Broadland Wave 2, Er, 2

Lovely photos. We're back at the caravan now but it's a beautiful sunny morning and reading your tale I already want to be back on the water. Definitely going to have to start checking websites to see what we could get later in the year. 

• Like 2

Yes Griff having moored at Johnny Crowes Staithe I agree it is complete rubbish. No one should moor there, especially when I'm next here in August.

It's a beautiful morning here too Jean. I set off at 0745 after a quick wander down the footpath (no sign of deer though). I've stopped at Cockshoot now. I'm not sure I like the new gravelly quayside and path, it looks like someone's drive. Off to Wroxham later, them the meet this afternoon.  

• Like 3

I continued to Wroxham yesterday morning. I wanted to make a short stop for water and a visit to Roys but no such luck. Faircraft Loynes was rammed and my requests to stop at both Barnes Brinkcraft and Summercraft were turned down. The boss lady at Summercraft was shockingly rude to be frank, despite the fact my request there was only to stop long enough for water. OK it was a Saturday, but there were several gaps I could have pulled in for 10 minutes and it's not as if they were expecting their Friday boats to return. 

I gave up on Wroxham and briefly mudweighted on Wroxham Broad before deciding it was too windy. I switched to Wroxham Island for a short stop before heading to the meet at Salhouse, arriving about 1400. I really enjoyed the meet and I've posted about it on the meet thread. 

• Like 4

It's felt like Summer has really started today, full on sunshine and pleasantly warm. I'm always amazed how many boaters I see on a day like today cruising along without opening their sliding roof, it completely baffles me. 

I chatted a bit more to the folks at the meet this morning and then set off just before 10. I wanted to make my second attempt at unlocking the doors of Wroxham. Thankfully at Barnes this time there was a single space available in the basin. I slotted in and received commendation for my maneuvering skills from the lady on the boat next door which was nice. I picked up a few items in Roys and then returned to the boat. I texted my daughter Natalia (who'll be with me when I return in August) to say I was at Barnes so she could spot me on the Web cam and she sent me some photos. I was eager to get going again and having taken on water I decided to head for Ranworth. The river was busy but probably less so than peak times. There was still the odd pesky day boat however, especially the one who sat 6 inches behind me for some time when there was plenty of room to pass. Horning was easier to negotiate than yesterday. Ranworth is always a lottery as to whether there's a space available at the Staithe or not and this time the boat just ahead of me slotted in as someone departed but my numbers didn't come up. I considered mudweighting but it was a little too breezy for my taste so I opted to stop at the Island. It made a lovely lunch time spot. I ummed and ared about where to head for afterwards and eventually settled on Potter Heigham. As I entered the Thurne the two boats ahead of me moved alongside each other to engage in conversation whilst banging along about 10mph so I resolved to keep well back. Thankfully they turned off down Womack Dyke when I was going straight on. I thought Potter would be busy but it wasn't in the slightest. There were only 3 boats on the BA mooring and I picked a spot on the downstream end. I've seen very little traffic this evening apart from a few returning Herbert Woods boats. It just goes to show although the north Broads receives a bad press for being busy and hard to moor, all of the North Broads isn't the same and it's easy to generalise too much.

I cooked aboard and then walked to the Falgate for a pint where I'm writing this. 

• Like 10

Great to read your updates and see the photos.

We concluded that whilst the northern rivers still have a fair number of boats out at the moment, the fact that it is the closed season for fishing keeps the traffic down. We've often been mid-June and it's noticeably different - so much easier to navigate at the moment without all the fishing lines to avoid.

As for Ranworth, we went there twice last week. On the first occasion we arrived mid-afternoon and the boat ahead of us took the last space on the staithe. Didn't matter to us as we didn't need anything so we happily moored on the Island which I love. Second time we arrived about 11.30am but were only intending to mudweight for lunch anyway but again, the staithe was full with boats continually arriving and circling in the hope of that elusive space.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments. I enjoy writing these anyway but it makes it even more worthwhile.

Today has been my last full day as this is a 5 day Thursday-Tuesday break. For those that don't know these are brilliant value because they're priced the same as the 3-4 nights so I'm getting an extra 24 hours for nothing except the fuel I use. 

