What's The Big Secret?

Pia

Never had a problem with him (I think he fancies Jill), but if you want advice ask him nicely and you will  not be disappointed.

He once refused to sell me a part I thought I needed, but told me what was wrong and how to fix things.

A very dry sense of humour, I thought he was a frustrated yorkie.

paul

• Like 1

Hooray! I have just received my brand new Broads Beat Cover courtesy of PCSO Martin Chapman - chapmanmp@norfolk.pnn.police.co.uk .  He also tells me that he is re-stocking them at Norfolk Marine, Hoveton and is looking for other outlets.  One to add to the list of suppliers.

• Like 2

I can confirm that to my knowledge we have not had a reported engine theft that had one of the Broadsbeat covers on, a simple idea that seems to work. Have a look on Fleabay and see how much a second hand cowl is........ there must be a premium market for them, if you can find the right one, this I think puts thieves off and they go for one with a cowl in place.

• Like 6

Re maggots in the fridge, one of my daughters came through and said,'dad, come and look in the fridge', umm, the fridge was lined from top to bottom with crawling maggots! Since that day I have kept my maggots in a maggot box within a slightly bigger box with very secure clasps built into the lid. 

• Like 3

Pia, sorry but your post made me laugh – because all of what you have said is so true. 

I will try and be sympathetic to the smaller Chandlers out there, they don’t have the skill set or time to be able to produce a large website capable of listing every item they sell in store and then manage and maintain it – and paying someone to do this will cost many thousands of pounds.  However I just cannot understand it where you are dealing with international brands, or even those who have a small market share but surly wish to increase it?

I have been watching a guy in America turn a coach into a spectacular motorhome.  He has proably spent upwards of $70,000 just on batteries and power management – massive 24v Lithium Cells from Victron and networked electronics that mean he can see what the state of charge is from his Smartphone.  I like how he is doing things and I am learning about real cutting edge technology so how do you get it? How much does it cost? Victron Engery will help – nope.

You go to their site and you see all the clever descriptions, technical sheets and manuals – but what about prices? Not a bit of it.  You need to search for your nearest dealer – and so you find that there are a couple of places in Norfolk – one in Yarmouth and Peachments in Brundall. You head over to both their websites but one is nothing much more than a ‘shop front’ online. Peachments looks nice it really does and if you want a Nanni oil filter you are in luck –complete with price – but want to buy a Victron Isolation Tramsformer, ahh nope.

You get taken to a page talking about some of the products and batteries but that is it – no real information, certainly no prices.  I emailed them.  Couple of days pass and I get a reply, no direct information mind you because it depends on the specific installation requirements and such would need to be talked over the phone about to obtain more details and pricing.

I could have cash ready, jumping and keen to go and all I seek is a product and cost.  But no you need to talk and deal with people and discuss matters which means I need to do this during the working day when they are also at work.  

I am used to Amazon: Look. Find. Buy. Get. The point of any company and especially website is making it as quick and easy as possible for someone to spend their money – not add hurdles and barriers to go through or get over. 

So, I find out that Victron do a lot of products that cross over between the marine world and the commercial/residential world or solar power. Makes sense, turn DC from a solar panel into AC for your home. Ah ha! Now I am looking at companies who have nothing to do with the marine industry – everything is simple, up front and masses of information available and guess what – prices. Oh yes just click, add to basket, checkout and hey presto you can have your order with you in a couple of days.

The same goes for engines – I don’t mean outboards (though even there the costs vary considerable between dealers) but inboard.  Imagine I own a boat with a 60HP engine in it and want to change it for a new one.  If I go to a boatyard to discuss this what will I actually get? They may supply and fit Nanni engines so firstly may recommend one of those, what about a Vetus, or Solé Diesel how do they compare – in sort the chap there will know a lot about one brand, some about another and not much about the rest. That is fine and to be expected you would not go to a Honda dealer and expect to be told a great deal about a Ford – but you’d hope they would know enough about the competition to be able to talk about how good their Honda is over the Ford rival and why you need to go with Honda.

I know that with a boat it varies a lot – but the basics are still the same. The engine and gear box must have a starting price before anything else is factored in.  Even a rough idea – is it likely to be £15,000 or £25,000 or somewhere between? You’d think this sort of basic information would be available easily online – try and find out the very rough cost of a Volvo Penta engine and the same HP Yanmar as an example.

• Like 1

Robin, you are just complicating things! Keep it basic, far less to go wrong. Phone up Jeckells, tell them the name of your boat, they will probably have the details somewhere, hey presto, a few weeks later and you will have a nice new set of sails, what could be more simple? They will even come and fit them on for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Robin, you'll never be let down by the wind, might have to change your plans though!

Ain't that the truth, I sometimes wish I had a sailing boat as it seems everytime I plan to take the boat out for a cruise it's always too bloody windy.

Any sailors out there if you want a windy day just give me a message, I'll plan to take the boat out and the gods will surely make it blow a typhoon to stop me.

• Like 4

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, Wildfuzz said:

I can confirm that to my knowledge we have not had a reported engine theft that had one of the Broadsbeat covers on, a simple idea that seems to work. Have a look on Fleabay and see how much a second hand cowl is........ there must be a premium market for them, if you can find the right one, this I think puts thieves off and they go for one with a cowl in place.

Is the 2015 online order form still valid ? I'm having absolutely no joy sourcing a cover 'over the counter' - Wroxham nick is never open, and if you go to Norfolk Marine as the sign on the door suggests they do not have any, nor any idea when they will get them

1 hour ago, RumPunch said:

Is the 2015 online order form still valid ? I'm having absolutely no joy sourcing a cover 'over the counter' - Wroxham nick is never open, and if you go to Norfolk Marine as the sign on the door suggests they do not have any, nor any idea when they will get them

Contact PCSO Martin Chapman chapmanmp@norfolk.pnn.police.co.uk .  He got one for me.

3 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Contact Christine or Mark at Tingdene Marina on 01603 717804, they have two sizes, that cost £28.30 & £32.00 you will however have to give them your engine details in order for them to sell you one.

Regards

Alan