What's The Big Secret?

Pia

I am now nearing (I wish!) the end of my boat restoration project.  I have spent more hours than I care to remember scraping, sanding, polishing, painting etc. etc. - most of which is a bit like childbirth: you know it was hell, but the end result is worth it. 

What I still gnash my teeth over is the endless wasted hours I have spent sourcing bits for the boat, and finding tradesmen who can do the tricky stuff.  I know it is/they are out there because whenever I bring the topic up with boaty people, I always get a reply something like "there are plenty of qualified guys who can do that job" or "yeah, you can pick that up at a good chandlery" or the most helpful advice "it's so easy - you can do that yourself".  However, when it comes to names/addresses/guidance the subject soon changes. 

Heaven help you if you should wander into a certain chandlery on the northern broads who employ a man I refer to as 'Angry Santa' - the rudest man I have ever met, without knowing EXACTLY what you are looking for including proper nautical name (and preferably part number).  To be fair, I did once get given a cable clip at another chandlery for free, but was so shocked that I insisted on giving him a couple of quid just for being nice to me.

I have spent many merry nights searching the internet for small items for my boat and getting most of my information from US websites.  I still remember the elation of discovering a little fastening I was looking for was called 'lift the dot'. 

So, in order to get the most out of my boat (sorry margarine tub - and therein may lie the problem) I decided that I really ought to get myself a new engine.  Simple enough, yes?  They will fall over themselves to help me as I am spending a big chunk of cash, won't they? No!  I did find a local chandlery who kindly agreed to sell me an engine, but they did not know anyone who could fit it; nor did it come with oil and lube - fine, but they could have told me.  They could also have up-sold by selling me a lock, DNA kit, window stickers, broads beat cover, not to mention the aforementioned oil and lube.  Any car salesman worth his salt would add at least a few hundred quid onto a new car with 'extras' - why are boaters so reticent?  Why don't tradesmen advertise; why do chandlers not have proper websites with pictures AND prices; why is it like getting blood out of a stone.

Could we please have a directory on this forum - hell, businesses and tradesmen could even be made to pay to advertise - WIN WIN WIN

Moan over!  But, seriously, if anyone can tell me where to get hold of a Broads Beat Cover, I would be extremely grateful if I could be told EXACTLY where and when that would be even better (and, no, not Hoveton Police Station or Norfolk Marine, already been there)  ;-)

• Like 2

Hi Pia

I'm not local or a boat owner but do think it would be a good idea to have the info in our Handy Information section.

I will try to pull some information together and get something sorted ( not be overnight though)

I'm sure WildFuzz will be able to let you know how to get a BroadsBeat cover

Having only used one northern rivers chandlery can you tell me which one angry santa is at please, by pm would be fine I don't expect a public naming.

Try wild fuzz for the outboard cover, if he don't know they don't realy exist, failing that I think you can get similar from wells harbour.

I have a bit of a hang up with these covers. The manufacturers engine cover is an integral part of the design of the whole engine. It keeps out damp,abrasive sand and dust, and holds in heat after the engine has stopped to make sure it is dry. Many components of outboards like starter motors, alternators ( though most small engines used on the broads probably charge via a coil ) are mounted vertically, not on the horizonal plane as say in a car engine, this makes them very prone to damp damage. I am not knocking the Police cover, but personally would put it over the OEM cover as I would never leave a modern OB. Without it's proper engine cover in place for extended periods.

1 hour ago, deebee29 said:

Hi Pia

I'm not local or a boat owner but do think it would be a good idea to have the info in our Handy Information section.

I will try to pull some information together and get something sorted ( not be overnight though)

I could add a few that I have managed to get hold of if it helps

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I have a bit of a hang up with these covers. The manufacturers engine cover is an integral part of the design of the whole engine. It keeps out damp,abrasive sand and dust, and holds in heat after the engine has stopped to make sure it is dry. Many components of outboards like starter motors, alternators ( though most small engines used on the broads probably charge via a coil ) are mounted vertically, not on the horizonal plane as say in a car engine, this makes them very prone to damp damage. I am not knocking the Police cover, but personally would put it over the OEM cover as I would never leave a modern OB. Without it's proper engine cover in place for extended periods.

I think your rather missing the point of the police cover, and putting it over your oem cover will only mean that your thief will have an unscratched cowl on your nicked engine so he can get a premium  price,.......rather than an engine with no cowl that any purchaser would have to source..........I know which way I would go........

and then if it seizes  put your cowl back on and hope for the best........(can't believe I just said that)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I honestly have never had an issue with "angry santa".   

Hes always been perfectly helpful and pleasant with me!! 

Maybe he just has bad days, we all get those! 

Ah - but you know who he is, don't you?  Yes, we all have bad days - he probably just has more than everyone else! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brandenjg said:

Hi Pia would love to see some photos of the boat :razz: is it still the dandy you're working on? Branden

Watch this space.  And thank you for all your helpful advice.  Yes, it is still the Dandy.  Could wish for a better boat.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming the id of angry santa folks, I thought that might be the place you were meaning.

However I have only been in there once looking at dinghy's and they couldn't have been more helpful, I queried the weight shown on the makers data and they were happy to get one out of the storeroom and let me open it and try the weight myself and even try lifting it from a step to simulate pulling it out of my lazarette, the deal was done and they were happy to deliver it to my works address in st.neots for free as we had a car full at the time, maybe he just gets on better with fellow miserable gits like me....

If he had been an ar5e I would have walked away and bought from my local place instead but wanted to see one fully inflated first.

• Like 3

If you want a Broadsbeat engine cover - contact Broadsbeat!:RiverPolice

Seriously - they sell them from Hoveton Police Station in 2 sizes. The idea is to take the cowl home with you and put the cover on. An engine is harder to sell without a cowl so leass attractive to thieves plus if you see one for sale the be suspicious and report.

I think Broadsbeat carry some on their boat as well so call them over if you see them. :Sailing

When insuring the husband's new fishing dinghy I told the insurers we had the police cover on the outboard and the broker told me they had never had a claim for a stolen outboard with one of those covers on.  I don't know how true that is, but that is what he told me.  There is an order form  - I have attached it.

outboard_engine_cover_order_form_2015-1.pdf

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

The guy in the happy shop really could do with some customer service lessons, it's that bad when you open the door he make you feel guilty with the look for letting a draft in !

John

I was once having a discussion about this individual with the late owner of a  Norfolk boat building company who told me he had known this chap for a great many years and that  actually he was he was really a very nice man who just gave the wrong impression.

Carole

Carole

• Like 2

22 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Hi Pia

OK, here we go!  My list so far is:

Walker Rubber & Plastics Ltd - Dozens of rubber fender extrusions in stock, or can manufacture to your own exact requirements. 21-23 Burnet Rd, Norwich NR3 2BS, Tel 01603 487371

Chris Nicholson - Marine Electrician, Horning but travels.  Tel 01692 630169 or 07888 700142

Ian's towing Service - boat towing.  07990 973631. boating143@live.co.uk

RS Carpentry & Boatbuilding - Boat Builder, repairs, paint & Varnish.  07900 21290

Lee Lasham - Marine Engineer, engine fitting etc. 07884 057423

UK Fixings - Stainless steel nuts, bolts, bits & Pieces.  Also Sika sealants.  36 Vulcan Rd S, Norwich NR6 6AF, 01603 301122, www.ukfixings.com

UA Glass Ltd - Glass cut to size including odd templates for boat windows. 4 Arminghall Close, Norwich NR3 3UE.  01603 414557.  uaglass.co.uk

I will let you know if I think of anyone else.
  • Like 4