Broads Authority Posts

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

The "investigation" lasted a whole two days, which is a massive amount of time for any journalist from that paper, at least fourty seven and a bit hours longer than any other article I've read there.  

It also concerned me that the investigation only took two days, it should have taken weeks if not months

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Why do I not trust an article that, on the face of it, is saying what I want to hear? I don't know, but trust it I don't. Has Archant fallen out with Dr Packman?, or is this the opening gambit of some new chess game they're playing.

The "investigation" lasted a whole two days, which is a massive amount of time for any journalist from that paper, at least fourty seven and a bit hours longer than any other article I've read there.  

But seriously, am I the only one here who is thinking "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"?

Edited to say... Poppy, I dare say you're right.   :) 

Now edited to change the above eddited to edited.

Is it 'great minds' or 'fools seldom'? Which ever, I agree totally with MM on this one. Alarm bells started ringing as soon as I read the article.

Just like MM my very first reaction was 'who at Archant has fallen out with whom at the BA?'. I also chuckled at their in depth two-day investigation. Any journalist worth their salt would have been compiling snippets of information regarding BA shenanigans for years.

A couple of days ago I noticed something on Twitter. I don't have many 'followers' on TwitFace so it peeked my interest when I received a new one in the form of a Freelance Journalist for the EDP. May be coincidental but I did go all 'Poirot' and noticed several sign ups across quite a few social media platforms of several Broads based EDP journos.

Reading the comments under the article I was left thinking how many misguided posts were suddenly trying to push the NP angle. Yeah, yeah I know I'm anti-National Park for the Broads, but then I've worked with and on behalf of real ones around the world for some thirty years, so I tend to have a better idea of both their advantages, shortcomings and suitability for purpose in context.

Hmm waiting for the other shoe to drop I think! And in true Goon Show fashion, I think there might be three thumps!

• Like 3

Annoyingly I had posted this as a stand alone thread, grrrrrrr.

It is relevant and it is important as any outcome could affect us all whatever our allegiance or interest.

Someone fell out with the BA? Probably not, Archant has employed a new reporter, from South Africa apparently, who's investigative style of reporting is very much his trade mark so to speak. Long overdue at Archant in my sincere opinion.

Annoyingly Peter Aldous MP claims that he has never had a constituent make a complaint to him about the Authority. Mr Aldous is my local MP & I know damn well that he's had complaints, from me!   

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Annoyingly I had posted this as a stand alone thread, grrrrrrr.

It is relevant and it is important as any outcome could affect us all whatever our allegiance or interest.

Someone fell out with the BA? Probably not, Archant has employed a new reporter, from South Africa apparently, who's investigative style of reporting is very much his trade mark so to speak. Long overdue at Archant in my sincere opinion.

Annoyingly Peter Aldous MP claims that he has never had a constituent make a complaint to him about the Authority. Mr Aldous is my local MP & I know damn well that he's had complaints, from me!   

One only has to look at his allegiance  and realise that his lips must have been moving when he spoke to the EDP.....:default_biggrin:

Edit - My MP, (Richard Bacon) hasn't been quoted. Wonder why......

I now know for a fact that Mr Aldous has had complaints from several people, even members of the Authority (now there's a clue!). 

The usual suspects will, I don't doubt, try and play this one down but the harsh reality is that this article from Archant is long overdue, especially after revelations regarding controls being exercised in regard to County Council representation on BA committees. 

• Like 2

dnks34  thats why I posted this under a " new topic " heading this morning as I felt it was important as it raised issues that I think many people were unaware of and would be interested in ,together with the ongoing poll showing the large number of people who are obviously against the present system .it will obviously not be read by that many being on page twelve of the existing thread covering other issues.:default_blink:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Boaters said:

dnks34  thats why I posted this under a " new topic " heading this morning as I felt it was important as it raised issues that I think many people were unaware of and would be interested in ,together with the ongoing poll showing the large number of people who are obviously against the present system .it will obviously not be read by that many being on page twelve of the existing thread covering other issues.:default_blink:

So that's two of us who posted this one as a 'new topic'. I don't often question the moderation on this forum but since this is obviously an important issue and any outcome is likely to impact on us all then, in my honest opinion, this topic deserved to be a stand alone one.

