Southern Broads

Steve2604

I will be visiting the broads again for only my 2nd time next month (last year was first, and yes I now have the bug!) I'd like to go south just to experience crossing Breydon Water. I will only be stopping for 2 days so can you experts recommend any must places to stop at. Thank you.

• Like 2

Where are you starting?I agree with Alan.If you go to  London try the White horse,Just into Chadgrave.By the ba moorings,Or the Swan.At Oulton Waverney.It does depend on how long and where you start.Beings based at Brundall can recommend  anyone to visit please do

• Like 1

All of these do very good  food.

Waveney inn Oulton Broad ...... 

Waters edge at Bramerton...  

Reedcutter Cantley....

The new Inn at Rockland st Mary......

And my Favourite of them all would be The ferry house at surlingham... Sonia's home cooking is fab... you won't be disappointed at all.... if you do go...make sure you phone up and reserve a mooring as its very popular....

I don't know if Coldham hall has improved lately or not....??? So I can't answer that one... 

• Like 4

Scrumpy's list, with the exception of just one pub that on the only occasion that I visited it offered probably the most bland food imaginable, is pretty much spot on. However I would add both The Geldeston Locks and the Geldeston Wherry, the first serves really excellent whale and chips, the second offers a really good steak menu. The whale, in truth, is a super large portion of very decent cod.

• Like 1

Have just got back from a week away on the Southern Rivers - well just the Yare and Chet as we moor at Loddon. We ate at The White Horse at Chedgrave- our local - never a bad meal and also the Coldham Hall as they couldn't fit us in at the Surlingham Ferry. Had a fab meal at Coldham Hall. Burgers to die for. Also had the best Ham, Egg and Chips there last summer that I have ever had. Great service. Would heartily recommend. 

• Like 3

Just to add my 2 cents, there are many lively places darn sarf and of course completely depends what you like at your stops but oulton broad and beccles are my top two. :dance

On 17/04/2017 at 10:56 AM, ScrumpyCheddar said:

All of these do very good  food.

Waveney inn Oulton Broad ...... 

Waters edge at Bramerton...  

Reedcutter Cantley....

The new Inn at Rockland st Mary......

And my Favourite of them all would be The ferry house at surlingham... Sonia's home cooking is fab... you won't be disappointed at all.... if you do go...make sure you phone up and reserve a mooring as its very popular....

I don't know if Coldham hall has improved lately or not....??? So I can't answer that one... 

I would personally avoid the Reedcutters after a very poor experience two years ago !

• Like 1

Waveney River Centre is certainly worth the visit but I cant say Im overly taken with the pub since its traditional interior was vandalised (sorry refurbed) and the convivial atmosphere destroyed along with it.  Every time I have eaten there the food has been nice thats providing you like it served on a plank of wood,  I have always wondered how they serve soup! 

30 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Waveney River Centre is certainly worth the visit but I cant say Im overly taken with the pub since its traditional interior was vandalised (sorry refurbed) and the convivial atmosphere destroyed along with it.  Every time I have eaten there the food has been nice thats providing you like it served on a plank of wood,  I have always wondered how they serve soup! 

Thanks for the warning ! There is little I like less, that's another to avoid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Thanks for the warning ! There is little I like less, that's another to avoid.

You can always ask for a plate, I do! I suspect that the planks of wood are off-cuts from the boatyard thus cheaper than china. As the one who was responsible for the old, convivial bar I was sad to see it go but in truth I rather like the 'vandalised' new bar's decor. 

I do agree the decor is nice and they have done a good job of redesigning the space and the bar its just a shame it had to be done in there really.

For anyone who hadnt been and seen it the way it used to be they wont know what there is to miss I suppose! 

The chopping boards wouldnt stop me going in if I was hungry thats for sure!