Never Ending Story

Malanka

24 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Chatting to Patrick at Martham for this very reason they only now fit Apeepee, it's a right bugger to work with as I can testify Can't I Tim but they claim it will last years longer than redwood, I struggle to pick up one plank of around 3.6 mtrs it weighs that much.

Doug.

I know you guys like me to bring news from the Thames, but this links both.

On our Marina, a guy owns a wooden 1930's ex Broads Authority launch, might be River control or waterways, but was moved from the Broads to the Thames in the 1960's. He has all the history, and it has had only one plank replaced since new. He's not expecting to replace any more. Well, I might guess which will be first now lol...

Wood was high quality and plentiful before the 1960's, you only have to look at the modern hardwood window and door frames to see how soon they start to rot.

With modern timber, I have seen trees growing in the morning, cut down in the afternoon,  ripped into target sizes, and loaded onto low loader in the evening on their way to be sold on. Buy a pack of 10 laths from wickes, then stand back as you cut the white plastic rip cords lol... If you don't use the timber right away, have a look a few months later, and it looks like a used pipe cleaner, all twisted. 

I'm sure if these were fence posts, they might start to grow again. (joke... I know only the outer layer of a tree is actually living lol) 

Richard

No criticism Viking and I welcome your input. I was just suggesting that as I know the organisations and individuals regularly read this forum that I would not wish to push them into a corner before we have even spoken. 

We currently do not know why three years old planks were dry rotted so quickly. I can surmise as I ( luckily for me) happen to be a professional microbiologist and am thoroughly familiar with the propagation of dry rot.  

There are some likely causes some of which you eloquently outlined and yes that may be true. I don't feel I can be seen to be making my mind up before I have the other side of the discussion heard and understood. There are some whacky potential causes which may turn out to be true. Microbes are funny beasts and they don't always do what we think they should. My professional opinion is that something is different now than before and we need to identify what that is. After that tis a negotiation . 

I will update everyone with the results and we can all go down the pub and celebrate a good outcome. My main concern at the moment is ensuring she gets good treatment and everything is done to remove rotted/rotting and likely to rot planks. Thanks for your posts it's really nice to realise our concerns are shared by others . It's quite humbling actually and it's very nice so thank you.

M

• Like 7

Thanks for your posts it's really nice to realise our concerns are shared by others . It's quite humbling actually and it's very nice so thank you.

That's cos we kinda like you and especially your girly entertainments officer

Chuffin 'Eck - Did I just say that in a public domain? - Must be having some sort of senior meltdown moment :shocked  Not even had any sort of alchofrolic drink either so can't blame that!

Note to self - engage brain before fingers - P.I.C.N.I.C = Problem in Chair Not In Computer

Griff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Chatting to Patrick at Martham for this very reason they only now fit Apeepee, it's a right bugger to work with as I can testify Can't I Tim but they claim it will last years longer than redwood, I struggle to pick up one plank of around 3.6 mtrs it weighs that much.

Doug.

Yup I can vouch for the Opepe. I tried to pick up a plank on Saturday and ruptured myself. I can also vouch that I hardly ever hear Doug swear...until he was planing Opepe...after which he was stained bright orange and point blank refused to indulge me in Donald Trump impersonations for the camera. 

Something I found interesting this weekend was the delivery Martham had taken of Opepe and Mahogany which sat side by side in the shed. Opepe to the left and Mahogany to the right.

Image29.jpg

I may just be plain weird...but I find boat sheds, and the things and people they contain, fascinating.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grendel said:

from the look of it Tim, each from a single tree, that should ensure good grain matching and consistent quality.

I wonder for how long modern timber is seasoned, some is left for years with spacers to allow air circulation, others kiln dried, which from my "O" level wood work days was quick and modern, but not as good as well seasoned timber. 

As I mentioned, some timber is simply cut and used, called green wood I think, and great when working with oak framed buildings. There are places for unseasoned timber, but not for a boat?

Re dry rot, I find it quite ironic that it takes hold in damp conditions, I once found some near a shower I was renovating, all plaster board and plaster  removed, down to bare brick, and rotten timbers bagged and removed and a few gallons of dry rot killer with cuprinol 5* to finish. It travels through mortar and brick, and I ended up spraying in an adjacent room as a precaution.

I must admit I find microbiology a facinating subject, as an engineer most things follow the laws of physics, logic takes it's part, but with micro biology... I guess there are many things that surprise you.

I am certainly intrigued by this project, and look forward to a satisfactory conclusion.

Let's hope you can get it sorted and you can get back on the water as soon as possible.

Richard

In the right conditions the horrible nasty thing can travel three feet (yes three feet) in a few days. The tendrils look like whispy white things and are very delicate.

That wood! I  don't know what it is but its lovely to look at. I think maybe I was an Oragutan in a previous life.

M

• Like 1

Helloo everyone,

Boat is progressing and we have discussed the extent of the rot and what is expected and they are going at it with a will. The only way to deal with this is to get it out when you find it and that's what they are doing.

IMG_20170616_120607.thumb.jpg.597e58bee00777873e9073411b6276c4.jpg

Here are some more update pictures which although show  a lot of planks missing reassure me were getting to the bottom of it now...  IMG_20170614_104716.thumb.jpg.b4884fba965488d201c67883e4eccf22.jpg

Thank you to the boatyard for the pictures of the progress.

Malanka will soon be restored to her full glory and we will be out floating until my vacation time runs out.

M & F

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Malanka said:

Helloo everyone,

Here are some more update pictures which although show  a lot of planks missing reassure me were getting to the bottom of it now...  

