Breydon Water Closed To Hire Boats

I don't think they can prevent you from crossing but if you are on a hire boat and go against the "advice" and cause any damage etc then it could cause problems with the boatyard and possibly insurance? You could be liable I suppose.

There was a good write up on the Royalls blog a while back when Nigel Royall took one of his boats across when Breydon had been closed.

I think they park a launch at strategic locations and no doubt the rangers will shout at you. I've a feeling that Breydon was supposed to be closed at some point when we crossed earlier in the month but we weren't aware of anyone trying to stop us! Not that we noticed anyway :default_norty:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I don't think they can prevent you from crossing but if you are on a hire boat and go against the "advice" and cause any damage etc then it could cause problems with the boatyard and possibly insurance? You could be liable I suppose.

There was a good write up on the Royalls blog a while back when Nigel Royall took one of his boats across when Breydon had been closed.

I think they park a launch at strategic locations and no doubt the rangers will shout at you. I've a feeling that Breydon was supposed to be closed at some point when we crossed earlier in the month but we weren't aware of anyone trying to stop us! Not that we noticed anyway :default_norty:

The BA can use their powers under special directions to close sections of the waterway. Easter Monday 2016 they closed Breydon to hire craft and advised privateers not to cross. I guess it would make for an interesting discussion with your insurance company if you ignored the advice of the experts and crossed anyway and had a mishap. Then again we'd need to find some experts first! :5_smiley:

• Like 2

It is probably wise to close Breydon in very thick mist. I have crossed in thick mist that came down when I was half way across it can be a bit hairy up the Burgh Castle end as all the posts seem the same colour in the mist and the channel does wander somewhat there.

Also it is very easy in thick mist to wander off the fairway elsware and once you do that, you are lost, with no posts to guide you.

What I will say whilst we are on the subject is, if you do go aground on Breydon, reverse immediately and go backwards, the reverse way you went on the mud. I have seen it so many times when boats have gone aground and tried to power straight through the mud only to push further aground.

• Like 1

I suspect the reason it was closed during the week was due to the high water making it difficult to pass under the bridges. I've been approached in the past by the rangers when starting to cross Breydon and been asked do I know my air draft as the water is high. On that occasion they were turning all hire boats back. Also on that occasion I was just cruising over Breydon, doing the circuit of Breydon bridge and coming straight back so the Yarmouth bridge heights didn't concern me and the rangers didn't stop me.

• Like 1

I remember when I was about 10/12 crossing breydon one early morning and it was very misty. You could see the next post nae problem , but it was spooky. I was allowed to pilot the whole crossing ( though my uncle never took his eyes off the river for sure!).  I felt so grown up and proud of myself to manage it unaided.

Its funny how certain things stay with you forever.

A bit like hibs winning the cup, have I ever told you fine people that tale??:55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

• Like 1

Have asked the question and got a very quick response. Breydon is only closed to all vessels if there is an immediate hazard to vessels or persons, or an obstruction across the channel. Access is restricted for hire boats due to adverse weather conditions such as large swell, strong wind or poor visibility, whilst private craft are advised to exercise caution at this time. The decision is made at the discretion of the local rangers on duty at the time. The question regarding qualifications wasn't answered, but I guess is harder to answer as it depends on the local ranger at the time.

• Like 1