Loving these little films of yours Neville :clap please keep them coming.........although not so keen on those little blighters, not very pretty at all, Night of the Living Crayfish springs to mind :gracie:stuff of nightmares those ruddy things lol

Grace

• Like 1

Another good film

Loving these little films of yours Neville :clap please keep them coming.........although not so keen on those little blighters, not very pretty at all, Night of the Living Crayfish springs to mind :gracie:stuff of nightmares those ruddy things lol
Grace

I don't know Grace, when I used to have a marine fish tank I had a couple of crayfish and they were very entertaining. Ok ugly yes, but good fun.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

The invasive American Signal Crayfish is very tasty, that is why they tried to farm them. My Son catches them on the river that runs through our shoot. 

Be warned there are very strict rules govening their capture. Also they need a period in clean water eating oats or something clean before boiling to eat.

• Like 1

We are plagued with them in London and surrounding areas, down side apart from carrying a disease that is fatal to our native Crayfish is they eat a lot of fish spawn and are great bait robbers and make a lot of bottom fished baits a no go, plus side they are great food for large Chub, Barbel, Perch and Pike, unfortunately it is illegal to use them as bait also illegal to return them to the water.

Fred

7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Cracking footage again Neville. Are using a monitor with that camera as you seem to be quite precise in placing for the shots?

I am only using a camera that cost about £30 the placing is mostly guesswork and what little I can see from above. I could connect to an app on phone, but I guess it wouldn't help as I can't see the screen to make a phone call half the time let alone anything else. Some of things I see when I download the video surprise me as much as anyone else. I am making a small addition soon and that is a tiny light that fits in waterproof housing next to camera. This should improve the vision and I may have a little go when it's dark to see what is happening if anything. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

We are plagued with them in London and surrounding areas, down side apart from carrying a disease that is fatal to our native Crayfish is they eat a lot of fish spawn and are great bait robbers and make a lot of bottom fished baits a no go, plus side they are great food for large Chub, Barbel, Perch and Pike, unfortunately it is illegal to use them as bait also illegal to return them to the water.

Fred

I spoke to a chap a very knowledgeable angler and former bailiff on one of the major fishing rivers in Southern England and he reckons over time there will be a noticeable decline in the Roach stocks where these Crayfish dominate and looking at the videos and my own fishing expeditions at the mill I would say that it looks like this is already happening.    

54 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

The invasive American Signal Crayfish is very tasty, that is why they tried to farm them. My Son catches them on the river that runs through our shoot. 

Be warned there are very strict rules govening their capture. Also they need a period in clean water eating oats or something clean before boiling to eat.

I spoke to a chap who lives by the river Bure who applied to the EA for a license to trap these pests, but he was denied due to the fact he may trap the native species. But I can't see the two surviving together ? Surely if these Red Clawed are present the White clawed have long gone ? As for trapping I could pick many of these out with a litter picker and might do that when I feel more peckish. 

A few yeas ago I fished a spot up on the wensum near swanton Morley and within 5 mins had 8 of them hanging onto 2 dead baits I had out. That was one cast and a few fell off while reeling them in. Never seen one in all the previous years  

Gave up as they kept hammering the baits. 

You have to wonder who makes these rules up? Don't put them back, but you can't trap them? There either invasive or not. 

• Like 2