Broads Pubs 25 Years Ago

NorfolkNog

These are a selection of the pubs that you might have visited on a Broads holiday 25 years ago. Many of the beers mentioned have now long gone (some thankfully)!

The Broads seems to have fared better than most in terms of pub closures but the loss of the Castle in Wroxham and the Railway Tavern in Reedham will be much lamented (by me anyway)!! :57_cry:

cheersbar

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Howard, I spent a few nostalgic minutes looking at this list.  A lot of the old beers have gone now  - many for the better.  I was brought up on Websters Best, but their Yorkshire Bitter was a travesty in my view, and I always remember Tolly Cobbold bitter as a sour, sulphurous brew. We have also lost a few memorable pubs. I used to particularly like the Black Horse at Hoveton St John - one of the few places you could get Adnams Broadside and order rabbit pie, which was made in their kitchen.

I probably shouldn't complain about the beers listed though, It wasn't many years before that Watney's Norwich Bitter was the order of the day in many Broadland pubs.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Neil

I think the 3 Horseshoes had closed by then but I am struggling to think when it was! I do vaguely remember going in at some point. 

Hi Trevor, thanks, it was just the Norfolk part of the  Broads and GY so no Norwich or Suffolk sadly (although I do have an old guide from the early 80's which includes Norwich if you are interested). I didn't copy the GY entries as they were a bit dire but could easily add them. 

Steve, yes I agree Yorkshire Bitter was somewhat grim! Tolly Cobbold does seem to get bad press, it may be partly due to landlords not looking after it properly though which would account for the sour taste. And yes, the Black Horse was a welcome oasis, beer very well kept as I recall.

Norwich Bitter - um, probably the push I needed to join CAMRA back in 1975! cheersbar

Great stuff Howard and the 39 years fits very well with our first forays onto the Broads. Not quite the first as that was blighted by Norwich Bitter and Watneys Red Barrel!

What happened to the "Adan & Eve"? Or am I WAY out of date? Used to be a favourite first call wandering the back way round into Norwich.

• Like 1

Hi Trevor

You're most welcome cheersbar

Norwich Bitter and Red Barrel. Now that brings back memories :naughty:

The Adam and Eve is still very much there, just near the cathedral.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/NOR/824/adam-eve-norwich

Its very popular in summer with folks sitting outside. I must admit I don't go in very often, lovely pub but the beers are a bit run of the mill. I tend to go in the Wig and Pen a bit further along or over the river to the Leopard cheersbar 

• Like 1