• Like 2

For those of you who haven't yet mastered the voting facility on the EDP web page at this very moment in time over 90% of 770 readers have voted in favour of elections at the Broads Authority. I don't know how voting will be achieved but it does appear that a lot of people are less than enchanted with the Authority as is. 

• Like 2

Please let's try and keep the thread friendly so that we can keep the discussion open? I know it's an emotive subject and one that concerns a lot of us personally, professionally and financially but I would like the opportunity to listen to reasoned argument, from all sides of the debate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Please let's try and keep the thread friendly so that we can keep the discussion open? I know it's an emotive subject and one that concerns a lot of us personally, professionally and financially but I would like the opportunity to listen to reasoned argument, from all sides of the debate. 

Agreed , I really can't see that anyone who has any dealings with BA be they a supporter of BA or not can seriously think there isn't something very wrong at the moment , how deep it goes is anyone's guess but it does need sorting out one way or another .

Whats the point of even referring to a poll in the EDP when it is not at all representative as the majority of people voting will either have an axe to grind or agree that the BA should elected - the vast majority, like me, just will not bother!

If you think its bad now, just wait until it has direct elections and you see what happens then! I guarantee it will be worse - sadly!!!

And oh by the way, there are many , many people who DO NOT have issues with the BA - Ricardo that statement of yours is just so untrue! I deal with them on a regular basis and have a few niggles now and again but no major issues!

22 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Why do I not trust an article that, on the face of it, is saying what I want to hear? I don't know, but trust it I don't. Has Archant fallen out with Dr Packman?, or is this the opening gambit of some new chess game they're playing.

But seriously, am I the only one here who is thinking "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"?

Edited to say... Poppy, I dare say you're right.   :) 

Now edited to change the above eddited to edited.

It now appears that 'two days' refers to the time over which the story was to be published.

Here is 'chapter two'.   http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/broads-authority-row-over-tent-at-waveney-river-centre-1-5193537

13 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

So that's two of us who posted this one as a 'new topic'. I don't often question the moderation on this forum but since this is obviously an important issue and any outcome is likely to impact on us all then, in my honest opinion, this topic deserved to be a stand alone one.

Fully agree JM ! I can't begin to understand what was in the mind of the mod who chose this course.

Oh I can understand it, I'm just not sure I agree with it.  On the other hand, it's a bit "early days". I would suggest letting it run here and see how it goes before trying to get another thread established and approved.

It also gives us time to think of a title for the new thread. How about "Archant to divorce BA on grounds of mental cruelty" or "BA to divorce Archant on grounds of desertion"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Whats the point of even referring to a poll in the EDP when it is not at all representative as the majority of people voting will either have an axe to grind or agree that the BA should elected - the vast majority, like me, just will not bother!

If you think its bad now, just wait until it has direct elections and you see what happens then! I guarantee it will be worse - sadly!!!

And oh by the way, there are many , many people who DO NOT have issues with the BA - Ricardo that statement of yours is just so untrue! I deal with them on a regular basis and have a few niggles now and again but no major issues!

Marshman it could be untrue in your eyes but in many others it's not , just because things are all Rosie for one person doesn't mean that they are for everyone , hence the fact there is a problem at yare house  that needs sorting out .

It was ever thus. There is a problem so something has to change. No problem there, but what is it that has to change? I am reminded of that old adage "Be careful what you wish for"

Should the CEO of the BA be voted in? If so by whom? and how often?. 

If the CEO of the BA should not be voted in but some others should be, then in addition to the above questions add Which ones?

It is inevitable that the CEO of the BA will be unpopular with some people for some reasons but electing someone to the post is not the answer. Ensuring accountability is certainly one way forwards. Financial auditing and comparing that audit with the CEO's job description and the quango's role is another.

To do this means taking on Whitehall, and if you want to do that, watch Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister first. Dated but frightening none the less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marshman said:

The poll is perfectly valid as everyone has a right to vote, irrespective of their feelings for the Authority, or at least for the way it appoints its committee members. 

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Oh I can understand it, I'm just not sure I agree with it.  On the other hand, it's a bit "early days". I would suggest letting it run here and see how it goes before trying to get another thread established and approved.

It also gives us time to think of a title for the new thread. How about "Archant to divorce BA on grounds of mental cruelty" or "BA to divorce Archant on grounds of desertion"

We really don't have any option but to let it run! John and Poppy, I agree with both of you but not entirely hence no 'like'.