Before I set off from Potter this morning I wandered over the bridge for a quick nose at the Herbert Woods boats. I like the canopies they've fitted to their small aft cockpits Glimmering Light and Sparkling Light because they have removable sides. This contrasts with the cheaper version I've experienced from Richardsons which is all in one piece and like being inside a dark tent once the canopy's up. Last time I asked HW about solo hiring they said no and today I called in the office on the off chance their policy has changed - it hasn't. They'll entrust their boats to any old group, responsible or not but they won't tryst an experienced hirer on even their smallest boats - strange. 

I set off back down river around 0900 and headed for Womack Staithe. By the time I arrived there was plenty of space, some of the night moorers having departed. A tip from me, if you want to stop at one of the north Broads hot spots, Ranworth included, arrive there around 10-11 in the morning. Also at the Staithe was Carol and Keith who I'd met at the meet and it was good to chat to them again. I didn't stay long and set off again, not being able to make my mind up between going to Stokesby or Stracey Arms. The river was quiet once again and the sun was warm. On arrival at Stokesby I spotted Ultimate Gem 2 and The Corsican and so I stopped and really enjoyed having a drink with Vaughan, Susie, Geoff and Steve. We sat outside in the sunshine. I waved them goodbye and enviously watched them disappear off south knowing I had to head back to the Ant to return the boat tomorrow, darn it.

More to follow.. 

• Like 8

No sooner had I returned to the boat then John the Hockham Admiral and his wife passed on Friday Girl and waved. I had a sandwich and then returned upstream, deciding on Upton as my next destination. My only previous visit there was in 2014 when I last hired Broadland Wave 2 and I liked it just as much this time. It can be a tight squeeze because at the end of the narrow dyke is just a small Staithe and Eastwood Whelpton boatyard and the turning area isn't very wide. Today the Staithe was fully occupied but there was enough space at the boatyard for me to moor stern on. I wouldn't want to take a boat much longer than this one down there because it would be tough to turn and difficult to moor as I did today without blocking everyone else. The Wave is brilliant to handle in a tight space though - it swivels tightly on its axis and with gentle throttle bursts you can put it exactly where you want it. I walked through Upton Village (which I didn't last time) as far as The White Horse. It's a very peaceful village with hardly any traffic. Back at the boat I was soon on my way and decided on Ludham Bridge for my last night. Usually I'm either at Stalham or close to it but I fancied a meal at The Dog and a chug tomorrow morning. The Bure was still ultra-quiet - there was no-one in my direction and a handful coming opposite. At Ludham however at 1700 I took one of the last remaining spaces, again suggesting boating traffic is unpredictable. I write this at The Dog. I wanted the Gluten Free fish and chips but there was no fish left so I chose the chilli which was OK but nothing special if I'm honest. 

• Like 8

We were in The Dog last week too and I wasn't overly impressed. Clean and tidy with friendly service and the food was ok, just, as you say, nothing special. We hadn't been there before, well at least not since the 90s and I can't really remember what it was like then.

Enjoy your last night on board. It's always a sad moment handing the boat back.

The weather has been glorious here today so I hope you've had the same out on the rivers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics and write up.  How did you find The White Horse at Upton?  We ate there last year and were very impressed with their Sunday Roast and beer.  We weren't that taken with The Dog this year though we loved it last year. Mind you anywhere can have an off day, and as I've said before what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit the next person. Does anyone know whether it's changed hands since last year? 

I set off from Ludham at 0730 this morning and enjoyed my chug to Stalham in the sunshine. I'd used 48 litres of fuel at a cost of £53 which I thought was pretty good considering the cruising hours I'd done. Thankfully it was a straightforward drive home and I was home just after 1500.

I had a fabulous time overall. The meet was one of the highlights but I enjoyed the whole thing every bit as I always do. I think it was extra special this time because on my last trip on Soprano last October I was ill for the last day and the journey home which led in to a long hospital stay to be treated for endocarditis. I've been fully recovered for a few months but somehow it made my Broads pleasure even more intense this time. 

I took some interior photos of the boat as I was leaving and I'll post a boat review in the hire boat section. 

• Like 3

Thanks Simon, this has been brilliant.

I've really enjoyed traveling along with you, Your detailed reports and photos have been great.

The weather hasn't been too bad judging by your pictures.

Roll on the next trip eh!

cheersbar

• Like 2