More Stupidly On The River

16 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

No one is saying its any different now, if I was out of order in Brentwood high street brahms list... PC snow or one of his colleagues would wack us round the head with leather gloves and send us home. If PC99999 done that these days they'd be up on charges. We respected the law. 

What makes you think that we weren't reported for riding no hands on a push bike down the centre white line of the A12 (no bypass then) drinking a pint on a trade cycle?????? cos we was. Not saying those on those 2 boats should have been doing dangerous things at all, they was reported and dealt with minus the wack round the head.

Lets leave it all that or this is going to go round and round in circles, yes I still like a drink or 3 even at my age as do many others.  I will say no more on this thread

Charlie

Charlie no one is having a go at anyone least not me , now I did witness these lot and their antics and I felt it needed reporting and clearly I wasn't alone , maybe I should have ignored it and then read later that someone had been seriously injured or even killed , just remember for a minute that those that uphold the bylaws etc were not even present at the time therefore its down to the public to do ie report what they see is fit and worth of reporting , I'm not a killjoy or an any an angel either but I do know what can happen when a person in the water is run over by a boat and that so nearly happen several times on Saturday at church fen ,, would i report it or similar again yes i would and maybe one day it might just educate someone enough yo realise that boat prop's don't take prisoners .

Maybe we are missing a point here? In youth 'some of us':default_smiley-angelic002: maybe got a bit OTT , but there were other, maybe older heads around to send a warning shot? That was as it should be, and Rick was in that position on this occasion. Did the right thing I think.

The Imam in Finsbury, said 'the older brothers' restrained the anger of the younger men and they surrounded the terrorist, who would probably not have made it into custody otherwise. Older heads have some responsibilities in a civilised society.

• Like 3

On a lighter note! There was the school lunch break that was enlivened by a collision on the road nearby, between a van and a taxi. Nobody was hurt, but the van driver, legged it to the back of his van, grabbed the crate of booze he'd obviously been testing thoroughly and set off at an unsteady trot. Cheered on by the (300) kids, the taxi driver ran him down and sat on him until the police came. 

Ok, just to throw some petrol on the fire I ask this...

If it had been reported in the paper that a death had occurred as a result of this situation, how many would be saying...

"This is a tragedy."

"This is a tragedy, Alcohol should be banned on boats."

"This is a tragedy but they only have themselves to blame"

or

"Serves 'em bloody right"   ????

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, just to throw some petrol on the fire I ask this...

If it had been reported in the paper that a death had occurred as a result of this situation, how many would be saying...

"This is a tragedy."

"This is a tragedy, Alcohol should be banned on boats."

"This is a tragedy but they only have themselves to blame"

or

"Serves 'em bloody right"   ????

Or,

The latest entry for the Darwin Awards are…

As I have a riverside mooring I am use to boats going too fast, too close,  too fast and too close.  You get used to it.

They would need to be stupidly fast to bother me enough to report them.

The behavior of this mob would have had me recording video and calling anyone who could deal with them.

Blatantly dangerous behavior involving themselves and others deserves arrest, detention and possible damages to the day boat owners.

Fred, like a few others, I have stuck a "like" on your post. I agree with almost all you have said and, far from a rant, its even handedly put. The one bit I will disagree with is a tiny part of what you say about todays younger generation. I have two sons who just about fit into that bracket. I have watched them struggle to find secure and reasonably paid work that would provide some semblence of a career. They stuck at it and are both gainfully employed now. I think you might just agree that, when we were young and leaving school/college, we could pretty much walk from one job to another with little fear of unemployment. I do think the state of  todays emplyment market does little to encourage our younger generation.

Rant/lecture over!

• Like 9

Yes VC (and Fred) one tends to forget some things and look through rose tinted glasses at others. Thinking back to the early 70s when I was in the pub trade, all pubs aimed at the 18 - 25 group as they were the ones who had the greatest disposable income. In that period I worked in pubs in London ( Baker street area), Cheltenham, Harlow and a few country villages, so I think I can reasonably say I dealt with a quite wide section of society.

More latterly I ( 2004 - 2005 )  have been a cabbie, a job which can involve hanging around outside pubs. I can only say that the level of drunkenness and rowdy behaviour had increased many fold between those two periods, but so have the pressures on that same age group.

