Turn Off!

addicted

I'm beginning to think I must be the only woman who finds Poldark and the whole hype that goes with it a total turn off. I'm sick of opening a newspaper  to see more photographs of a" nothing to write home about" actor. It lost me half way through the 2nd episode of the1st series, a load of melodramatic tosh!  The little I  saw of the original series of years ago was infinitely better. Bring back Judge John Deed- please!

Carole

• Like 1

That's the point I was making, I don't watch it but I'm bombarded with it in the press, which I find very irritating. I know it's what is known as the "silly season" with regards to press matters but there should be limit.   I'm surprised you find an hour a day  worth watching at this time of the year

Carole

• Like 1

I'm not a Poldark fan but my sister is, so she is looking forwards to it no end. We were both fans of Judge John Deed, Downton and Spooks (so pretty varied tastes) but I reckon those series' have gone about as far as they could.

Sorry to tell you but the Poldark books suggest that there are many more series' to come. Oh, we liked Foyle's war too. TV at it's best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hylander said:

I watched it the first time around many moons ago that was enough,  never have looked at any of these remakes. TV gets worse,  thank goodness for sport.

Sport? Now you've really made my eyes glaze over - Wimbledon being the exception

Carole

Even Wimbledon is getting hard to watch these days,

Constant inane chatter from presenters, camera looking at so called celebrities in the audience instead of the match.

Plus the unnecessary way the BBC keep changing the channel. Sometime up to 3 or 4 times  during  the course of a match.

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur said:

The very mention of Wimbledon sends shivers of boredom down the spine.

Two weeks of mind numbing ball banging which the beeb believes is good viewing on ALL their chanels.

Still i'm sure they will drag out there queen of all sports "Clare Balding" to help us understand the intricasies of this particular sport. Quite how she has amassed such an in depth understanding of all manner of sports must be one of lifes unfathomable mysteries.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Constant inane chatter from presenters, camera looking at so called celebrities in the audience instead of the match.

Plus the unnecessary way the BBC keep changing the channel. Sometime up to 3 or 4 times  during  the course of a match.

Couldn't agree more about  the BBC imitating beyond further orders but then when does the BBC ever consider their audience, we're only the poor saps who pay them!  The other thing that has been undesirable for the last few years is the en-masse Australian yob element in the audience. Why hasn't someone got the nous to split them up and give their tickets more widely dispersed throughout the court, it's only because there is so many of them sitting together that they are able to be such a nuisance. Don't get me started on the grunters!

Carole

I don't watch television. I received a letter from the TV License people the other day to let me know that my 'claim' was up for renewal. My 'claim'? Incensed I was about to write to the BBC however, in order to do this you have to fill out a form with your license number or fill out another form explaining why you 'claim' not to watch TV as though not watching television is some sort of 'disability'. 

In the end, I'm not going to bother contacting Aunty Beeb. Having seen what passes for programming on the odd occasion I've seen TV at someone else's house...I'm not the one with problems! :naughty:

Radio, on the other hand, I do listen to. Although since Nick Robinson joined the team I no longer listen to Today on Radio Four. To be honest I give BBC News and topical coverage a wide berth these days. Cricket...now the BBC do good cricket commentary. Tuffers had me in stitches yesterday!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arthur said:

I agree with you.      As you say the constant changing of the channel and for what?      

I've got to say honestly, I can't remember the last time I actually 'watched' television on a television. I tend to watch a lot of things that I choose that have nothing to do with mainstream programing. So I have my daily look about You Tube and catch up with various Sailing and Boating channels there, then might turn to Amazon Prime Video for a film or a documentary. I only watch iPlayer really and even then will be rare, just looking through and picking out something that seems worth while - the recent series 'White Gold' was an example. I am sure there are a lot of people like me who might watch a bit of catch up but generally stream things on a basis of when I want it.

I do wonder how it is so many continue to pay for Sky - I mean sure if you want the Sports but otherwise it seems so expensive for a lot of pointless programs.

I have sky and only watch the quest channel. unfortunately its not available on live streaming any more, and out local freeview is only a repeater, so does not have most of the channels (I think we get about 12 freeview channels).

Generally the TV is only on in the background. I did consider ditching sky a while back.

Every now and then we have the conversation of - shall we get shot of Sky , and the same reply comes back from me,  oh I wont be able to watch the cricket , snooker , etc.

if anyone has any ideas how I can watch these independently of Sky ,   I would love to hear.

