Help With New Outboard

Pia

I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a new outboard for my Dawncraft Dandy.  I bought it from Marinetech on Salhouse Broad who will be happy to fit it, BUT here is the problem:  My boat is moored at Rockland St Mary, which I reckon is probably a 10 hour sail including a trip across Breydon Water.

Anybody out there able to suggest somebody closer to me who can do the job?

I am also looking for suggestions as to new security measures I ought to take to discourage light-fingered visitors.

There are several mobile engineers who could come to you. As for security, get a good lock, remove the cowl and replace with a Broadsbeat cover when not in use and sign up to Boatshield. What size engine as the smaller ones are more desirable as easier to remove and carry?

S.

• Like 3

It is a 10hp which I have saved hard to buy.  I have already lost a mudweight (they kindly left the rope and shackle though!) which is annoying - losing an outboard would be devastating.  Where do I get a Broadsbeat cover from?

• Like 1

As well as what Wilfuzz said. Some engines can be bolted through the transom. Not sure if it has got here yet, but a chainsaw makes a right mess of said transom to the keen thief. 

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before or not, but you could use smart water type markers as well. Stuff similar to that used to protect motorbikes. DNA is one such product  http://www.dnaplus.co.uk/carolenash/what-is-dnaplus

• Like 2

Thanks for that.  The current engine sits on a transom beam (not sure if that is the correct terminology)inside the bay.  I have a friend who is handy with a welder and was thinking of asking him to make a kind of slip cover for the beam that the engine could bolt through.  What do you think?

• Like 2

Search on the internet for outboard motor locks and buy a really good one and make sure your insurance company approves the lock you are going to buy. Insurance companies are notably good in wriggling out of claims.

My outboard is smothered in Smart Water especially in places where it is difficult to remove it. Make sure you advertise the fact that you are using security paint with the stickers provided. Everything on my boat is plastered with the stuff. 

• Like 1

I would have thought MarineTec would come out and fit it for you. A couple of years ago I saw Tony one of their engineers doing an install at Cromer which is a lot further to travel than S. Walsham to Rockland if the ferry is used.

• Like 2

Ask South Walsham Marine Tech. They may come and fit one of a range of security devices they sell. They also registered our Tohatsu for us with Broadsbeat saved us the bother, also unregistering the Px engines we traded in. Good service!

• Like 1

Just another thought Pia, these thieves have no concern for your boat. They will carve into your transom to get around your security, thereby maybe sinking your boat. I would take Stuart's (Wildfuzz) advice and Marine Tech, make sure your insurance cover is good enough and avoid anything that might compromise your hull.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

As well as what Wilfuzz said. Some engines can be bolted through the transom. Not sure if it has got here yet, but a chainsaw makes a right mess of said transom to the keen thief. 

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before or not, but you could use smart water type markers as well. Stuff similar to that used to protect motorbikes. DNA is one such product  http://www.dnaplus.co.uk/carolenash/what-is-dnaplus

The covers and markers are a good idea.

Sadly the chain saw thieves attacked an old boys pride and joy a couple of years ago and his boat sunk. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I would have thought MarineTec would come out and fit it for you. A couple of years ago I saw Tony one of their engineers doing an install at Cromer which is a lot further to travel than S. Walsham to Rockland if the ferry is used.

No - we have just checked with them again.  They do not offer a fitting service, which is pretty poor, and not very helpful when I have just spent a considerable amount of money with them.  Lesson learned!