More Stupidly On The River

I totally agree Ray, although not been boating as long as fifty years more like twenty five, we haven't witnessed such appalling behaviour as Ricardo has reported but we most certainly would if we did

I think personally the worst behaviour and rudeness is from the day boats, they hire for a couple of hours and have no idea about river etiquette or the rules of the waves, im indoors has had to have a few choice words with some of them in the past. The worst hirers we saw was a stag boat at about eleven in the morning coming into moor at Brundall, they rammed the mooring so hard the guy in the front well nearly went overboard (beer in hand) and left a gaping hole in the front of the boat, apart from that not really had any problems

It's still a safe and beautiful place for all to enjoy, just respect the Broads and the people holidaying on it, even the flappy thingys :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 4

Joking apart,  am still a bit mystified by all this. If prosecutions are pending, and the boats were seized at the NYS, why has this still not appeared in the EDP?

And why were day boats from the WRC seen going through Brundall up to Norwich at 6.20PM? Either they were not day boats, or they had been hired for more than a day.

Or did the hirers simply intend to abandon them when they got to Norwich? I have seen that done on the Thames before now. The only thing against that theory is that I doubt if they could have got to the WRC unless they came by car.

All a bit weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Pretty well all of the anti-social behaviour I have seen on the Broads has been at the Norfolk Broads Yacht Club, during Cruiser weekends!  :default_drinks:

Might have been written in jest but there is a ring of truth in Vaughan's comment, witness the tragic RIB crash at Oulton Broad Regatta last summer. It isn't just holiday makers who, on occasion, behave like low grade morons. Don't forget that infamous YouTube footage of an out of control RIB and a Hampton Safari.

• Like 1

Just now, Vaughan said:

I am glad you appreciated my gentle reminder, Peter.

We have all "got the tee-shirt", I would guess!

Naa, I was perfect! For all the stupid things that I did in my formative years I like to think that at least my boatmanship was generally beyond criticism :default_smiley-angelic002:

At least I didn't behave like this, that famous RIB footage:

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Joking apart,  am still a bit mystified by all this. If prosecutions are pending, and the boats were seized at the NYS, why has this still not appeared in the EDP?

And why were day boats from the WRC seen going through Brundall up to Norwich at 6.20PM? Either they were not day boats, or they had been hired for more than a day.

Or did the hirers simply intend to abandon them when they got to Norwich? I have seen that done on the Thames before now. The only thing against that theory is that I doubt if they could have got to the WRC unless they came by car.

All a bit weird.

I've no idea why the EDP haven't reported it either I'd have thought they certainly would have by now , the boats were defiantly picnic type day boat and a staff member of coldham hall told me they stated that they were going to Norwich dumping the boats and going clubbing.  I did check on the WRC web site and the boats we're booked out sat an sun but that doesn't mean to the same party's  obviously as indeed 2 of the 3 boats came past church fen with completely different people on board and clearly not WRC staff , I'm quite sure the must have had some form of transport at WRC , but there were so many people on those boats my view is they picked others up on route though how they got the transport back out of WRC is anyone's guess , had it been me down at WRC I'd have refused to hand over the cars etc until all outstanding money was paid as I'm pretty sure it cost them quite a bit .

What really gets me about these people is their anti-social antics can be very upsetting and frightening for families who have come to Norfolk for a peaceful holiday. The Magistrates should ensure that the word gets out that if you behave in such a fashion it is going to be an extremely costly weekend.

For serious cases the court should be convened on a Monday morning in order that the now sobered up and much poorer perpetrator can then explain to his employer that his failure to turn up for work and not phone in was because he was taken directly from cell to court to answer the charge of whatever he gets done for.

• Like 2

On the basis that I saw those boats somewhere near Herringfleet with 2 people on board 2 of the boats and 3 people on the final one, I would assume that the rest of the party were picked up after that point and that cars had already been moved to where the rest were picked up from. If the rest were picked up from Reedham, then maybe the plan was to leave the cars there and get the train back first thing Sunday. All of which means there was a fair degree of pre meditation to picking up other people and planning on leaving the boats in Norwich? 

• Like 1

Sadly no matter where you go nowadays there is often a bunch of (usually drunk) idiots causing mayhem and ruining others leisure time 

As a cabby in a city which attracts scores of young "adults" I see this all too often. Ten years ago it was mainly groups of young men but now The young girls are even worse, a lot of this is down to the 24/7 opening which encourages them to "pre-drink" and not go out till midnight arriving in town already drunk.also the current trend of shots and over the top cocktails doesn't help.

i would love to know how the young of today can afford to get so wrecked so often  (though I believe the use of certain illicit substances is also to blame).

yes have a drink , enjoy yourselves , you're only young once but try and not lose the ability to consider others, your environment and your safety 

• Like 3

I am going to say this just once.

WEREN'T YOU ALL YOUNG ONCE?.

DID YOU NOT DO STUPID THINGS OR WAS YOU ALL SAINTS?.

I KNOW I WASN'T!. REMEMBER THE MODS N ROCKERS ?.

I am not condoning dangerous antics in the slightest, but who can honestly say hand on heart in their younger days they were angels, never got drunk, never did things that when they look back on now shudder at?.

