilities to check each and every items before they buy / after receipt of such items - Hardly anyone.  It is only any good if the police manage to confiscate goods, they can then check items, but the average joe pumter? - Not a prayer. So if suspect stolen goods don't get into the hands of the police the probability is that the same goods bought second-hand in good faith will never be checked.    I have done and will do so more vigilantly now, physically mark tools where I can using a soldering iron and will purchase an engraving set for the other gear

Griff

Over Christmas and New Year,  pond dwelling, scum sucking low life oxygen thiefs broken into 3 crematoriums in Kent to steal gardening and power tools..

The third crem parked a van in front of the tool store,  the pond life smashed a window and rolled the van forward.

They even attempted to break in to the actual crematorium.

It seems we are being surrounded by the little bar stewards.

We had a van broken into last year,  the little darling emerged to find two if my guys very upset with his action.  Apparently he fell to to floor several times before he limped away.

Steel toed boots are issued to all my staff for safety reasons.  I didn't ask for details :default_biggrin:.

The muppet even tried to nick one of the guys insulin,  test kit and lunch.

Coincidentally I paid a good bonus to them that week.

2 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

Many arborists paint their equipment luminous pink or yellow believe it or not it does prevent theft but no way hampers the working of the equipment......... Tutu optional lol.

There is this site https://arbsafe.co.uk/
Arborists can register the serial numbers of their kit on there, you can then check stolen serial numbers if buying kit.

When my 360* digger and Ifor williams trailer was stolen from the farm the police weren't even remotely interested in looking into it, even though we knew it was still travelling on the road on the back of a lorry when we reported it.