Boats Far From Home

I was cycling along the River Lea in East London stopping at a pub or 2 over the weekend and noticed a Caribean moored up opposite the Anchor and Hope. She is listed on boats of the broads as last seen in 2009. That got me to thinking where else are Broads boats lurking and how far away have they got?

I dare say it's been covered before but I'd be interested to hear people's stories.

• Like 2

There was a "Bathtub" for sale a couple of years ago on the river Ebro, but it may have come out or a French hire fleet. Big Catfish in the Ebro.

Well here on the Thames in Oxford, there are many ex Broads cruisers, some still have their BA reg numbers and their original Broads location. eg saw one yesterday with Beccles as it's home location.

Quite a few on the Thames with the BWB numbers, and later Canal River Trust registrations. 

We could have three registrations, BWB, Broads, Environment Agency, but We removed all references to the old waterways as they are no longer valid. 

So why do people keep the old registrations, is it legal?

I work by the Harbourside in Bristol and there are maybe 7 or 8 ex-hire boats based in the area. There's an ex-Brinks Emperor, 3 Bounty 37s I can think of (including an ex-Bees Boat with its original name) 3 Caribbeans, an Alpha 32 centre cockpit and a Dawn Craft DC30. 

• Like 1

Back when hire boats were quite common on the Thames many of them originated on the Broads and I am fairly confident in saying there were arrangements in place between the yards on both waterways, there are a number of ex broads  boats used as livaboards in the London area including the Lea and Stort.

Fred

• Like 1

Not sure if I've posted this one before but this Caribbean Major photographed in 2015 is still moored at Castlefield Basin on the Bridgewater Canal in Manchester City centre.

Castlefield Manchester. Bridgewater and Rochdale Canals.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Oh I didn't know you were from round those parts, Simon! Mrs Jonzo has approximately a gazillion relatives in Bristol.

Yes I've noticed there's quite a few old Broads cruisers there, some nestled in between the barges down by the M Shed.

Yes indeed John. I live in Cardiff but commute to Bristol for work. I'll try and get some photos when I'm there next week. 

• Like 1

A couple of year or so back, i was looking on google street view of the Lancaster canal, and spotted a Calypso moored up in the picture.  Several years before that, we were staying with Karens Aunt in Nottingham, and saw one of Breydon Marines "Breydon Monarch class" moored on the south side of the river near Chilwell and Beeston. I`ve seen several ex Broads cruisers on the Mudway in Kent, as i`m sure Alan ( Jaws Orca ) will testify to, and i seem to remember seeing one of the old Beaver fleets big steel sedan boats (sundancer) on hard standing just up from Bursledon on the Hamble. I`ve yet to see any down here in Poole harbour, but i did see an advert for a 44ft Mediteranean in need of work for sale with a local number. I`l keep my eyes open though. Back to Mudway based Broads cruisers, i remember back in the 90s seeing one of Breydon Marines  boats ( London Pride? ) in Mudway bridge marina, as well as one of the old Windboats 26ft seacrete boats. Also, i saw an advert for the old Aston Orion for sale on the Thames somewhere, which was converted into a liveaboard, and was very sad to see it that way, as we hired her when a year old in 1970, my first Broads holiday, when i had my 12th birthday afloat, and was hooked on the Broads forever.

As Shaw Taylor used to say at the end of police 5 .......... Keep em peeled.

• Like 2

Spotted this Bounty 37 on my way home from work a couple of years ago in Warwick.  It was heading north towards Birmingham and the Hatton flight of locks, not far beyond these is I believe a dead end for wide beam boats.

1430816534.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Spotted "Schatz", an ex hire Bourne and previously the boat of an emminent member of "elsewhere" at Stanley Ferry back in March.

Schatz at Stanley Ferry.jpg

Hi Trevor, this is one of the old Aston Vega class, built in 69. I said above, we hired one of the sister ships in the Vega class, the Aston Orion in 1970.  

• 1 month later...