The Hot One

Bob48

15 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I look forward to it Bob. I waved and thumbed up to you on Monday as I was exiting Womack Dyke and you were heading for Potter, not sure if you recognised me. 

yes i did  it was good to see you , but i really do wish i hadn't gone to Potter, it turned into a nightmare . i shall explain more in the report . 

• Like 1

right then as so many of you have asked i shall regale you with the terrible tale of Potter heigham and the quiet moorings , the fair ship Crown Gem 4 set sail for Potter on the morning of Monday 22nd of May with high hopes , we passed Broads01 at the top of Womack water and waves were exchanged , the journey was going well,  and we had beautiful weather. as we approached Potter Heigham we saw the caution sign  reminding everybody of the Bridge of despair, but as we were not planning on going through the portal to Hickling and beyond we , paid it no mind. we had decided our best way was to moor at the quiet moorings a way from the bridge , this is where things really started to take a turn for the worse , we approached the mooring into the current ( not a raisin or sultana was to be seen ), as instructed 45 degrees into the bank then swing the stern in , right ? WRONG . now i would consider myself a capable helmsman  as i swung my helm over to bring the stern in i almost lost the mooring all together, my dear lady, had managed to get ashore only to find the the mooring posts , if thats what you can all them were only 6 inches tall if that weren't bad enough there are only three posts along  that stretch of mooring. we did manage to get moored  and went off to find breakfast after spending in excess of £15 on something less than breakfast . and a pot of tea for two , we decided to head back to our boat

,we saw Keith and Carole on Silver cloud and exchanged pleasantries then we pressed on, this is where s*** got real , now our little ship is 27 ft long by 9ft wide she sits proudly at about 3Ft to the free board , and about 3Ft 8in from the bow to the key head , the problems started after we got back to our little ship and we stood wondering as the fear mounted , how are we to cast off safely without leaving the good lady behind , as the good lady had released the bow line the bow started to swing wildly into the sultana, so i got off the boat and helped her to retie  our little ship. we then stood there for some minutes  considering how we were going to get away from this awful place , Saved by a gentleman whos' name i did not get he cast off for us .

the morale of this tale is simple , if you don't need to go to Potter don't go' there is nothing worth visiting for , unless the idea of spending loads of money on a breakfast that was more of an excuse than a meal , or if you like spending your time in a shop that was laid out by a group of three year olds is you thing. also the quiet moorings need to be looked at particularly the mooring posts.

now i know there are some people that rave about this place but i would suggest to any first timers avoid this place like the black death or anthrax or rabies , am i getting my point across yet .potter heigham thanks for the experience i shall not becoming back.:facepalm:

• Like 6

Oh dear Bob. I moored at the same spot the previous night and had no problems on this occasion. I will say however I've had some challenges with Potter in the past and always thought it must be something to do with that bridge doing strange things to the flow and wind conditions. It's mild compared to the south Broads however and please don't let it put you off. Potter is a Broads place through and through and I love it for that. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Oh dear Bob. I moored at the same spot the previous night and had no problems on this occasion. I will say however I've had some challenges with Potter in the past and always thought it must be something to do with that bridge doing strange things to the flow and wind conditions. It's mild compared to the south Broads however and please don't let it put you off. Potter is a Broads place through and through and I love it for that. 

The South Rivers are NOT the problem that some suggest. The 'problems' of the South tend to be those navigating them. 

During the week several Hunters sailing boats visited Oulton Broad, these boats sailed all the way from Ludham, without engines, braving the so called problems of the South, and they arrived safely, despite the so called problems. Use the tides and the winds as a friend, not an enemy, simple.

Those short mooring posts at Potter are short for a reason, they are stronger that way. There is less leverage should people tie their ropes to the top of them, less chance of them breaking, simple.

• Like 3

So sorry you had such a bad experience at Potter, I hope it didn't spoil the rest of your holiday

I do disagree with you about Potter though, it's a lovey little place and as Simon says is part of the Broads, been visiting there since I was a little girl and although it could do with a bit of a spruce up, you can't beat sitting at the Staithe there watching the comings and goings.

I shouldn't worry about having the trouble mooring, I have trouble mooring in most places lol :facepalm:

Looking forward to the rest of your holiday

Grace

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gracie said:

So sorry you had such a bad experience at Potter, I hope it didn't spoil the rest of your holiday

I do disagree with you about Potter though, it's a lovey little place and as Simon says is part of the Broads, been visiting there since I was a little girl and although it could do with a bit of a spruce up, you can't beat sitting at the Staithe there watching the comings and goings.

I shouldn't worry about having the trouble mooring, I have trouble mooring in most places lol :facepalm:

Looking forward to the rest of your holiday

Grace

the rest of our holiday wasn't mired by the goings on at Potter ,but as i said we have now been there and we won't be going back. to be fair it isn't the place itself , i'm sure the village is a wonderful place and very peaceful,just don't like the idea of causing my dear wife problems .cheers

• Like 2