40 Years Broadland Abstinance

HEM

First contact?  Authur Ransome's Coot Club at the age of 9 or 10.

Visited Broadland several times in 1960s & early 70s.  Parents used to hire a riverside "cottage" (Thurne, Repps, Ranworth) & several times we hired a half-decker from Martham Boat Dev co.  Been a Life Member of the Broads Society for ages.

Employment moved me to the Hamburg area of Germany "for a year" in 1982 & been here ever since.

Haven't sailed on water for many years (German girlfriend & I did capsise in a Laser II 30 years ago whilst on Majorca - but she still married me).

However I've been sailing "through the air" for over 30 years, now with 1200+ hours on gliders/sailplanes.  I learnt the language & how to fly at the same time.
I'm also involved in the organisation of the sport in Germany (on a voluntary basis).

We intend to visit Broadland at some stage to show my wife the magic of the Broads. We'll hire a motor cruiser as I don't trust myself to hire a yacht.  Problem ist I'm rather tall (over 6' 4").

We are probably looking at September 2018 by which time I'll be retired.

• Like 8

We look forward to re-welcoming you to Norfolk. Remember Norfolk is not just The Broads, allow enough time, you will be retired, to introduce your wife to the beautiful North Norfolk Salt Marsh Coast, it's beaches, harbours and small resorts.

• Like 2

Welcome along HEM. My husband is tall as well so if you want any tips about our experience of that on various boats feel free to send me a message. But in general I would say that the one non-negotiable item for us when choosing a boat to hire is the layout. In other words it's always got to have a bed you can hang your feet off! :)

5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

We look forward to re-welcoming you to Norfolk. Remember Norfolk is not just The Broads, allow enough time, you will be retired, to introduce your wife to the beautiful North Norfolk Salt Marsh Coast, it's beaches, harbours and small resorts.

Well,  my wife grew up near the North Sea town of Husum so salt marshes, harbours etc. are familiar to her.

Even though its not such a great distance its still quite an effort &  expense to get over to the UK (flight + hire car or own car + ferry & my wife hates ferries).  Now that my parents are both gone we no longer have a cheap "base" to stay in the UK.  Last UK visit was for a weekend in January 2014 to attend a 100th birthday celebration (of the lady who looked after me when my mother had to go back to her teaching job to help feed the family, may father at that time not getting much as an assistent lecturer at Sheffield University - a lowly grade that no longer exists I understand).  Before that we had a week in the Lake District.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a flying vacation in Southern Germany which included my best ever cross-country flight (a 553 km triangle, flown as declared) taking 7.5 hours.

Now to plan for Norfolk 2018.

Just now, HEM said:

Just returned from a flying vacation in Southern Germany which included my best ever cross-country flight (a 553 km triangle, flown as declared) taking 7.5 hours.

Now to plan for Norfolk 2018.

Hello Hem,

Please let us know what your Norfolk Broads plans are for 2018, ideally what boat you have in mind, are you planning to venture to the Northern or Southern Broads?

Regards

Alan

Plans are to hire a motor cruiser for 2 people to be comfortable in.  One week, probably September 2018.

Northern Broads, ideally to pass under all bridges.  Intention is to phone some boatyards
and pick their brains on what would be suitable.

HEM

• Like 1

Check out web sites the largest is Richardson's.They have a large range of boats in size and price.Clive is a member  of the Forum also.Faircraft and Brinks are also large both based at Wroxham. You never know we may meet,we spend two weeks each September. 

Best wishes Ian