Quite agree Alan regarding the licence, what an annoyance. We used to pay around £100 a month to Sky as I love football but rarely watch much else.

Around 2 years ago we cancelled the lot and haven't regretted it at all. If you know where to look you can still watch the footy too

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

6 hours ago, Hylander said:

Every now and then we have the conversation of - shall we get shot of Sky , and the same reply comes back from me,  oh I wont be able to watch the cricket , snooker , etc.

if anyone has any ideas how I can watch these independently of Sky ,   I would love to hear.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way and  apologise if it sounds that way, but if as stated above Sky costs between £50 and £150, that would be enough to go and watch it live several times a month. I watch live football every week of the season, far more exciting than watching on a television.

• Like 1

Have only Freeview and rarely use other than for news channels. Find You Tube through the TV far more interesting and if I do see  a preview of something I like then buy via  iTunes or similar. Can't beat the radio, especially BBC Radio 3 and 4. Really think TV has lost it's way. Everything seems to have been dumbned down so much, little to excite or stimulate. 

Fred

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way and  apologise if it sounds that way, but if as stated above Sky costs between £50 and £150, that would be enough to go and watch it live several times a month. I watch live football every week of the season, far more exciting than watching on a television.

When I used to subscribe to Sky it was in addition to the 50 quid plus travel costs to go watch live games.

No wonder I was always skint, although, now I don't pay them 100 quid a month I'm still skint

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

We recently kicked sky into touch and find most of what we wanted is on freeview or Freesat (out to has both tuners) anyway.

We also got Now TV movies & entertainment at about £16.00 per month and amazon video (included in prime subscription) 

We order a lot through amazon so the video package is basically free.

as opposed to 50 odd quid for sky

When I cancelled Uncle Albert's Sky TV package £163 a month (he had every channel and enhancement they offered) SKY salesmen seemed to go into meltdown. They kept bringing the price down for the same package of channels hoping 'he'd stay with them'. Eventually, they brought the price down from £163 to £30 a month for three months for the exact same package of channels.
"I just don't understand why your father would not accept this offer?" said the salesman.
"Because, for the last time, he died you, idiot," I shouted and put the phone down.

Now to give SKY their due they must monitor their calls because within half an hour of this conversation I was contacted by SKY customer services by a telephone call from a totally different number. It seemed to be an older lady on the phone who apologised profusely and they sent me a cheque for £500.

So if you want cheaper SKY TV, ring them up, tell them you can't afford it, and barter.

When we lived in the UK we had sky everything. We moved to Germany and kept sky everything (don't ask its complicated but possible). Then we moved to Belgium and had sky everything (yes still complicated but possible). Now we live in Switzerland and its still possible but with everything in Der Schweiz its bloomin expensive. So we have our internet providers cable TV (no you pervs not like that) that has the freebies ususally available on freesat etc. and Netflix and iplayer and everything else. Guess what we don't miss it at all.  It's not illegal in CH to stream other peoples paid for feeds which is quite amusing.

Everyone here pays to have a radio digital or otherwise and its not cheap but you simply cant get away from it. Same in Germany and Belgium too. Difference is here not paying it gets you noticed and its criminal if you subsequently are caught with one. There is a church tax too but we don't pay that, we just listen to the bells. It drowns out the tinkling of the cows.  We pay dog tax of 100CHF per dog per year, mandatory chipping with canton issued ID tags (they have a bear on them which is quite cute) Not on topic but interesting none the less.

I don't like the Biased Broadcasting Corporation, nor the way it is funded and I stopped watching their news output years ago when I noticed it was entirely one sided most of the time. For work I had to learn what a logical fallacy was (appeals from authority etc), and an extended quotation or pre supposition first mind you. That learning experience changed the way I viewed all news broadcasts to be honest. The great part is that the kids learned all about this at school in their Theory Of Knowledge courses for the I.B. Having theoretical discussions on logical fallacies over dinner was very challenging with two older teens. 

Interestingly the Beeb takes over 1/3 of every single paper copy of the Gruniad sold. Thousands of them. You would expect a media organisation to use the electronic version but no.... For a laugh you could look at the Guardian then at the BBC news output and spot the common themes and interpretations all over the place.  Its especially evident on BBC news 24 (for foreigners). Compare and Contrast that with France 24, Al Jazeera and Russia today for a laugh. Its a game a friend and I play which moves the day along sometimes. OK you got your homeweork now....Written paper in my inbox end of next week please.

That Cambridge education will come in handy.