Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjg1677

Aston Boats And Fp Newson

4 posts in this topic

Hello again.

As promised from the conniseur thread, I would dearly love to know all about the above Boatyard. Aston was my first ever venture on the broads and ( I believe ) we were the last ones to hire Emerald from Newsons before she was sold. Somewhere at home I still have the wooden nameplate off her transom. The yard manager at the time Richard I think he was called, an ex SPG man, or so rumour has it, was a good friend of my father in law who captained a ship out of lowrstoft and knew a lot of the oulton crowd via the Commodore and the 147 snooker club if I recall correctly. 

Anyone who can shed any ditties, history or general tale, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance Vaughan lol...

cheers

Trev.

deebee29 likes this

6 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

Thanks in advance Vaughan lol...

Sorry mate, but you've got me on that one!

I know little or nothing about them, although I know that they always had a very high reputation on the Broads.

Hi Trevor

Like you hired many times from Aston's both London and Beccles

I do know at one time they where owned or partly owned by the Prior family Jim Prior was for a long while MP for Lowestoft

Ray

Thanks Vaughan seems I have got you there lol. So little on the internet about them hence the request here. 

Ray - Yes Aston were a good yard my brother would not hire from anyone else. I believe most of their more modern fleet were seamaster hulls  and mouldings fitted out by themselves in their distinctive way. I wasn't aware of the prior connection, I did a fair bit of time at priors shipyard in lowestoft when I worked for cam  shipping in Grimsby, priors did a few conversions from trawlers to North sea standby vessels owned by cam. Small world........