Broadland Wave 2 Review

Broads01

This is to record thoughts and photos about Broadland Wave 2 which I hired in May 2017.

The boat is available from Richardsons http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/broadland-wave/. It's a 2 berth sedan-style cruiser, 31 foot x 12 foot. At the stern there's a well deck with seating and patio-style sliding doors to the saloon. The saloon has two arm chairs which are quite comfy. However as they're heavy to move without a great deal of space I think a small sofa (as on Escapade of the same exterior design) would work better but that's just a personal preference. There are some side units and reasonable size TV. There's a good view to the stern whilst sat in the chairs. The helm position has good visibility and theres a useful high level seat for the non-helmsman on the right side. I sometimes used this seat when moored so as to have a view forwards. There's a large sunroof which, unlike some sedans like Melody, is the full width of the boat and enables a taller helmsman like myself (I'm 6 foot) to easily stand with head outside.  Down two steps takes you to a standard sized washroom to the left and a small galley to the right. This is a budget boat so no microwave but the fridge is a good size. Cooking can be a little awkward even for one person given the scarcity of surface space. In the bows there's a double cabin with a reasonably large island double bed. This is an unusual feature for a boat in this price bracket and suits the boat well. 

Handling was an absolute doddle. I'm not mechanically minded so I don't know the technicals of the engine and drive type but I had no issues whatsoever, albeit I only had north Broads conditions to deal with on this occasion. Handling solo I kept both bow ropes stowed part way towards the stern which enabled me to step off with both ropes with ease. Air draft is around 7 foot 6 or possibly more and so in common with other sedans it doesnt pass under Wroxham, Potter Heigham or Beccles but Ludham and Great Yarmouth are fine. 

This was my second hire of Wave 2 having last had her in 2014. The boat was broadly unchanged since then, exceptions being the additions of electric toilet, additional 240 volt sockets and,  in common with the whole fleet, improved WiFi. It sits in Richardsons bottom price bracket so is identical price to boats such as Mermaid, Serene Gem and Crown Gem and yet is excellent value in comparison to those given its relative space and comfort. I would have no hesitation in hiring for a 3rd time, especially as it's one of the boats Richardsons make available for a 5 night break priced the same as 3-4 nights. 

I'll upload some photos when I can, just having some technical issues with my phone. 

• Like 8

Hi Simon, 

Great pictures of the boat, the island bed looks good but that fake four poster arrangement must be a nightmare to keep clean and no doubt those two posts will catch everyone out on the trips to the loo in the night.

The gas pipe to the cooker surely could have been run better rather than being in full show.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

Yes Alan they do catch you out, bumped into those ruddy posts once or twice in the night, I can tell you, nothing to do with wine consumption of course :default_norty: It's a smashing little boat and like Simon wouldn't hesitate in hiring her again

Thank you for the photo's Simon, she hasn't changed much at all, it must be ten years since im indoors and me hired her, cheap as chips for a cracking boat

Grace

• Like 2