Pike For The Table

I've used Ficklings shop a few times, he's the Man when it comes to piking no doubt.

Your experience was a treat to read , if only other dealers were similar and not so quick for a fast buck.I've never been asked anything about fish care in any tackle shop. You'd think the Broads tackle shops would be a bit more like that,  all things considered !

• Like 1

Ummm, I've never quite forgiven Mr Fickling for his campaign via NASA for the relaxation of the two rod maximum rule. Numpty pike anglers with four rods can do a considerable amount of damage to a fishery, about twice as much as a numpty angler with only two rods. Thanks, Neville.

• Like 3

Fully agree JM one rod at a time does me,  half the problem is with all the so called starter kits sold by all and sundry to the holiday makers who have never fished before, no education no knowledge of what they are doing regardless of what they are catching or how to handle them, what anyone does to change that I don't know as it would be impossible to ban the sale of them . 

Fred

I am a great francophile where food is concerned, I love French Cuisine. However on one of our many holiday road trips we dined in Lyon as guests of a French Business Associate. The main course was Rhone Pike which duly arrived in a sacrificial pastry covering that was a work of art as it represented in pastry what was within.

It was cracked open and served at the table. For once French food did nothing for me. I have eaten Carp at Jewish friends which was certainly better than the Pike but I really think Salmon, Trout, Grayling and Eel are the river fish to eat, whilst Bass, Turbot, Halibut and my favourite Dover Sole are a nice treat. But really any sea fish is good. Pike not for me.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

IF FISHED FROM A FREE FISHING PUBLIC STAITHE / LOCATION ON A RIVER !!!!

You can take:

A total of 15 coarse fish (barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike, roach, rudd, silver bream, smelt or tench, including any hybrids of these species) of not more than 20cm per day (excluding grayling)

1 pike of not more than 65cm per day

2 grayling sized between 30cm and 38cm per day

You can also take any other coarse fish, including non-native species and ornamental varieties. You need permission from the owner to remove fish from still waters (this means any broad) and canal fisheries.

Eels or shad must be returned to the same water unharmed.

Fish that are not legal to keep must be returned immediately to the same water with as little injury as possible or retained in a keepnet or keepsack, and must be returned alive to the same water on or before completion of fishing.

The size of any fish is measured from the tip of the snout to the fork or cleft of the tail.

He is legally allowed to retain...although his method for unhooking is adding to the distress of the pike. Personally, if I wanted to retain for the pot (actually quite tasty if I remember, my dad cooked one about 30 years ago) dispatch quickly as per if you were sea fishing.

In this scenario, he would be unable to retain another pike, but could catch and retain a further 14 mixed course species as long as under 20cm in length...

For the record....I'm more conservation minded, I never retain, and fish purely for the sport, curiosity and to enjoy the surrounding environment. This more than satiates. But I would never discriminate against someone who is not breaching a byelaw, however much I question a particular part the byelaw.... Tight lines...take photos, not fish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

It annoys me that every year as the fishing season closes the two german shops bring out the fishing gear in , what I call, the 'car boot' area of thier shops.

Encouraging people to buy and go fishing out of season.

If you are catching fish to eat, i was told a while ago, though don`t know if it is true, that it`s NOT catagorised as fishing, but is known as "forraging" which is NOT covered by the rod and reel license. As i said, i don`t know whether that`s true, or just something certain individuals WANT to believe?.  I think on the license it says catching fish by rod and line, so, i don`t know.

15 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If you are catching fish to eat, i was told a while ago, though don`t know if it is true, that it`s NOT catagorised as fishing, but is known as "forraging" which is NOT covered by the rod and reel license. As i said, i don`t know whether that`s true, or just something certain individuals WANT to believe?.  I think on the license it says catching fish by rod and line, so, i don`t know.

I think you are right. My licence  only mentions 'covered for 2 rods and know your local bylaws'.

The broads along with 'rivers' are also under the control of the Environment Agency and all the rules apply.

But...Copied and pasted....

National byelaws

Regional byelaws

Rod fishing byelaws (rules) protect fish stocks. These regional byelaws apply to all waters in England, whether they are owned by angling clubs, local councils or private individuals. Owners may impose additional rules but the byelaws must still apply to their water. Anyone failing to comply with these byelaws could face prosecution and receive a fine of up to £50,000.

Anyone fishing with a rod and line must hold a rod fishing licence and comply with the byelaws that cover the waters where they are fishing.

Applies to:

England

Contents

When and where you can fish

Legal fishing tackle, lures and bait

Catch limits, size limits and catch returns

Overview of Anglian byelaws

These byelaws for the Anglian region apply to anyone fishing with a rod and line for salmon, trout, coarse fish, eels, smelt and lamprey in all freshwater fisheries.

See the national rod fishing byelaws for rules that cover the whole country.

Private fisheries may enforce their own additional rules, but national and regional byelaws still apply.

National close season rules for coarse fishing apply across the Anglian region. The coarse fishing close season between 15 March and 15 June applies to all rivers, streams, drains, the Norfolk Broads and some stillwaters.

