More Stupidly On The River

20 hours ago, Regulo said:

Did you end up in casualty? Did you wake up in a gutter covered in vomit? Did you not know what happened to you the night before? I didn't. The level of drinking is on a completely different plane, nowadays. Let the young have fun, by all means, but that shouldn't mean the rest of the world has to be afraid to venture out of their doors, or go about their daily business. Which is what happens in a lot of places when things are as out of control as they are.

The Mods and Rockers , did I believe cause absoloute carnage throughout Britain 50 years ago. I suspect they were fuelled by more than Pepsi and smarties. Let's not rewrite history allowing nostalgia and our ageing outlook to cloud our judgement.

Their is evidence that the youth of today actually behave better and take less risks than the one of my and previous generations.

• Like 9

The increase in technology means that people are more aware of drunken antics. They've always happened it's just that you hear about it more these days so people assume my generation are all p***heads junkies and general snowflakes

• Like 5

Did the three boats concerned have bunting on them? I ask because we were passed by three day boats from WRC around 11am Saturday morning near Herringfleet and there were two people on two of the boats with three on the last. If these are the same boats then it would seem that they picked up a lot of passengers somewhere after Herringfleet, possibly at Reedham? If so it must be very hard for the yards to regulate this from happening.

Yes they did have bunting when they passed us at Hardley mill.There must have been at least 10 on each boat.Having fun is not the issue here what they were doing was dangerous.I am very surprised that no one came harm.They were towing across the river jumping from boat to boat .We were jolly glad that we were moored out of their way.

41 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Did the three boats concerned have bunting on them? I ask because we were passed by three day boats from WRC around 11am Saturday morning near Herringfleet and there were two people on two of the boats with three on the last. If these are the same boats then it would seem that they picked up a lot of passengers somewhere after Herringfleet, possibly at Reedham? If so it must be very hard for the yards to regulate this from happening.

That's a very good point , not sure about the bunting but all 3 boats were very heavily laden with person's when they weren't in the river that is boats were 2x pilots, 1x bosun , now I know some seam to think they were just having fun but I don't consider that reversing a boat at speed when there are persons in the water behind you to be particularly funny its downright irresponsible and could have easily cost someone their leg ,foot , or even worse , that then escalates the situation to an emergacy which costs both money and time , being detained at Norwich was probably the best thing to happen to them .  

1 hour ago, jeffbroadslover said:

makes me wonder if any of them had an idea of jumping in a car and driving home after their "fun" day out or would that be considered irresponsible ?

Jeff

One would hope not having just found out how much they spent at coldham hall including a £115 round of just shots , close to £400 in total n that's in 30 mins aparantly , from what I witnessed not one of them was anything like fit to drive including a boat , it has proved one thing to me n that's how difficult it is to ring in anything that's not an emergacy that said iv now a direct mobile contact to broads beat , and before someone says anything I do not ring in for no reason but that incident needed stopping which indeed it was thankfully with no one hurt .

I have only had two shots on a night out once and would never touch them again, the main purpose of drinking them is to get you drunk as quickly as possible, I personally would rather buy a bottle of wine and get drunk over a much longer period :naughty:

Seriously though, it is awful behaviour, not only putting themselves at risk but innocent, decent people having a lovely time on the river could have been hurt too, I'm all for people having fun but not at the risk and danger to others

Grace

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ricardo said:

.....and before someone says anything I do not ring in for no reason.....

We often disagree Ricardo, but I for one would never think of you as a person who would waste police time. I have absolutely no doubt that if you phone the authorities, you do so with bloody good reason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

We often disagree Ricardo, but I for one would never think of you as a person who would waste police time. I have absolutely no doubt that if you phone the authorities, you do so with bloody good reason.

Only reason I mentioned that Maurice was because iv been criticised ( in shall we say another place ) plenty of times , but this incident was dangerous to say the least the river was busy and quite a lot of hire boats about , given it was Saturday possibly some first time hirer's one couple from freedom looked particularly bemused and confused by the fact there were people in the water all across the river and one young lad on a yacht with his dad moored up thankfully was pretty distressed , Image if anyone had been hit by a prop then  how distressed would he have been .

I no longer post on that "other place" but I do read it sometimes as I have friends who seem to prefer there to here. I didn't witness this incident but by the sound of it, it's little short of a miracle that nobody was hurt. You did what you believed to be right, and by all accounts you were right to do so.

