Broads Authority Posts

Vaughan, both Bill & James, RIBA members? Would think that their professional body would be more than happy to defend their member's reputations. Could be that the BA might be up against a bottomless pit.

I also understand that there is a personal relationship between certain BA people and an objector, I wonder if that was declared, I feel an FOI request coming on.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Bill & James, RIBA members? Would think that their professional body would be more than happy to defend their member's reputations.

Don't know about RIBA but certainly FRICS (current) and, yes, it probably will be.

This whole sorry mess should have been 'called in' to the Secretary of State for his decision the minute it became a contentious application, it is the correct process after all. You would have thought an organisation with so many TP's on the books would have known that? 

• Like 4

Just to clarify - Bill acted as agent for Richardsons when they sold Hearts, and the article called "Thorpe Island, a potted history" that James has posted was written for him by me, as he wanted a bit of history of the Island to attract potential buyers. He later acted as agent for Roger in the sale to the present owners, but did not act for either party in the sale by Richardsons, of the Jenners land.

As to whether the Old Hall Close housing estate has any "Influence on the local character" or "makes a contribution to Thorpe St Andrew conservation area", that is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think it looks more like the officers' married quarters at HMS Dolphin in Gosport. At any rate, the "particularly attractive partly wooded back-drop" is now totally hidden from them by their own banks of 60ft Leylandii trees.

When I think of what the Old Hall, its gardens, and Wards boatyard used to look like when I was a boy, I weep.

• Like 4

The BA has since published the agenda for its forthcoming full Authority meeting. The agenda contains the officer's reports and responses to James's blogs. It would be good to think that these latest responses would be the end of it but regretfully not, inevitably there are yet more errors. With professional reputations now on the line, and ranks closing, I can understand both parties defending their corners but there does come a time when large holes are in danger of being dug, and being dug they are! James is, in my opinion, right to pursue this one. I just wish those in the wrong had the balls to gracefully back down.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting and worrying reading JM!

I do wonder though, could not Broadland Council complain, in the strongest terms, possibly through their Chief Executive to the Secretary of State? Seems a very unsatisfactory state of affairs. I cant profess to understand it properly but it sounds like the Authority are acting ultra vires?

• Like 2

Broadland CC has resisted suggestions from Thorpe House that they ditch Lana and promote another, 'acceptable', candidate.  As I understand it Broadland CC's CEO & the Broads Authority's CEO are at loggerheads over this issue. Whether Broadland has complained to the SOS or not I don't know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Knight seems very vocal about all this, but is he being vocal to the right people. As I understand it, he used to be on the committee, would he know the right people to raise his concerns to? If not why not?

It does make me wonder if he isn't just one of those types who has complained about every minutia  to the point that the appropriate bodies no longer listen to him, even when what he is saying is important ("The boy who cried wolf" sort of thing).

Hoist by his own Pikeman petard perhaps. 

Even more shenanigans,  the Executive of the Authority is gaining something of a reputation for manipulating rules, regulations and even the truth, as illustrated by another of Mr Knight's bloggs. A further insight into the twilight world of the Broads Authority!

http://www.thebroadsblog.co.uk/2017/08/ba-clears-itself-of-breaking-rules-by.html

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Even more shenanigans,  the Executive of the Authority is gaining something of a reputation for manipulating rules, regulations and even the truth, as illustrated by another of Mr Knight's bloggs. A further insight into the twilight world of the Broads Authority!

http://www.thebroadsblog.co.uk/2017/08/ba-clears-itself-of-breaking-rules-by.html

Until BA are accountable to an official body all of this will continue and its high time they were accountable , how on earth can BA be judge and jury its totally wrong you cannot simply change things to suit yourself but seemingly BA think they can , high time someone took them in hand , aren't quangos a division of central government or have I got that wrong ? If they are then high time the government made them put their house in order and more importantly made them accountable to the people that financially support them ie toll payer's .

I've had a paragraph running around my head for well over two years now. It goes something like this.

We the undersigned have no confidence in the Chief Executive or Chairperson of the Broads Authority to administer the statutory body charged with the management of the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads in a manner unduplicitous and equitable to all stakeholders as defined in the 1988 and 2006 Broads Acts. We call upon the Secretary of State to urgently instigate free and fair democratic election to the posts of Chief Executive and Chairperson of the Broads Authority.

Something like that, not exactly like that, but close.

• Like 10

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Interesting updates from the planning meeting!!

Seems that there has been a name change, Thorpe Island:  Western end formally known as Jenners :default_biggrin: Is this an attempt to airbrush the whole saga from history?

It also appears that the area is now being dropped from the enforcement updates as the area is now considered to be complient.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do I not trust an article that, on the face of it, is saying what I want to hear? I don't know, but trust it I don't. Has Archant fallen out with Dr Packman?, or is this the opening gambit of some new chess game they're playing.

The "investigation" lasted a whole two days, which is a massive amount of time for any journalist from that paper, at least fourty seven and a bit hours longer than any other article I've read there.  

But seriously, am I the only one here who is thinking "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"?

Edited to say... Poppy, I dare say you're right.   :) 

Now edited to change the above eddited to edited.

• Thanks 1