Done To A Crisp

Broadsword

Out and about today and very lovely it was too. There was an inordinate amount of naked flesh on display; some of it quite nice to look at, some enough to put me off my lunch... however, on the good ship OBY, arms, legs midriffs et al, were safely covered up. Any bits missed by clothing or woad, were doused in factor 30. To see some, you would think they had never heard of the risk of excessive exposure to the sun. On what was probably the day with the highest UV levels of the year so far, it was quite concerning to see how red some bodies were!

• Like 5

When we were a lot younger we would spend six to eight hours on the beach. Using fector nil.Now wiser and older we tend to keep out of the sun.We always had a  laugh  seeing people  come in from the UK onto the beach. Very soon going bright red.We called it the Gatwick tan

• Like 1

When I was a kid, mum & dad used to take my sister and I down to Chalkwell beach to get the "sunburn stage" over and done with for the year. 2 days of hell then fine till next summer. Things were different back then. !

Sent on my twin bongo drums with a broken stick.

• Like 6

OK ladies and gentlemen here's this year's must have product for those like me that suffer badly from the sun.

Having been born and worked most of my life in a hot climate I am not happy that my medication makes me sensitive to the sun. You are either covered up or lathered up. If you are sanding a boat or cutting hedges you then get grit stuck all over you. Not pleasant.

Ellie got me to trial a product for her. Tancream. Developed by a Lady who has skin cancer and her team who were chemistry types for Boots.

Tancream is factor 50 non sticky wonder stuff. My skin does not react or burn in the sun, nor do I end up stuck to the eyeballs. Just soft smooth skin... With some colour to it as the Tancream also has a bit of colour too.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

OK ladies and gentlemen here's this year's must have product for those like me that suffer badly from the sun.

Having been born and worked most of my life in a hot climate I am not happy that my medication makes me sensitive to the sun. You are either covered up or lathered up. If you are sanding a boat or cutting hedges you then get grit stuck all over you. Not pleasant.

Ellie got me to trial a product for her. Tancream. Developed by a Lady who has skin cancer and her team who were chemistry types for Boots.

Tancream is factor 50 non sticky wonder stuff. My skin does not react or burn in the sun, nor do I end up stuck to the eyeballs. Just soft smooth skin... With some colour to it as the Tancream also has a bit of colour too.

and where to get this wonder product - with my blonde complexion I start at factor 50, and work upwards through whitewash to boot polish.

• Like 3

I'm showing 32.5c on my weather station outside and 31.5 at sunny side of the house and 29 in the room with the sun due round in a few hours. I was finishing put the insulation boards in my man shed but had to quit. Do do hot.

Dogs been in his pool, Need to move the tower fan into the passage for him tomorrow whilst at work.

Right, I'm back from one of those family barbeque thingies where you all sit baking in the sun and some twonk then lights a fire to burn some meat and make you all even hotter. Outside temperature peaking at 34 degrees according to the thermometer on my car and on my watch. While all around me were burning lobster red, although equally hot I have not burned at all even though I was out in the sun playing with my granddaughter thanks to my TANCREAM.

I've been trialling this stuff for a couple of months now. First...I'm not burning. Second...my skin is not sticky, as I get with other high factor lotions, and I'm consequently not stuck up with wood shavings. Third...people actually comment on how 'well' I'm looking. Now I must look shocking normally, but folks are actually commenting to my other half 'Tim's looking good these days'. I think this is because I have some colour to my face as the TANCREAM has some colour to it. So come the evening where I should be having some colour to my complexion I'm not my usual drip white where I've been covered up.

Now, folks, I am not being paid to promote this stuff, I'm just finding that it really works for me. It is expensive though. £39.99 for 100ml. It's available from Browns of Gainsborough or through the TANCREAM website at www.tancream.co.uk.

• Like 1

Not something I've been able to organise. I did send feedback saying 'change the packaging to gender neutral and add an insecticide and every outdoor type would be banging on your door '.

23C+-0.5C in this lab.

I don't miss the heat of Saudi, out there it was factor 50 all the time. i don't need fator anything in the UK unless I'm spending a lot of time on the water.

Yesterday the Model Railway Shed reached 35C+ inside with two doors open and the roof vent.

The house at home was 25C downstairs when I left for work at 06:00, but as you went upstairs you hit a wall of heat, again this was with windows open upstairs and down stairs.