There's having fun and there's having fun. People need to learn the difference. (a quote from my father some years ago) 

• Like 4

I too would report a situation like this, and have in the past too. All's you are doing is reporting a situation as you see it at the time, it is the Authorities decision to act on this if they think it is appropriate.

I reported a day boat that was trying to cause a collision, he came in front of us at speed and slammed it into reverse hoping we would run into him. He tried this several times, so we knew it was deliberate. We have a Honda 15 on a light Viking 23, so we could stop quicker than him, and on the last attempt, we reversed in a "J" turn, that Jeremy Clarkson would have been proud of lol, and went the other way at speed. (keeping within the speed limit)  I recon he was due to get the boat back to the yard so didn't follow us. However, Broadsbeat got to the yard before they did and dealt with them. I doubt they will be back.

Regretfully it has long been the case that there are folk out there that see a trip on the Broads as an excuse to be total, irresponsible prats. Fun is one thing, indeed I do partake on occasion, but to come here with the general intent of creating alcohol fueled mayhem is not acceptable. I have always liked the Broads for the fact that it is a holiday resort and that people come here to enjoy themselves but there has to be reasonable limits as to what is acceptable.

• Like 2

Sadly these days it seems that you can't have a good time without alcohol it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a drink as much as the next man ( or woman) in it's place. But don't see the need to drink myself into oblivion.... I never did.

You can't even go to a concert or theatre show these days without constantly having to get up and down for people to get drinks then have to go to the toilets.

that aside, when public safety is at risk these people shouldn't be allowed near a boat and need to be reported and stopped.

Hopefully the message will get through to people who's idea of fun is opposite to what most of us find on the Broads, it is good to see the boat owners are getting tough on the hirers, it must be difficult for them as there is no way of knowing in advance what the hiring party will behave like.  Single sex parties are met and greeted prior to leaving the yards which has had a positive result.

Norwich BA Ranger Clive Rushforth spent Sunday taking statements from several witnesses and video evidence from Freedom Boats to prosecute for the many Byelaw offences and if anyone who witnessed the anti social behavior and by law offences would like to to be involved and give witness statements to assist with this then to get in touch with BA control on 01603 756056.

On a further incident two officers attended a "party boat"and terminated their hire with the help of hire boats owner and Broads Authority Quay assistant.

On the same day -  Police terminated the Hire of a Stag party from Manchester re ASB and Byelaw offences off TIDEWAY 1 belonging to Richardson’s with the help of manager and Broads authority staff!

• Like 11

It has long been the case that some 'wise' clients pick up the booze and excess crew members away from the boatyard. In my days at Fowlers Boatyard at Oulton Broad, if we had any suspicions, then we would nip round to Everitt Park where they inevitably headed and insist that our terms and conditions, e.g. six hirers on a six berth boat, were upheld. We would also point out that there is a network of hire yards on the Broads, all of which talk to each other, which they did back then. It didn't always work, we did have one boat trashed.   

It would seem we are having a spate of incidents around the Broads at the moment concerning anti social behavior of all types. Most relate to Broads Authority Byelaw offences which we help them out with and subsequently any Criminal offences that come to light. Recently Norwich yacht station has had several reported incidents As Norwich is a unique city in that it is popular with both private boat owners and holidaymakers alike arriving by boat, hired locally on The Broads or from further afield and abroad with access via Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft. We want to encourage the tourism into the city but incidents like this don’t help and news travels fast via social media and web based forum sites.

If you are witness to, or victim of such behavior can I urge you to call it in to either the police or broads authority whoever is the most appropriate, now I will not guarantee and immediate response due to the logistics involved with the Broads, but it does need to be reported with boat names / number and description of the offenders and the incident details. We need to stop these people and send a clear and distinct message on "Not on our Manor"

Whilst I am not advocating anyone take any risks or put themselves on offer, many devices now carry good quality cameras, and a picture paints a thousand words........

• Like 12

I totally agree with removing these people and terminating there hire but for many reading this thread it needs to be put into perspective .

I have holidayed on the Broads every year for the past fifty years and accepted for one occasion in about 1970 when a couple on a small two birth boat spent the entire night violently arguing encountered any real anti social behaviour from other boaters

I do regularly moor at Norwich and the trouble there is from residents of the city screaming and shouting along Riverside Road

Ray

• Like 4