BA Notification - Reedham Bridge

in victorian times they did not have continuously welded rail, and trains went clickety clack across the joints in the rails, which were big enough to take up the expansion when hot and the contraction when cold, I would imagine when the bridges were built the rails were in several sections across the bridge, so the expansion of the rails was less than now where the rail across the bridge is probably one continuous length, so any expansion has to occur at the ends.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

n victorian times they did not have continuously welded rail, and trains went clickety clack across the joints in the rails, which were big enough to take up the expansion when hot and the contraction when cold, I would imagine when the bridges were built the rails were in several sections across the bridge, so the expansion of the rails was less than now where the rail across the bridge is probably one continuous length, so any expansion has to occur at the ends.

They are probably worried about opening it in these conditions, in case they can't close it again! This has happened before at Reedham.

We got stuck there a few weeks back when they had a power failure. We spent 4 hrs on the pontoon before water was low enough for us to get through. 

No idea how long it had been a problem before we got there or when it finally opened. 

Again, the power failed when it was conveniently closed!!

I know theres some would say its just one of those things but if tall vessels were requiring passage for trade closures would be unacceptable.

If heat is the problem they should be able to take steps in advance to alleviate the issue, the BA and us river folk should not be so tolerant but at the same time I appreciate those at the sharp end are doing a good job. 

Somerleyton's summer rails are still laid there!

Don't suppose anybody thought of hosing the bridge down if it won't close. I believe there may be a suitable water supply nearby? Used to work for Lowestoft bascule bridge.

• Like 2

Somerleyton wasn't openening yesterday, the board said due to the heat.  It was 21deg !

it did open after 7pm though

We have just passed through 8.20am at low water and there is an army of orange coated workers having a look at it

John

19 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Somerleyton's summer rails are still laid there!

Don't suppose anybody thought of hosing the bridge down if it won't close. I believe there may be a suitable water supply nearby? Used to work for Lowestoft bascule bridge.

A 60' rail used expand approx 1/4" so they allowed approx 1/8" on each end. Not such a problem on a bridge but with cwr the expansion joints each end were half tappers allowing appox 4 - 5" expansion each end, this where the problems arise the lwr expanding over the bridge swing points taking up the 60' ends expansion. ... The 100% cure would be to replace the lwr for a few miles either side of the bridges with 60' rails making trains wheels noisey every 60'.

Charlie

• Like 1

I use to like the 'clickerty clack' on my trips into London. I could tell by the rhythm if we were slowing down. Maintenance is one thing but if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

Colincheersbar

p.s. Why are these in my emoticons?:facepalm:cheers

1 hour ago, Islander said:

I use to like the 'clickerty clack' on my trips into London.

Anyone who has tried to lift a length of 60ft bull-head rail will know how many strong men it takes! This is a serious amount of metal and once it has expanded, it takes a long time to cool down again.

A bit off the subject but as a young boy, I had the privilege to know three of the drivers of the Britannia locomotives that hauled the expresses from Norwich to London and I once rode on the footplate of "Coeur de Lion", driven by George Holmes, from Norwich to Diss.

They had no speedometers then but they knew their speed by the beat of the wheels on the 60ft rail. You got used to the steady diddly-dum diddly-dum diddly-dum of the coach bogies. Once the train got near to Stowmarket, the rhythm became so fast that the fourth beat got somehow lost, and all you heard was diddle-um diddle-um diddle-um diddle-um diddle-um

When that happened, you were going over a hundred miles an hour, and the stewards in the restaurant car were the only ones who could stay on their feet. Passengers were best to remain seated!

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan, as a boy my dad took me to Bressingham steam collection. In those days they were running a brittania class loco and could ride on the footplate. I couldn't believe how big it was. The track then was very short but worth every second. Elf and safety have stopped that I've been told. If you read some of my older posts there is as pic of the 5"gauge 70008 built by my dad.

as for the bridges. I think I'll just lower the canopy and screen just to be sure anyway.

Colincheers

n.b. Emoti working ok again! Gremlin somewhere but the 2singing and drinking one that falls over is still missing. Strange.

• Like 1