Holding Tank Sensor.

Poppy

I saw this elsewhere, and thought that it may be of interest ot some here.

"This might be useful to anyone with a holding tank.  I have np connection to, nor affiliation with, the company.

We are currently looking for 3 to 4 boat owners with a holding tank on board to install our new Blackwater/ Holding tank sensor.

What makes this sensor different from your regular holding tank sensors is that it works with capacitive technology to provide real-time accurate and reliable readings. It also uses solid state technology and does not have any moving parts – so there are no holes to block or parts to stick. (For more information on the product: https://www.gillsc.com/products/leve...-level-sensor/)

If you aren’t familiar with Gill, we are a market leader within the formula 1 and the Motorsport industry for sensor technology.

The Blackwater sensor is currently used in commercial and charter boats and we are now looking for non-commercial boat owners that would be happy for us to use their story for media and publication purposes. If you are interested in installing this sensor in your boat, we would be happy for you to keep the sensor in exchange for reviews and feedback of the product.

If you’re interest in getting involved or have a question, please email michelle.errington@gillsc.com for more details. "

• Like 1

I have something similar albeit a much older and more basic version. 

It is prone to getting dirty and giving false readings in the wate tank for obvious reasons. 

These do say they are non stick, so would be interested to see how non stick they are!!

Just now, Baitrunner said:

I have something similar albeit a much older and more basic version. 

It is prone to getting dirty and giving false readings in the wate tank for obvious reasons. 

These do say they are non stick, so would be interested to see how non stick they are!!

They also claim vitreous enamel is non stick , with two twenty something boys still living at home I can assure you that their bathroom wc is in no way non stick !!!

• Like 2

I'd much prefer to go for Ultrasonic tank sensors - nothing actually goes into the tank at all - are calibrated to the size of the tank in question and then can be networked via a bus system to a single display which shows real time readings for water, waste and fuel. 

Much like this system that Vetus has

sensord-1024x768.jpg

Talking of waste tanks, I have often thought about the merits of a high pressure cleaning system within the tank.  You'd go to boatyard for pump out, they do the deed but then instead of just adding fresh water for a couple of minutes to the tank via the pump out port in the deck, the fresh water hose is connected to to an inlet - (under a little cover for example) then press a button and inside the boat you've got the guts of a cheap pressure washer compressor - this feeds a spray bar inside the tank and water is then sprayed at a high PSI into and around the waste tank dislodging any built up waste. 

This could be on a timer so a single push of the button means the compressor runs for 2 minutes for example - then stops. Disconnect water hose from input port and pump out the remaining water then add the Bloo. Clean waste tank every time.

While I am at it, why is it always that water and fuel fittings are flush to side decks, not in the cabin sides - it would mean so much less risk of water and debris finding their way into the tank and a nice clean flush deck.