Boats Far From Home

The names Mike and my wife is Joy. We've had a boat on the broads for about 22 years now (is it really that long?). We moor at Broadsedge and we love it here. We've cruised the whole Broads system in that time and in the last couple of years started to venture seaward which is a whole new experience but very enjoyable. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jocave said:

Spotted Kara sea again today, is the reg number an original broads reg ,looks like Z261 and am I right in saying its an Alphacraft??

IMG_20170719_183138-1.jpg

Yes indeed, that's what enabled me to check its Broads hire boat origins. It was built by Alpha originally before it went to John Williams and Sutton Staithe Boatyard. 

• Like 1

In 2012 a couple had this Bermuda 34 for sale on the River Ebro. It stated that they had transported it there 7 years before, the mooring at that time was fully serviced with laundry etc for €1200 per annum and could be lived at all year round. They were asking £16000.00. In hindsight a good investment for someone, certainly better than property in Spain.

thumbnail.jpg.0adbc22d3eaf4b7020f43d388d5b66c6.jpg

• Like 2

This is interesting as Marine Bay still have her on their books :

http://www.marinebay.com/browse/boats/viewboatdetails/290

Price has gone down to £15000.

Judith and I explored the Ebro Delta which is now a National Park in 1974 before we had children and absolutely loved it.

26 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I have just noticed it has still got it's mud weight plinth. Or was that part of the superstructure moulding?

It was part of the moulding. Kara Sea, above, uses the same mould as the Wilds Bermuda, as Langford Jillings bought the mould tools, as well as for the Caribbean, and Caribbean Major. Nice piece of re-cycling!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The picture above is definitely woodbridge and the bathtub is still there, although it didn't look like something that was too big for the broads, Highcraft at Thorpe came to mind when I saw it and I think it might be a Foster 30. Highcraft used to have one called Peverill...

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Style_Details&style=Fo30

When we had our sailing boat we kept it at Tollesbury marina in Essex, there used to be one of Brooms old seapilots called Trulos Bay, which was used as a liveaboard, there was also, briefly, an old wooden Broom captain class moored out in the saltings at Tollesbury, but it didn't stay long.

• 4 months later...

Aston Leo brings back memories. We were the first people to hire it when first built, from Aston Boats in Loddon. It was a really nice boat. It was handy being the first hirers as we had been invited to a Wedding in Beccles and we were able to pick the boat up mid morning and arrived in good time for the wedding.

• Like 3

I saw a pic of this in the Leeds Canal basin months ago and I found it last week moored at the side of the Royal Armouries in the Dock on the river now called Leeds Dock (formerly New Dock and previously Clarence Dock (renamed it when they built high rise apartments around it!!)) WHY????

N801 a.JPG

N801 b.JPG

• Like 3

Not a Broads boat the but the 2nd boat I worked in Leeds and wondered if anyone on their travels have seen this working elsewhere since the owner went bust and it went elsewhere.,

Nice built boat with many operating issues. 240V came off the port engine so that had to idle at 1500rpm so it ran from the starboard engine most of the time. toilet tanks wasn't big enough for a 4hr trip with 90 drinking.

inspiration trip boat.jpg

Not strictly a "Broads" boat as built in Poland!

We bought her new in 2005 and over about ten years explored most of the Broads. Sold her to buy a Hampton Safari and she ended up in Southampton. I'm told the 10hp engine was changed for a 90hp and she planed for the first time!5a93e3c0de967_1stOneSton.jpg.3b07e8ee827b2e73716e35fdee95346a.jpg