Malanka Maintenance 2017

Malanka

OK Guys, just a little update and some explanation of the current hiatus in Malanka posting. My (Martin) mum has been taken a bit poorly (thats northern speak for she is in Hospital). She has various things wrong / non functioning so no details required. She is 85 and a little frail so we are hoping and crossing everything that she gets to come out again in a non horzontal way.

To another old lady (boat) topics.

Malanka is currently in the shed at Moonfleet (Moonfleet for next few weeks anyway) having her check up. She hasn't had one for a couple of seasons and it was about due. So far some replacement boards are required one (some) up by the bow and another (some) near the starboard stern area. This latter one doesn't surprise me as this is where the really bad rot was in the decks before we had the whole lot replaced two years ago. The prop shaft bearings are seeing some replacement action too and some remediation to the galley and wheelhouse windows. The hull boards of last big job are now dry and the gaps are being filled in traditional style (I'm a purist) along with some shed dings and a lick of paint. Anything more crops up and I will of course update the list. The lovely people at Jeckells have made the new burgundy canopies and ivory seats and they are to be fitted while the old lady is in the shed being seen to.

If folks want to see an old woody out of the water then if Phil agrees i'm sure you could pop over and say hi and see what she looks like without clothes so to speak. Also a good opportunity to see the quality of the work Phils guys do as well. One of the things that always surprises me when I see Malanka out of the water is that she is huge, well at least to me she is.

We are looking forward to our first trip out which with the Nana thing and school and unlversity ending times will not be early this year. Which is good because at the moment she is on dry land with her bottom out. 

Best wishes for this weekends shenanigans (oops sorry meet up) and don't do anything we wouldn't do.  Oh dear I do think that leaves rather too much leeway (note the boaty term there people...)

Martin and Fiona

• Like 10

Firstly thoughts with you as regard to Martin's mum, and nice to have an update as to Malanka too.

A lot of work going on there it seems, but this has been the year for things to be done. I feel like since February it has been a list of items to do on B.A that gets less, but never feels like it has so will be nice to actually begin going places on her not having things added, bought, changed, painted, varnished and generally not leaving the shed.

I like the sound of the burgundy canopy too. Hope all goes to plan and she is back in the water looking great and cruising about :)

• Like 1

Thanks Robin, appreciate the thoughts for my mum.

We were going to have some new soundproofing and wheelhouse boards replaced too but with the uncertainty about we decided not to at this point. We won't be aboard anywhere near as much this season as last but it will be nice to see the guys on BA when we do. We are at the Beccles shindig with Griff boy and Loreen so that should be fun. I am also very much looking forwartd to the burgundy canopies too. We have had roll down blinds (burgundy of course) fitted in them so we can close the windows and sit in relative peace without being watched quite so much. The stern well canopy has zipped sides too with windows in the sides which will be new. We can have enclosed, windows, or zipped open which leaves just the top remaining which will make the stern well a sun trap when we want or private little cubby when we want too.

Big ups to the lovely folks at Jeckells for their work. I am looking forward to seeing the photos but more so to actually feeling them ...

• Like 3

On 19/05/2017 at 11:10 PM, BroadAmbition said:

There is a 20% share currently available in 'B.A' that me and Bro have between us.  We kinda like owning that extra 20%  Not sure my bank manager agrees with us though

Griff

We have a spare share in Thunder available at the moment and like you say nice to have but other owners have to take up the slack.

When you say "available" do you actively try to sell shares in BA or wait for serious enquiries from known parties? The problem with having 12.5 shares is we can't vet owners before they buy!

When you say "available" do you actively try to sell shares in BA or wait for serious enquiries from known parties?

Originally there were five owners of 'B.A' and therefore five shares.  Sadly my old man died before we completed her, as a result myself and Howard inherited his share between us  We've still got it.  The downside to this is that for every £100 a shareholder spends on 'B.A' both me and Bro' have to spend £150 each to cover our extra half share

We have only sold one share to date, that was when Dolly (Dave) sold his share to Robin which we were all happy about.  The share was offered to him direct after we discussed it between ourselves.

So I suppose the answer to your question is 'No' and 'No'  If someone came along that really wanted that share, we liked and trusted them, then me and Bro' may consider selling it, that would give each of us a windfall and a third less running / maintenance costs to deal with, plus another pair of hands 'On Deck' for maintenance periods and the like

Griff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

So I suppose the answer to your question is 'No' and 'No'  If someone came along that really wanted that share, we liked and trusted them, then me and Bro' may consider selling it, that would give each of us a windfall and a third less running / maintenance costs to deal with, plus another pair of hands 'On Deck' for maintenance periods and the like

Griff

Do you take part exchange :shocked

Doug.