I've been something of a spoilt so and so in hot weather so far as work goes when we did a move of offices, I forgave having my own and now am in one large room with four others - but we have the only room with air conditioning.

Likewise at home I have over the years had a number of 'mobile' air conditioners. They may be on wheels, but they sure are heavy so not so 'mobile' as they might claim. The issue with them is they have a large diameter hose to stick out a window for example but are besot with two design flaws. Often there is one fan motor that drives two separate squirrel cage fan assemblies.  One sends hot air from the condenser outside and the other cool air from the evaporator in to the room from the top of the unit.

You get negative air pressure right away where all this air being expelled from the hose out the window has to be replaced - from outside with warm humid air. To make matters worse, while the fan has to speed at a high RPM to get as much waste heat from the condenser out as possible, also running the fan at this same RPM for the evaporator side means air passes so quickly over the cool coils it has little time to shed its heat and moisture.

Try and close gaps and so on around windows will cause the more negative air flow and your notice shutting a door has some resistance to closing as the gap between door and door frame reduces.

In short there terribly inefficient - they will get to a certain humidity and temperature relative to outside and that will be about that. It makes rooms more bearable, and as the external air temperature and humidity fall so too your room will become cooler and dryer as the air being drawn into the room will itself be cooler.

I have a rare breed of unit - a duel pipe model. This sucks external air in and expels it outside again only for cooling the condenser, a separate fan deals with recycling room air passing it through the evaporator - over a period the already cooler and less humid air in the room continues to get cooler and cooler and more dry.

Another option is split systems - once they cost a fortune, but now can be had for under £500.00. Thing is they need an external unit (the condenser) that has to go on a wall and through the wall the refrigerant pipes to the interior unit but these again just recycle and cool the air in the room and maintain.

I think better than solar panels would be for more to invest in reverse cycling units - cool in the summer and heat in the winter. In heating, because the electricity is only use to run a motor to turn the compressor, and the refrigerant turning from liquid to gas deal with the heating or cooling it is the most efficient way to heat (using electricity) since for ever 1Kw of energy you use to drive the unit, your get more than 1Kw of heat energy out of the unit. They are less efficient mind you running in cooling mode.

Like the idea Jonzo but ceiling height 6'2" on the boat and I'm 6'1":facepalm: now I quite like still having hair at 63 so a wind sail for the fwd hatch could be the next project.

Robin, we had a one piece through the wall unit where I used to work at Millers Music in Cambridge some 40+years ago. It was about the size of 2 large suitcases on top of each other. I remember helping to lift it onto its mountings. This was located in the office which was in the basement of the shop. Normally this was a fairly stable temp area but we had upgraded the computer system with a half gig hard drive. It was the size of an American washing machine and kicked out a lot of heat!!! There was no easy way to duct the heat outside. The heat pump unit did a great job and still wonder if I could use my keel coolers in a similar way. Food for thought over the winter.

Colin:wasted:

Guys / Gals if you want to maintain a lower temperature. DONT OPEN THE WINDOWS......

If the air outside in the shade 6 ft off the ground is 30 degrees then the sunny air coming in your windows will be a darn sight warmer. Do what the swiss and Germans do they either have shutters or blinds or curtains which they close during the hot sunny periods during the day. Our house here is a confortable 5-6 degrees lower inside than the air outside. We either shut the shutters if we have them or curtains on those rooms we don't have shutters closed. As soon as you open the windows you lose immediately. Don't forget the feeling of moving air being cooler is just an artefact caused by the properties of water i.e Sweat. evaporating from the skin using heat from the skin to vaporise and disappear. In high humidity places this doesn't work of course.

The temperature must be over 84 before we (humans) start having active cooling issues as that's the accomodation temperature where your body has to start using energy to cool down. Which is why A&E and high dependency wards and neonatal units are all at that temp or warmer.

Most important for everyone is to stay out of direct sunlight when it's this hot and drink loads to maintain hydration. The elderly don't always know they are dehydrated and can suffer sun stroke or heat prostration very quickly.

I have 34 degrees outside and ceiling fan going in my office, external blinds down and windows shut. Still warm but cooler than my colleagues who like their windows open. I must admit that at home the 30 mm tripple glazing does help quite a bit. I'm just glad we don't have to pay for it as we rent the house.

Owning a woodie also means I'm quite pleased not to be floating in this heat. 

• Like 1