Dates are inclusive

Clive.

I do wish that I had taken a photograph. I was at How Hill House yesterday and in what I think is called the big room  is a collection of of skulls and bones of different creatures found on their field trips around the house. One exhibit was the skull of a Pike, it was enormous, the teeth were over half an inch long, probably closer to three quarters, found in one of the fens. The write up said they had never seen one as big. I just did not think! Too busy stuffing myself with delicious sandwiches and cream tea.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheLaird said:

I think you are right. My licence  only mentions 'covered for 2 rods and know your local bylaws'.

The broads along with 'rivers' are also under the control of the Environment Agency and all the rules apply.

But...Copied and pasted....

National byelaws

Regional byelaws

Rod fishing byelaws (rules) protect fish stocks. These regional byelaws apply to all waters in England, whether they are owned by angling clubs, local councils or private individuals. Owners may impose additional rules but the byelaws must still apply to their water. Anyone failing to comply with these byelaws could face prosecution and receive a fine of up to £50,000.

Anyone fishing with a rod and line must hold a rod fishing licence and comply with the byelaws that cover the waters where they are fishing.

Applies to:

England

Contents

Legal fishing tackle, lures and bait

Catch limits, size limits and catch returns

Overview of Anglian byelaws

These byelaws for the Anglian region apply to anyone fishing with a rod and line for salmon, trout, coarse fish, eels, smelt and lamprey in all freshwater fisheries.

See the national rod fishing byelaws for rules that cover the whole country.

Private fisheries may enforce their own additional rules, but national and regional byelaws still apply.

National close season rules for coarse fishing apply across the Anglian region. The coarse fishing close season between 15 March and 15 June applies to all rivers, streams, drains, the Norfolk Broads and some stillwaters.

Dates are inclusive

Clive.

Hi Clive,

An interesting post there, and when you examine it, it can be open to wide interpretation. For example, where it says "rod and line", does that mean using a line alone, or even a net is ok? also, it says about fishing with rod and line for salmon trout etc, yet the close season on the rod license does NOT cover migratory salmon and trout, which can legally be fished for with the appropriate license.

Also, it keeps on about byelaws, but where can a copy of these byelaws be found, how can you get a copy of them?.  I know i`m a very scynical  sod, but i sometimes wonder whether licenses and byelaws deliberately conflict so people are, without knowing it, breaking some byelaw, yet have current licenses etc, meaning we`re all open to prosecution and a fine without knowing it.

18 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Clive,

An interesting post there, and when you examine it, it can be open to wide interpretation. For example, where it says "rod and line", does that mean using a line alone, or even a net is ok? also, it says about fishing with rod and line for salmon trout etc, yet the close season on the rod license does NOT cover migratory salmon and trout, which can legally be fished for with the appropriate license.

Also, it keeps on about byelaws, but where can a copy of these byelaws be found, how can you get a copy of them?.  I know i`m a very scynical  sod, but i sometimes wonder whether licenses and byelaws deliberately conflict so people are, without knowing it, breaking some byelaw, yet have current licenses etc, meaning we`re all open to prosecution and a fine without knowing it.

Hi ST. The problem I had there is that the EA web site on fishing is on multiple pages. There are reams of it!

I do know that even just fishing with a line needs a licence. And even using just a line to fish for Signal Crayfish needs a licence. Even though Signal Crayfish are not English and cannot be returned to the water. Some people catch them to sell to resturants.     A bit like Grey Squirrels killing our Red Squirrels, they are killing our own Crayfish. It is illegal to release a Grey Squirrel back into the wild.

A year or two back I was cruising up the Great Ouse near Huntingdon, there is a lock, and a resturant in the old mill building. Bromholme lane that leads to it also has a large building housing the Environment Authority.  Just past the lock was somebody fishing, out of season.  I pay my river rent and pay my fishing licence. What was I to do?  So I did!

After all fishing out of season  on the EA's doorstep is asking for a pull.

Clive.

Clive.

1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

A year or two back I was cruising up the Great Ouse near Huntingdon, there is a lock, and a resturant in the old mill building. Bromholme lane that leads to it also has a large building housing the Environment Authority.  Just past the lock was somebody fishing, out of season.  I pay my river rent and pay my fishing licence. What was I to do?  So I did!

After all fishing out of season  on the EA's doorstep is asking for a pull.

Clive.

Clive.

Hi Clive,

this discussion was raised earlier in the year when someone posted they saw people fishing between 15/3-16/5 this year. A number of members seemed to think it was a dispicable crime, but i pointed out to them, it is NOT illegal to fish between the dates i`ve posted above.  You are not breaking ANY law if fishing for migratory salmon and trout with the appropriate license, which ANYBODY is entitled to have. Any other breeds you may actually catch are simply a by product which has to put back immediately.

If you read it it includes salmon and trout.

"These byelaws for the Anglian region apply to anyone fishing with a rod and line for salmon, trout, coarse fish, eels, smelt and lamprey in all freshwater fisheries."

Clive.

Edited by TheLaird
Added info.