Thurne Mouth Regatta 27th -29th May 2017

TheQ

The annual regatta at Thurne Mouth is this bank holiday weekend.

Sailing starts about 10:00 am Saturday and ends Monday afternoon. Sat & Sun the racing is over by about 5:30 pm Monday by about 3:00 pm.
This year there are no moorings at Oby and so the majority of the yachts will be moored on the River Thurne, and due to lack of space may be double moored. Care may be needed passing the moored boats between races.
Please keep to the right and bank and move slowly when going through the tacking boats. If you keep right and slow the yachts should treat you as part of the bank and avoid you.

That was mostly lifted from a post by Waif on the other place, As I had forgotten about it.

Horning sailing club are Up on Black Horse Broad on the Sunday, so they won't get in your way to much.

I do hope that this time they put lights on the floaty river markers for overnight. They just leave them midstream for the next day. One year I came within inches of getting the anchor line round 'B.A' s prop. Never saw it but heard the impact then saw it passing down the hull side. I was proper angry. Leaving these out overnight unlit is proper selfish imho. A battery powered  LED costs pennies nowadays.  Still thanks to your post I am at least forewarned. There's a good chance I will be night navving this Thursday 

Griff

• Like 2

Looks set fair for it though, should be warm enough to kick in the sea breezes and move the wind direction about a bit.

In the ten years that I have lived in Norfolk this regatta weekend has seen a few rough ones. The trouble with early racing is, if it does blow up, who wants to risk spar damage or worse so early in the season.

We have some very strong gusts around a leaden sky up here on the North Coast. I would keep a weather eye cocked because it appers to be moving towards Broadland.