Hello

New here, but not to the broads though.  I've stayed away from forums for some time but I thought I would dip a virtual toe back in the water.  I live near Ranworth with my husband, have a boat at Hickling and love boats of all kinds but at the moment kayaking is my favourite thing to do.  Born in Norfolk I was first dropped into a lugsail dinghy at 18 months in one of those giant orange lifejackets and I did not like it at all according to my parents.  Things changed pretty quickly and 45 odd years later I am still messing about in and on and out of boats and feel ill if I am away from the water for too long.  Anyway that is enough about me, hello everyone!

• Like 12

Welcome Minifer. :wave

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I visited Hickling for the first time last weekend ... by road! But I could see how beautiful it is and that is definitely on my list of day boat destinations.

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Welcome Minifer. :wave

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I visited Hickling for the first time last weekend ... by road! But I could see how beautiful it is and that is definitely on my list of day boat destinations.

We always managed to get under Potrer Heigham bridge in our Viking 23 and spent a lot of time both outside and inside the Pleasure boat inn.

What we did notice though, many of the day boats had very short mooring lines and could not reach the mooring posts as these were away from the quay heading and not placed well for small boats to reach two, so often either tied off to any other boats spare mooring lines or just had one line attached. So if setting off to go to Hickling, make sure the bow line reaches the stern and the stern line is of a good length too, or ask for some extra mooring warps. 

Richard

• Like 3

Hello Minifer, I live 500 miles from ranworth, I don't have a boat, I have never had a boat, and I doubt very much I will ever own a boat.:swordpir:

Is it a real boat you have , or does it not have an engine :naughty:

Welcome to a great place with great people, just like the broads itselfcheers

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone :)   It is a real boat Wonderwall, it is a 34' plastic bathtub with an inboard diesel thingamajig. I have a kayak, hubby has two fishing dinghies (greedy) and I used to have a laser sailing dinghy but a hand injury means I can't sail anymore.  So I think that passes your floaty vessel criteria :D

• Like 5