More Stupidly On The River

Well here we go again , mix stupid people n alcohol n boats n the net result is mayhem , Saturday's incident that started at church fen with numerous persons in the water from 3 day boats from WRC ended up with their arrests at Norwich , OK so some might think its just a bit of fun but trying to board a boat at the stern while its actually in drive and moving backwards could be very much life changing if your not very very lucky which thankfully they were , reported by lots of people including myself and witness statement made yesterday too and as far as I can gather BA are hoping to prosecute on this matter , one slip or miscalculation on Saturday evening could have ment loss of a limbs or even life , iv no idea how far the trial goes back down the yare but I do know they were thrown out of coldham hall and broads beat informed , here at church fen it was impossible to get hold of the police or BA for that matter it being 6.20 pm , it wasn't an emergacy as such but it is big problem getting hold of people to report things as they are happening my personal 3/4 of an hr on the phone to 101 proves that n still I didn't get through to Norfolk police .

At the end of the day someone did , I knew they were headed for Norwich and rang several people who I knew were moored further up river n they made whitlingham in 1 hr  so deffinatly speeding  to say nothing of the mayhem the caused n nope not a stag or a hen party a mixed group all with a total lack of respect for their surroundings and more importantly their own life's .

Just now, brundallNavy said:

Ive been told 3 boats had the keys confver the weekend around the Brundall area.

Doug 

Could well be the,same three all were detained and keys taken at NYS by the police , they sure .ADR themselves stand out witness's at church fen , surlingham ferry,  bramerton , freedom boats whitlingham  n highly likely the yacht station , all of us see crazy things on the river n I've seen my fair share but nothing compared to that how no one got seriously hurt is pure luck nothing else , boat props don't take any prisoner's .

A prop took a guys foot off just a mile from my house a few years back, the guy was sitting on the back of the boat on a tarp that had been covering it over when the tarp got caught in the prop dragging him in the river with it, guy at the helm reversed towards him to rescue him, oops!

• Like 1

They went past us at about 3-3:30 on Saturday. We were at Hardly Cross. They were well on their way to merriment then. We did think they were going in the wrong direction!!!!

standing in the roof, 8-9 on each boat. 

I know they got reported by people at Bramerton as well. 

There were around 20-30 students (16 year old) jumping in at the fen  mooring on Friday as it was their last day at school but none had boats. Maybe the hire boats saw them and thought " that's a good idea" but adults didn't have as much common sense as the kids did.

Last year I was moored up at the Commodore at Oulton Broad when three WRC dayboats came and moored up. The cockpits were awash with empties and spilt ice, the crews were hammered. Granted that we all had a laugh both with and at their antics but their behaviour did beg the question, why?

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Last year I was moored up at the Commodore at Oulton Broad when three WRC dayboats came and moored up. The cockpits were awash with empties and spilt ice, the crews were hammered. Granted that we all had a laugh both with and at their antics but their behaviour did beg the question, why?

It only needs one sober crew member to be in charge of a boat full intoxicated crew, and in general, as long as the antics are not putting others or them selves at risk, or risk damaging property or ruining the enjoyment of others, then what is the main issue?

I guess the main issue is the fact that there is not one sober crew member on board ! 

Under these circumstances the boat needs to be impounded and the crew placed in an area where least harm can happen to them or others. Do they still have cells at Police stations lol ? 24 hours to sober up, plus charge them overnight accommodation costs too. 

With modern antifouls, keel hauling wouldn't be that effective these days lol. 

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Granted that we all had a laugh both with and at their antics but their behaviour did beg the question, why?

Same reason most town centres are littered with comatose youngsters on Friday and Saturday nights. They can't seem to enjoy themselves unless they end up in casualty, or can't remember what happened to them the next morning. What happened to "Drunk and Disorderly"? Years ago you'd spend a night in the cells sobering up, with a small fine to follow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

It only needs one sober crew member to be in charge of a boat full intoxicated crew,

Imagine this. You are the designated sober one. Everybody else on your craft is pie-eyed, they are also friends of yours. Now, tell me again just how you are going to control them? How are you going to stop them when they all think that going for a swim is a jolly good idea? and finally, how are you going to stop them drinking when it's obvious that they've all had more than enough?

33 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Granted that we all had a laugh both with and at their antics but their behaviour did beg the question, why?

They were having fun Peter, no more, no less.

15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

What happened to "Drunk and Disorderly"?

I'm here. :) hic

• Like 1

That said, Loo, we didn't drink to near extinction!

15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Same reason most town centres are littered with comatose youngsters on Friday and Saturday nights. They can't seem to enjoy themselves unless they end up in casualty, or can't remember what happened to them the next morning. What happened to "Drunk and Disorderly"? Years ago you'd spend a night in the cells sobering up, with a small fine to follow.

Got to agree with that!

• Like 1

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Imagine this. You are the designated sober one. Everybody else on your craft is pie-eyed, they are also friends of yours. Now, tell me again just how you are going to control them? How are you going to stop them when they all think that going for a swim is a jolly good idea? and finally, how are you going to stop them drinking when it's obvious that they've all had more than enough?

They were having fun Peter, no more, no less.

I'm here. :) hic

But there are extremes! We were drawn into their merriment, a good session it was, but we didn't become legless.

My question of 'why' is, I think perfectly valid. Why are people drawn to boats and excess boozing? Merriment, great, all for it, being incapable, well, I had grown out of that before I was legally able to visit pubs!

Did you end up in casualty? Did you wake up in a gutter covered in vomit? Did you not know what happened to you the night before? I didn't. The level of drinking is on a completely different plane, nowadays. Let the young have fun, by all means, but that shouldn't mean the rest of the world has to be afraid to venture out of their doors, or go about their daily business. Which is what happens in a lot of places when things are as out of control as they are.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Did you end up in casualty? Did you wake up in a gutter covered in vomit? Did you not know what happened to you the night before? I didn't.

Almost ...... You clearly led a very different life to me in your youth.

I nearly killed myself ..... sadly a couple of my friends did.

Remember no MOT, no breatalyser and a feeling of uforia as we emerged from the constraints of wartime Britain.

Had the pubs not closed at 10:30 I reckon life would have been then much as it is now.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Did you end up in casualty? Did you wake up in a gutter covered in vomit? Did you not know what happened to you the night before? I didn't. The level of drinking is on a completely different plane, nowadays. Let the young have fun, by all means, but that shouldn't mean the rest of the world has to be afraid to venture out of their doors, or go about their daily business. Which is what happens in a lot of places when things are as out of control as they are.

2 out of 3 ain't bad....

Two-Out-Of-Three-Aint-Bad-Meat-Loaf-2.jpg

• Like 1