Year Of Manufacture

Jocave

32 minutes ago, Jocave said:

You were right Viking23 it is a 1985 :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

When you own a boat for nearly 30 years, and do all of the upgrades yourself, you tend to notice differences in models, and then putting a date to the model.

If you need any additional supporting info, please contact me. 

I am so pleased that my research and logic was right. In fact, earlier today, I was going through some past threads, and I was very close to asking you about how it went.

Excellent.

Best regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks Richard it went well, we had an enjoyable few days on it ,apart from a slightly grubby interior which is being addressed at the moment, the seat cushions have been recovered this week just need to do the carpets and the tatty wall covering material, only mechanical issue we found was a lot of excess play in the steering, its at the wheel end rather than the back end , didn't have chance to investigate the problem due to lack of time and minimal tools with me but when we go back up next week I will take it apart and see if I can identify the problem..

4 hours ago, Jocave said:

Thanks Richard it went well, we had an enjoyable few days on it ,apart from a slightly grubby interior which is being addressed at the moment, the seat cushions have been recovered this week just need to do the carpets and the tatty wall covering material, only mechanical issue we found was a lot of excess play in the steering, its at the wheel end rather than the back end , didn't have chance to investigate the problem due to lack of time and minimal tools with me but when we go back up next week I will take it apart and see if I can identify the problem..

Within the black hub of the steering wheel there is a hole  on the side and hidden in the hole is a jubilee clip, you need a flat bladed screw driver to engage a slotted screw and tighten. If you remove the inner ring, just pops out, you can see the jubilee clip. Might be best to remove the steering wheel but that can be a pain, if you try that, slacken the hub nut but leave the nut still engaged as if you pull it or tap it, you can sometimes hit your nose with the wheel as it comes off. yes did that on a car steering wheel... ouch..

There will be small bits of black plastic dust in there due to wear. 

Hope it helps,

Richard

I notice that you are thinking of new wall lining, quite a few of us have completly stripped the wall covering, and replaced with silvered bubble wrap, silver side in board, available in 600 mm rolls from Wickes etc

This has allowed us to extend the cruising season by at least a month at each end. (Place some behind the roof lining too).

Over the bubble wrap on tge walls and under tge foredeck, place a flexible van lining material. You will need a high temperature spray adhesive, lots of it, and as you are wirking in a confined space, a respirator (screwfix)  that filters out  organic compounds, see soray can for hazards. You will also need a large mains powered fan next to an open side window to force clean air in. 

I hope the moderators don't mind me putting in a link to our Viking Owners site but we have a project section, which I hope inspires you. 

see  http://www.vikingowners.org.uk/gallery/bassm/bassm.asp?g=1

Best regards,

Richard

I wasn't planning on adding insulation but while the old stuff is off it makes sense to do it at the same time, can you remember how much lining material you used?? I'm not sure if I have ordered enough as its not the easiest thing to measure up it was more of a guesstimate, I was planning on doing around the lower sides of the v berth with the same stuff ..

On 14 July 2017 at 1:46 PM, Jocave said:

I wasn't planning on adding insulation but while the old stuff is off it makes sense to do it at the same time, can you remember how much lining material you used?? I'm not sure if I have ordered enough as its not the easiest thing to measure up it was more of a guesstimate, I was planning on doing around the lower sides of the v berth with the same stuff ..

Quantity depends on...

Width of material.

If there is a pattern, and is the material the same when at 90 degrees to the direction.

When to use off cuts between windows, and if you can get a good enough joint.

What you intend to cover.

I bought enough for the wardrobe too, and for the dinette area where your legs go.

As we use the shower, non in the heads.

We also lined the cockpit area too, that took a lot.

You must wear a dust mask when removing the old carpet, as there are fine particles which break off.

There is a high chance that you will encounter black mildew behind some of the carpet, I found that "Astonish Mildew remover" around £1 a spray bottle excellent at killing and removing the spores and black stains from the GRP, leave it a while, use a damp cloth and wipe off after a suitable time. Usual precautions, as this is a bleach product. 

Dust mask, eye protection, organic solvents respirator are all essential for this task. As is a strong fan for ventilation, and a vacuum cleaner with fine filters.

It is a good idea that a friend can look in on you every now and again, especially when using the adhesive spray, as the fumes can be quite nasty.

Clearly no smoking apart from flammability, some solvents can change structure after heating and can be extremely toxic.

Good luck.

Richard

• Like 1

Lots of good advice there ,I am one to just jump in full steam ahead so will take notice of all the safety issues you mentioned, I am on board at the moment and have removed the wheel and surrounding panels but there is no adjustment that I can see so maybe a have a different system to you, are the single cable ones Ultraflex?? I have taken pictures but not sure how to load them up, normally use photobucket but since that's gone pear shaped that's gone out the window

12 hours ago, Jocave said:

Thanks think I'll order a new one if I can figure out which one I need ...

I know they differ in length of control cable and termination, so if it was me, I would mark up where fittings clamp to, and remove the whole thing, complete with engine termination and take it to your favourite chandlers and match it, side by side.

It is possible to replace parts within the head, or the actual cable, but you need someone to recognise compatible parts. I think, some parts are compatible across manufacturers, but as companies take over other companies, who knows. Now many are imported from the far east and clones appear too.

Mine has survived close to 30 years of private use, in fact, looking back, I'm not sure if the jubilee clip idea on mine was a factory original, or if it was one of my other re-engineering successes, but it has been over 18  years since I looked at it lol... So it has proven to be very reliable.

Good luck.

Richard