Olympic Light

We’ve been hiring from Herby Woods for a good few years now in February. Up to now we’ve always had the Freedom/Evening Light class which we’ve been very happy with.

However next year I’ve been contemplating pushing the boat out (if you’ll excuse the pun) and Mrs N likes the look of Olympic Light. It certainly seems to have all the bells and whistles.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of hiring this boat?

Also does anyone know if it has hydraulic drive? The large locker at the stern would seem to suggest so but it’s hard to tell.

Also the air draft quoted is eight feet. It’s not clear if this is with the screens lowered or not. Would it fit under Ludham Bridge in the winter I wonder? Mrs Nog likes her fix of tat on Stalham High Street.

Incidentally Herby Woods do seriously good offers in February. You get 20% discount for winter, 5% loyalty, 5% early booking, 5% if you cough up the full hire charge. It really does make it more affordable. Good yard, I’ve been very happy with them up to now.

Any comments would be very welcome!

• Like 2

Olympic Light is a decent boat, she is Hydraulically driven (engine is in port side locker at the stern) - these boats get under Ludham Bridge with ease, there more like 7ft 6" or about and the screen etc fold down they are not as high as you might think.

Very nice boat plenty of space of two but those internal steps up to the outside helm and tiny little door is a hazard in my mind, better to go up the by the aft steps.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Robin. I thought it would be hydraulic drive. I think they can use a bit more fuel but that shouldn't be an issue. I probably wouldn't use the outside helm in winter but that's good advice. That's also very encouraging about Ludham too, this could look a serious possibility! (rattles piggy bank hopefully)

cheersbar

• Like 1

I agree HB is a fantastic yard in my experience. And if as you point out you take advantage of their perks , the price does come down. For sure there are cheaper boats out there, but if you get excellent service it sometimes pays.

Ive never holidaybobs on Olympic ( I'm a tight Jock :naughty:) but I have boarded her to see how the other half live!! And she is very impressive. I'm sure you will have a ball. 

Im going late September this year ( Richardsons this time) so hopefully the broads will have restocked in beer and fish by the time you go :24_stuck_out_tongue:

Neil

• Like 3

Hi Howard

we have had Silver Elegance (Silverline) twice which is a similar type( 6 berth)  of boat and to be honest it didn't use that much fuel.

We like to put the miles in and we got money back both times. I forget how much but It' s in  my two Tales from the South Side blogs.

I was very impressed by the responsiveness of the boat and the thrusters were the best we've had.

Like you I can't fault Herbert Woods and always enjoy the experience of hiring from them.

I didn't have any problems with the hatch (as long as I remembered to slide the top back haha.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the boat

cheersbar

• Like 2

Me and the wife had this boat for 11 nights last October.The only drawback i found with it was the visibility when driving from inside but this is the same with all these style of boats.

Ron

Edited by MrBlueSky
bad grammer
  • Like 2

Thanks Ron, that's helpful. I would be aiming for February so would probably need to be inside more, having said that the weather was lovely this February. Another bonus is there aren't many other boats to watch out for!! I'm guessing it's reverse visibility that's not so good? 

Thats right Howard,you have no reverse visibility from the inside without sticking your head out of the side window ,which is easier said than done.These type of boats are brilliant for steering from up top but not so good from inside.Last October when the weather was poor i just wrapped up well and steered from the top,even when it rained.

Ron

• Like 2

Evening Howard! I checked the pictures of Olympic Light and think I am correct in saying that it is very similar to Moon Beam which we hired from Horizon Craft / Richardson's last year. The view from the inside was poor but we were blessed with fantastic weather in September and didn't need to helm from anywhere other than the top every day. However there was actually a notice that was either on the inside helm or in the skipper's manual, I forget which now, that said you had to helm from on top when mooring!! That's not a great recommendation is it, rather an admission that it would be very tricky from inside!

• Like 3

Hi Jean and Ron

Many thanks, that’s just the information I need which you can’t gleam from the brochures and the website!

I do quite often poke my head out of the window when reversing but it looks quite a small side window. The boat we’ve just had (Tower Bridge) was probably one the easiest boats to moor particularly with the top down.

I don’t think I’d have a problem helming outside unless its chucking it down. Certainly the weather this February just gone was amazing, we were in T shirts quite a bit. Another advantage of February is that there is very little river traffic and I frequently just moor side on at Ranworth unless there are other boats around. Try doing that in the summer!

I’ve got plenty of time to decide and consult the oracle (Mrs Nog).  :default_norty:

Your comments are much appreciated! :default_beerchug:

• Like 4

Hi Dave, yes, I know what you mean, I'd rather be outside more. As I say last February was amazing but it would be sods law that next year it would chuck it down. Ron's experience of the boat has been very helpful. I've even had a shuftie at Faircraft Loynes but their prices are a bit eye watering and they don't do the Herby Woods discount. That in itself isn't putting me off (time to save up) but the air drafts are very high too and in winter that could be a problem.

Depending on negotiations with Mrs N we might be better to stick with the Freedom/Evening class - low air draft, cosy and warm and a doddle to moor.

Decisions............ :-)

• Like 2

Yes the air draft could be a problem especially on the north, I think the Elegance was 8' with everything folded down. Although we stayed south the two times we had it.  I know we had to get Somerleyton Bridge to open one time (luckily it was operational)

All that said though it was alovely boat and was a doddle to moor with it having bow and stern thrusters.

I'd happily hire one again in the future but we keep trying different boats 

Decicions indeed............ but good ones to have to make

• Like 4

Hi Howard. I'm the outdoor steering type and always steer outside on a dual steer. I agree with what others have said about the outdoor steering position being the only place to be, so I would say only pick Olympic Light if you'd enjoy outdoor steering in February, at least some of the time. A nice thing about dual steers as I'm sure you know is you can switch between helms in the blink of an eye so if you get cold up top you can always thaw out for a while downstairs and then go back out again. 

• Like 3