Some of the problems can be laid at our generation, others at generations before us (and here comes the contentious hub of my point ) but regrettably, few of todays problems with this age group, can be laid on the people misbehaving themselves. We trained them for this society, so we should be asking "what did WE do wrong?"

It's no good saying "Ahh, but it's only a minority." It was always a minority, but these days it's a bigger minority... and that's why we are whinging.

On the plus side, it has ever been thus, ever since Uggh Smiths son used a spear to kill a mammoth instead of the rock his dad gave him for his 21st birthday! 

• Like 5

VetChugger, You are quite right in what you say and its unfortunately a fact that generalisations do tend to tar everyone with the same brush, yes growing up in the post war years employment wasn`t a problem due to a relatively low population all though most jobs were relatively low paid and yes there are some of todays youngsters and not so young who genuinely struggle to find  a worthwhile occupation, I can only speak from experience of my extended family and people I know locally and friends and that is that while many youngsters do try and make a career for themselves there are also those that don't and wont work expecting others to subsidise them and their lifestyle, I think I speak for many of our generation when I say my parents struggled and rather than me going cap in hand I had to hand over a large part of my weekly wage to pay for my keep and to help with my younger siblings, we also ended up paying interest rates well into double figures when trying to buy our own property, all of that is off topic for which I apologise.

The main point is that anti-social behaviour was unacceptable in those days and nobody tried to defend it, I didn`t need my parents to teach me right from wrong, if I misbehaved I got punished at school, if I caused a nuisance the neighbours or residents of whichever street I was in would chastise me or the local bobby if it warranted it, if I was out of order in a pub or any other establishment I would be ejected, if I didn`t do what was required of me or broke the rules at work I was sacked, while I don`t want to see those days back again when I look around at todays standards and all too common lack of respect for other people or their property as typified in this thread then its high time we started standing up for the rights of society over the growing trend of irresponsible behaviour and total disregard for the ordinary persons right to enjoy a peaceful existence.

Fred

• Like 5

In days of old was it anti social behaviour or high spirits? I think that I can safely say that by and large society still respected respect back then. As a kid I well remember tobogganing down the side of a steep railway cutting on a tin tray, or riding my soap-box cart down the stairs of a railway bridge, wasn't brave enough to do it on a push bike as did some of my friends. We had our kicks, but not out of a bottle, we couldn't afford it!

• Like 2

JM, I am sure we all did things that could be regarded as high spirited or with hind sight as stupid or dangerous, we learnt to climb by falling out of trees, we had a kickabout over the park, went swimming in the forest ponds our local river was to polluted, had a drink to many etc you learnt more from making mistakes than getting everything right the difference was we did it without disrupting other peoples lives or damaging property.

Fred

• Like 4

Very true, Fred. I well remember going to the Isle of Wight 'pop' festival when Jimi Hendrix was performing, an incredible experience all round. Not that I ever took drugs but there were quite a few comatose bodies dotted around the Island in the aftermath. I can't really put my finger on it but it seemed different back then, We were far more naive back then, what ever we did was an adventure. I tried smoking, was as sick as a dog, never again. Likewise I drank myself into a stupor, just once. Perhaps there was an innocence back in the sixties that has long since disappeared.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can't really put my finger on it but it seemed different back then, We were far more naive back then, what ever we did was an adventure.

I think this statement rings true now & for generations past.

That's why many old farts are convinced that things now are much worse than in their virgin youth.

• Like 2

I'm most definitely not an old fart! Old? yes, fart? absolutely not. And I know it's worse now than when I was young much worse. And yes it is the fault of some members of our generation, those do gooders who report to the police a parent trying to instil a little discipline by giving their erring child a clip round the ear, and those who made it a criminal offence to do so and took away from teachers the right to impose anything but the weakest of punishment. The discipline found in schools used to be the safety net for parents who weren't very good at parenting. It's no wonder things are in such a mess

Carole

• Like 7

Ah but there is a distinct difference between choice of dress and choice of attitude, I have never had a problem with anybody choosing to be a Mod a Rocker or Teddy-boy nor a Hippy, Punk or Goth or any other fashion group, there are good and bad amongst all sectors, I have never owned or had an inclination to ride a motorbike but I appreciate the good a lot of biker groups do amongst others, its all down to individual attitudes and when you see the lack of respect many of the younger generations but also some of the older ones have for themselves its no wonder there is a growing lack of respect for society largely bought on by the liberalistic do-gooders who took discipline out of our society.

