Insurance

Jocave

Never insured a boat before so its all new to me , the marina I bought the boat from gave me a list of insures which were, Navigator and general, St Margaret's and craft insure, had a quote off the first one, gave up on the second one due too long winded questions and then getting redirected to another site as they were unable to insure for some unknown reason, yet to try the third one, thought I would ask advice from you good people first before I spend all night entering the same details over and over again, any ones that you recommend or any that are to be avoided, thanks any advice most appreciated as its a bit of a minefield to me at the moment

Thanks n and g is looking favorable so far , and has been recommended by quite a few people I have been chatting to today , just wanted a second opinion , seems pretty reasonable too but I guess you don't know how good they are until you have to put in a claim.

• Like 1

Not had to make a claim so far, but the annual increases have always been very small. In the first few years whilst building up my no claims it often went down by a few pounds per year. As a bonus the BA have confirmed that they meet the requirements of The Broads Act with regards to the requirement for third party insurance :default_norty::default_beerchug: 

• Like 2

My boat is also insured with Nav and Gen and has been for the last thirty odd years. I have only had one claim years ago and that was dealt with promptly.

There has been no requests for surveys etc. not that the boat would fail anyway but they seem a good company to deal with. They are part of the Zurich Group.

• Like 1

The best bit, if there was one, is the comments from friends owning monos...'They didn't stop!' 

Well no, they didn't but I said they'd come back once under control and of course they did. 

Two good points about the incident are, 1. We weren't aboard so were unhurt  and 2 hooking Rondonay saved them from ploughing into the rather sharp corner of a dredging barge next to us.

Jeckells sorted a new mast and rigging so all was well that ended well.

With any insurance, check the small print regarding outboards, then check the very small print.

Some will not replace a fairly new engine with a new one, but only give it's market value, leaving you to find one in the same condition. Not easy. You will be out of pocket !

Some insurers have a sliding scale based on age, you will not get a like for like replacement for the price. Then who pays to fit it. You will be out of pocket.

Make sure from day one you have a suitable outboard lock, that must be approved by the insurance company, take pics too as evidence. You can see that the outboard is the most vulnerable part of the boat and an item that can make such a financial outlay, should you have to make a claim for it..

I have never made a claim with Haven Knox Johnson, but they don't charge to amend the policy, eg when we moved waterway, new marina etc when we did a boat name change, when we told them the boat was in transit by a third party etc When we moved the storage location of the boat trailer. We have stayed with the same insurer for nearly 30 years. No complaints, but again no experience how they handle a claim.

All damage sustained, gel coat chips etc, have been repaired by the hire boat yard etc. directly. No insurance notification, but seemed to work ok, but not sure when it becomes notifiable. 

Hope it helps,

Richard

I have been with Haven for years, not had a claim, but be aware if you phone them you get:

1 someone who's first language is English.

2 someone who is friendly.

3 has a sense of humour.

4 efficient

5 leaves you with confidence things are done.

This kind of service will never catch on.

paul

• Like 4

Went with Nav and gen in the end , they do require that an outboard lock is fitted but all the ones I have looked at so far don't look secure at all, guess it just deters the casual low life that will move onto something easier

Just now, Wyndham said:

Hope you don't mind me asking this here, off at a tangent a bit still to do with insurance.

If you have a private boat does your insurance cover anyone helming the boat?

It all depends on your insurance policy. A bit like insuring your car for 'any driver'. When I took out insurance for Royal Tudor I was asked if I wanted 'any helm' on the policy.

Just like with any insurance policy it's always best to check with your insurer what exactly your policy covers. Hope this helps? :default_smile:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Our insurance stipulates 1 of the owners (me or Jill) has to be onboard and ready to take control, other than that anyone over 14 is allowed.

paul

I see.....so do you know if that would be the standard setup with a "any helmer" policy, that one of the owners must be onboard?

Reason I ask is that we are thinking buying a boat and one of the attractions is that we could let our daughters go and use it.

Suppose we could specify myself, wife and daughters as joint owners.

Timbo, thanks for you reply

3 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Our insurance stipulates 1 of the owners (me or Jill) has to be onboard and ready to take control, other than that anyone over 14 is allowed.

paul

I aim to use that one even if it's not true with my insurance company, if anyone asks to borrow the boat lol...