Breydon Water Closed To Hire Boats

BA Rangers, in the past anyway, have gained RYA dayboat certificates, even Dr Packman has one although to what level I don't know. Insurance companies seem to be impressed by them and it is a qualification.

In the past I applied for a job with Suffolk County Council as a sailing instructor, having worked as one for Sussex CC & the RYA itself. In that time I issued many 100's of RYA dayboat certificates yet I was turned down for not having my level three certificate. If I liked I could go on a course and do level one the first year and so on until I had level three. In effect someone, after only three years could teach others how to sail whilst with all my experience, at least with Suffolk CC, I couldn't, even though the RYA had employed me in the past as a senior coach and I even contributed to their syllabus. 

• Like 4

I once had to go on a cable locating course, and was showing the trainer from the company that built them how to use one - just to get the piece of paper that said I was qualified (this was after 2 years going to 2 major power stations and tracing and recording their cable routes - as when they disbanded their on site drawing offices, they just threw away all the cable record drawings).

• Like 2

I understand the rangers at yarmouth yacht station are actually MCA coastguards (also) therefore they have a hell of a lot of authority. Personally despite being me, if coastguard tell me not to do something... I'm not going to do it. Rangers are there not just to make our lifes difficult but to keep everything safe and deserve respect and support really.

Also there is nothing intelligent about going out in thick fog even on a wide stretch like Breydon, Even with radar like everything in this world "you" maybe the most intelligent person alive but it's others you need to worry about (I.e those that think it's fine to bomb along on the plane in the fog with no such systems).. Better to be safe than sorry.

(Poppy that picture is missing.. scrapping and applying new antifoul ;) )

• Like 1