Aston Boats And Fp Newson

tjg1677

Hello again.

As promised from the conniseur thread, I would dearly love to know all about the above Boatyard. Aston was my first ever venture on the broads and ( I believe ) we were the last ones to hire Emerald from Newsons before she was sold. Somewhere at home I still have the wooden nameplate off her transom. The yard manager at the time Richard I think he was called, an ex SPG man, or so rumour has it, was a good friend of my father in law who captained a ship out of lowrstoft and knew a lot of the oulton crowd via the Commodore and the 147 snooker club if I recall correctly. 

Anyone who can shed any ditties, history or general tale, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance Vaughan lol...

cheers

Trev.

• Like 1

Thanks Vaughan seems I have got you there lol. So little on the internet about them hence the request here. 

Ray - Yes Aston were a good yard my brother would not hire from anyone else. I believe most of their more modern fleet were seamaster hulls  and mouldings fitted out by themselves in their distinctive way. I wasn't aware of the prior connection, I did a fair bit of time at priors shipyard in lowestoft when I worked for cam  shipping in Grimsby, priors did a few conversions from trawlers to North sea standby vessels owned by cam. Small world........

• 2 years later...
On 18/06/2017 at 01:18, tjg1677 said:

Hello again.

As promised from the conniseur thread, I would dearly love to know all about the above Boatyard. Aston was my first ever venture on the broads and ( I believe ) we were the last ones to hire Emerald from Newsons before she was sold. Somewhere at home I still have the wooden nameplate off her transom. The yard manager at the time Richard I think he was called, an ex SPG man, or so rumour has it, was a good friend of my father in law who captained a ship out of lowrstoft and knew a lot of the oulton crowd via the Commodore and the 147 snooker club if I recall correctly. 

Anyone who can shed any ditties, history or general tale, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance Vaughan lol...

cheers

Trev.

Trevor,

I don’t know much about the Astons, but my father is the Richard from Newsons, the ex SPG man is also correct, just for info.

I have recently tried to locate our old fleet in a separate thread Newsons 1980s Fleet where are they now.

would you be interested in selling the Emerald name plaque? If so I would be very interested. 

regards

Toby

We hired Aston Nelson 4 years in a row in the late 80's. Smashing boat so comfortable and easy to control. The staff at the Beccles yard was so welcoming and helpful. We always arrived early and they were always ready for us one year we were away by 11.00 am. I may well be wrong but I have the name Michael Osborne in my head as manager. I have attached a photo of Aston Nelson I am sure members will be able to tell me where we were!

aston nelsom.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Matthew12 said:

Aston vanguard is now song of freedom I belive

Screenshot_20200514_091959_com.android.chrome.jpg

You're correct. I hired it last year and it has a lovely classic feel about it. In my childhood I holidayed with my parents on Aston Goblin which had the same layout.

On 14/05/2020 at 19:53, Broads01 said:

You're correct. I hired it last year and it has a lovely classic feel about it. In my childhood I holidayed with my parents on Aston Goblin which had the same layout.

In Aston days it had a blue Hull I believe the old hoeseasons logo is near the helm on a plastic pack thing but it's still in really good condition and I belive they have 2 or 3 of astons boats

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matthew12 said:

In Aston days it had a blue Hull I believe the old hoeseasons logo is near the helm on a plastic pack thing but it's still in really good condition and I belive they have 2 or 3 of astons boats

Yes indeed, Sweet Freedom is ex- Aston Broadsword and Rambling Freedom is ex-Aston Humber.

• 2 weeks later...