Fred

• Like 2

I've just showed my dad this thread, he was a Mod (can't stop laughing) He got drunk, got into fights, got a few telling's off from the Police, when he met my Mum her parents were mortified, they wanted her to settle down with a proper gentleman not someone from the rough side of the street so to speak. If you met him (he will kill me for this) you will find standing in front of you the most decent, caring, protective, hard working and  decent human being you could ever meet, I adore him, he is my hero

You may be thinking what on earth is she rambling on about now but the point I'm trying to make is even though he was considered a bad penny (or however the saying goes) back then in his younger days he still turned out to be a thoroughly decent human being

Those kids in the day boats were reckless and yes could have put other people in danger, hopefully in a couple of years some of them will think back and wonder what on earth they were doing and some of them maybe not and turn out to be axe murderers or some such

Social media is a wonderful thing in that it brings to the world's attention things that were dealt with or brushed under the carpet back in the day

Now I'm not trying to tell the older generation that they are talking nonsense or anything but give the youth a break, they're not all bad, some of the kids I have met through work and being a parent at the school gates don't stand a chance in hell when you see how they are treated by their parents. I cried when I heard a so called dad tell his child, a little girl to "Shut the f...k up" (I thought he was talking to a dog) I intervened and was verbally abused myself, what chance does that child have?

I am off now to look at photos my Mum has dug out of Dad when he was considered a bit of a thug back then, he was quite the handsome devil but on my goodness, that hair :facepalm:(I think he thought he was Elvis Presley) :default_party0010:

Grace

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

I've just showed my dad this thread, he was a Mod (can't stop laughing) He got drunk, got into fights, got a few telling's off from the Police, when he met my Mum her parents were mortified, they wanted her to settle down with a proper gentleman not someone from the rough side of the street so to speak. If you met him (he will kill me for this) you will find standing in front of you the most decent, caring, protective, hard working and  decent human being you could ever meet, I adore him, he is my hero

You may be thinking what on earth is she rambling on about now but the point I'm trying to make is even though he was considered a bad penny (or however the saying goes) back then in his younger days he still turned out to be a thoroughly decent human being

Those kids in the day boats were reckless and yes could have put other people in danger, hopefully in a couple of years some of them will think back and wonder what on earth they were doing and some of them maybe not and turn out to be axe murderers or some such

Social media is a wonderful thing in that it brings to the world's attention things that were dealt with or brushed under the carpet back in the day

Now I'm not trying to tell the older generation that they are talking nonsense or anything but give the youth a break, they're not all bad, some of the kids I have met through work and being a parent at the school gates don't stand a chance in hell when you see how they are treated by their parents. I cried when I heard a so called dad tell his child, a little girl to "Shut the f...k up" (I thought he was talking to a dog) I intervened and was verbally abused myself, what chance does that child have?

I am off now to look at photos my Mum has dug out of Dad when he was considered a bit of a thug back then, he was quite the handsome devil but on my goodness, that hair :facepalm:(I think he thought he was Elvis Presley) :default_party0010:

Grace

Ah ! Memories, i can relate to all this, my  dear wifes parents were not  too chuffed when I turned up in full biker regalia and sidies like Mungo Jerry  back in '70 on the old Norton.

Got a ford focus now, grim !

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Gracie said:

My parents made me read a lot about the evils of drinking when I was younger, when I grew up I gave up reading :default_norty:

I'm getting me coat :default_coat:

Grace

23 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

You n me both Ray, but youve left out Southend on Sea, They were frantic in the Kursal and all along the prom. Many mptor bikes and scooters went swimming... Copious amounts of alcohol consumed as well. Also forgotten Margate was there one bank holiday Monday as well. I also believe Newquay didnt get away from it either. I could also mention may great booze filled nights in Brentwood high street as well....

Charlie

Oh Charlie what an awful reprehensible youth you must have been. Such goings on!

CarolE