What's In Your Toolbox?

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The Handiest tool I have ever bought is a 'Duck-Do'  I have one onboard, one in my van and one in the garage.  You used to be able to by them in Screwfix but they no longer sell them

Griff

I heard of one known as an "up ducky" !! 

28 minutes ago, Limbury1 said:

Many years ago I had my name stamped on my spanner so .anywavy one day I went around a mates to borrow a spanner the size I didn't have so he lent me this spanner with my name stamped on it then argued it was his.

I used to have a set like that. With King Dick stamped on them!!!

hopefully someone will actually remember them:bow 

• Like 2

Last year I had 2 water pipes burst, one returning water from the hot water tank to the engine, and another supplying the hot water tap in the kitchen. Getting to pipework was really awkward.  This happened one night at St Bennett. Last time on the boat hot water pipe to shower started leaking lucky though this was near the junction so easy to repair. After these issues I always have a bit of spare water pipe, jubilee clips and 22mm copper pipe for connections. 

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Yes I do. Had a socket set that was king dick Started at 3/4 inch af and went right up to 2 inch af. Weighed a ton but it was bullet proof. Also had a full set of britool spanners, remember them, real top quality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Hi Mark,

We went to a wedding last Saturday evening at Kelham Island in Sheffield, the museum was opened for wedding guests to look around, in the Ken Hawley Collection are various trade samples on display, one being a very large King Dick spanner.

http://www.hawleytoolcollection.com/

When I first started work I stamped my initials on all of my tools or put on them file marks, none of this supplied tools back in those days, you bought your own or made them.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Yes I had one of them too, the break elbow type, it was about 5 foot long and used for the cylinder head nuts on the main engine on one of our small coastal tankers, if I recall rightly the nuts were about 2 1/2 inches AF..

just out of interest , we have all heard the jokes about left handed spanners and screwdrivers, well believe it or not they really do exist !! On oil tankers, any tools used on deck are always made from either brass or phosphour bronze alloy, if dropped it prevents sparks. These were always referred to as left handed tools, so there, now you know :-) .

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Limbury1 said:

I remember as an apprentice being sent to the stores for a long weight

We aren't going down this road are we? Groan:taunt:

1 hour ago, tjg1677 said:

Yes I had one of them too, the break elbow type, it was about 5 foot long and used for the cylinder head nuts on the main engine on one of our small coastal tankers, if I recall rightly the nuts were about 2 1/2 inches AF..

just out of interest , we have all heard the jokes about left handed spanners and screwdrivers, well believe it or not they really do exist !! On oil tankers, any tools used on deck are always made from either brass or phosphour bronze alloy, if dropped it prevents sparks. These were always referred to as left handed tools, so there, now you know :-) .

You always get someone who has to have one bigger than you:norty:!!!

here is my King Dick in all its glory. Not quite 5foot long. Still nice to handle though!!! This is getting bad. 

IMG_0388.thumb.JPG.c31858ec28aa088eca54b75bee60aa44.JPGIMG_0389.thumb.JPG.334a69b559a25f6e91813e2e2e9963eb.JPG

good job I could t find little Percy!!

• Like 1

Snap on and draper tools in my tool box....in my car and T5 I carry knuckle bars with 19mm sockets on them in case of a puncture...  always use to carry a T bar cut off scaffolding bar and 33mm 32mm sockets when I use to be away trucking... these days I go to work with my lunchbag... with 10mm 13mm 17mm 19mm spanners... cable ties... duck tape... Phillips head screw driver and flat head... and why do I .....  I get asked???..  Just incase...  old habits die hard ha ha ha...

• Like 4