Rant over

Charlie

• Like 7

I imagine there is none amongst us who didn't get up to "stuff", we would be embarassed about now however alcohol was never much of a feature to my contemporaries  -  we couldn't afford it! The only time I remember drinking alcohol when out with friends was when I spent a 2 week holiday in Jersey aged 17 - but that's another story entirely! Certainly at no time did I get up to mischief that endangered myself or anybody else  and I was very far from being a goody two shoes I can assure you!

Carole

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

I am going to say this just once.

WEREN'T YOU ALL YOUNG ONCE?.

DID YOU NOT DO STUPID THINGS OR WAS YOU ALL SAINTS?.

I KNOW I WASN'T!. REMEMBER THE MODS N ROCKERS ?.

I am not condoning dangerous antics in the slightest, but who can honestly say hand on heart in their younger days they were angels, never got drunk, never did things that when they look back on now shudder at?.

Rant over

Charlie

Yeah but........we all did those things with a certain amount of style :default_party0001:

15 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Hi Coolcat

Not so sure about that

I am old enough to remember pitch battles between Mods and Rockers at Great Yarmouth,Clacton and Blackpool.

Ray

You n me both Ray, but youve left out Southend on Sea, They were frantic in the Kursal and all along the prom. Many mptor bikes and scooters went swimming... Copious amounts of alcohol consumed as well. Also forgotten Margate was there one bank holiday Monday as well. I also believe Newquay didnt get away from it either. I could also mention may great booze filled nights in Brentwood high street as well....

Charlie

• Like 2

Well I wasn`t inclined to get involved but for the sake of balance I will, yes I grew up in the 50s and 60s in London and well remember the Mods & Rockers but they were very much a minority like the football yobs of the 70s and 80s and largely a promotion of the media of that time, I wasn`t a saint or a sinner I enjoyed life I enjoyed a drink without setting out to get drunk, 1 I couldn't afford it and 2 I had to get up for work the following morning, if I got drunk which I did occasionally it was normally at a party and I certainly didn't want to fight the world as seems to be the case now, neither I or my friends ever interfered with anyone else`s right to enjoy themselves  in their own way, no I am not perfect never have been never will but I did grow up with a sense of respect and discipline.

What really annoys me is we are constantly told how hard done by and how hard it is for the younger generation to get on in life while they can squander their life and income away in this manner and wanting everything today and expecting their parents to bankroll them, we had it hard but went without fancy holidays and all the other trimmings that are considered essentials now to establish ourselves.

Rant Over

Fred

s  

e

• Like 11

Back in the late sixties/early seventies we only had 10 bob to get in the drinks in and get some chips (in our case fishcakes) so we just stayed local during the week and ventured into town only at the weekend. 

This was back in the day of platform boots, crushed velvet flares and Ben Sherman shirts, we thought we were the bees knees, never enough money, so we were never too drunk, I used to be the banker and bought all the drinks out of the kitty (apart from one of the mates who bought his own, he was great at unwrapping Mintos in his pocket).

Yes we hung around on street corners at times before we started going into pubs but we were not much trouble.

We all have stories from our youth, we have gown up and inevitably got older, but many of us still have a twinkle in our eyes and feel we are still that younger self inside.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

You n me both Ray, but youve left out Southend on Sea, They were frantic in the Kursal and all along the prom. Many mptor bikes and scooters went swimming... Copious amounts of alcohol consumed as well. Also forgotten Margate was there one bank holiday Monday as well. I also believe Newquay didnt get away from it either. I could also mention may great booze filled nights in Brentwood high street as well....

Charlie

And if I'm not mistaken the general public were distressed by their actions and they were delt with by  the authorities , so what has changed ?? Nothing , shall we all wait to report something only when it becomes a situation when someone is actually injured ? Or do we do our civic duty as it were  and report things that could easily escalate into a situation that someone could be seriously injured .

Its fine trying to educate people but that only works if they are listening .

Its fine saying " yea but we were all young once " which we were n no I doubt there are many angels about but its not about that , all of us got into bother and possibly serious bother too either with parents or the authorities , so why should it be any different now ? 

35 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

And if I'm not mistaken the general public were distressed by their actions and they were delt with by  the authorities , so what has changed ?? Nothing , shall we all wait to report something only when it becomes a situation when someone is actually injured ? Or do we do our civic duty as it were  and report things that could easily escalate into a situation that someone could be seriously injured .

Its fine trying to educate people but that only works if they are listening .

Its fine saying " yea but we were all young once " which we were n no I doubt there are many angels about but its not about that , all of us got into bother and possibly serious bother too either with parents or the authorities , so why should it be any different now ? 

No one is saying its any different now, if I was out of order in Brentwood high street brahms list... PC snow or one of his colleagues would wack us round the head with leather gloves and send us home. If PC99999 done that these days they'd be up on charges. We respected the law. 

What makes you think that we weren't reported for riding no hands on a push bike down the centre white line of the A12 (no bypass then) drinking a pint on a trade cycle?????? cos we was. Not saying those on those 2 boats should have been doing dangerous things at all, they was reported and dealt with minus the wack round the head.

Lets leave it all that or this is going to go round and round in circles, yes I still like a drink or 3 even at my age as do many others.  I will say no more on this thread

Charlie

• Like 5