M & F

Blooming heck Martin if that's just the side I hate to think what the bottom is going to be like.

:bow

Doug.

Hi Doug

Funnily enough the bottom wasn't that bad actually, just a few planks replacing and they have already been done and the work on the bottom is now completed. If you remember Malanka had big cracks down between the planks on the RHS, these have now been seen to be rotten. The planks above the rubbing strake were new 3 years ago and they are fine, some of the plannking below the strake were new 3 years ago and some of them (not all) have been included in the removal. As you know you can't just remove the rotten ones you have to cut deep to get rid of the infection.

Told you the removed plank pictures made us cry and not for the wallet damage. There are ten more of them but I didn't post them all. The updates we get are via pictures which tell their own story without the need for words. 

I am reconciling myself to no boat for a while by having a new car delivered next friday afternoon. Total indulgence silly thing that will go by the name of Millie (yes we name all our cars). The big lexus (lexie) is going to get sold once the UK insurers of the idiot that hit us last July have paid up and its repaired. Two seats flies in your hair cabriolet to have a bit of fun with, I wont say what it is you'll have to wait to see it later in the summer. Fiona's current car is called Luther by the way.

And no matt that fender is not the 4% fender that particular fender is the tiny blue one we have in the font locker under the windlass.

M&F

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok all,

just returned  from sunny Southern California and had an update. Last Monday Malanka was due to have some swimming lessons whilst sitting in the straps. I am also happy to report that the new canopies and seats are now being installed and we plan ( such a tentative word) to be afloat next week. If anyone sees us if we do in fact make it forgive us if we are weaving all over the place as that will be due to sheer joy of floating.

have to pack son number one off to Mumbai at the weekend ( Uni course thing for six weeks) then its full pedal to the metal all the way across Europe and on to Stalham. Fiona and daughter and son number two off to Koblenz in Germany today to see our new puppy. ( captain Montgomery) I get to go to work with horrendous jet lag.

will let you know what the plans are and if we do actually make it. If we do get to float I will spend some time polishing all the chrome bits (all 32 of them) I know how many as one pays by item for them to be chromed....Did it once now polish is cheaper. 

Bye  for now.

• Like 5

On 21.6.2017 at 10:18 PM, MauriceMynah said:

I used to have a little Renault 4, I called it Phyllis, but that was short for Syphilis 'caus it was poxy. 

I used to have a Renault 5 automatic - I called it Perky (because it pinked).

• Like 2

Millie is a lovely well behaved lady from Coventry, it's only when the right hand pedal (metal with holes in it) comes near the carpet and the Greek Gods partying in the exhaust are unleashed that the cacophany is ...lol quite loud.

Anyway enough car stuff this is a boat thread. Update.. We are coming, its a plan, the trains are booked, Friday meetings cancelled or moved, middle offspring being uploaded to Mumbai Thursday. Two remaining offspring and Boris the boat dog eagerly anticipating the off on Friday. There will now follow three days of frantic list making, undie, sock and T shirt washing and general let's not take too many clothes this time talks. The Where's my shorts is sorted this time as I took two pairs to SD and bought another whilst I was there, so beware people, Martins legs will be out, out, out.

Weather is looking good for us too with not too hot, followed by chance of shower, which this being Norfolk we all know is a load of Betty Swallox and simply taking each day as it comes and looking out of the window works for me.

I have a plan which involves buying new chrome polish (grrr) for the inevitable pre Beccles activities (she has to look her best you know) new deck shoes as the old ones are dying on my feet. Deciding to leave Musto at home looks wise at the moment but things change. We have a new fridge and domestic power arrangement this year, so fridge will be ice making and so cocktails may be served as part of the Malankan hostility for those that catch up with us. Barry and Tim will explain.

We sourced some Pina Colada mix in the US he he.

We will have various boyfriends and girlfriends coming with us at different times this next two weeks so it should prove to be a hoot. Have not yet printed the "You hit my boat I damage your face" T shirt yet but we are going to Womack..lol

In celebration of Malanka's long stay at the boat doctors this year we may "Dress" her as we head down the Ant. Please honk if you see us.

I will write a Malanka tale, full of its usual stuff for those that like that kind of thing. I will even bring the ships log that a kind Dolphin lady bought for her. 

So as I write this it's three sleeps wooo hooo.

Malanka almost crewed up and almost ready to go. Sorry Griff mate, couldn't resist it's been sooo long.

M

• Like 4

MauriceMynah,

This is my youngest son's fiance's wedding car on Saturday . The car is called Bertie and he/she (not sure which !) is not very pleased with you !!

I bought Bertie from a lady who received him/her as an engagement present ~2003. The car still had the 2003 confetti inside and will have a lot more on Saturday !!

Best wishes

Charles

596e014fd0a3d_IronHarvest241.thumb.JPG.70700e9e654c97c96a2809616617bdea.JPG

• Like 1

NO way Matt

we will stop say hello and let the dogs tire each other out and we consume strawberry Pimms with ice whilst we watch your kids tire each other out. Then we can go to the pub .... We can discuss the price to pay for that fender after a few Pimms I may get a better price that way ...LOL

Or I can simply cry on your shoulder at the cost of the boat doctor. Come to think of it let's do both...

See you afloat

Martin and Fiona

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Just in case you have  forgotten what it's like Martin.

Doug.

image.jpeg

Is that, is that....water Doug? It aint nachural I tells ya...I thought boats got propped up on barrels not ....floating!

• Like 1