This Year's Holiday Vid - Sherz & Linz

johnsherz

Hi folks,

Well it's been a month since the missus and I got back from our week afloat, and as is always the case, I'm missing the place already, so I've got stuck into editing the holiday video. Here it is anyway, edited highlights of probably the warmest, sunniest week I've ever experienced on the Broads!

• Like 11

Hi John. Watched your video with my breakfast this morning and enjoyed as much as last year. You win the prize for the cheeriest holiday video of them all. I must admit I don't bother with a dinghy because of the hassle factor when mooring but your Ranworth and Salhouse 'Park and ride' mudweighting choice has made me think - great option for busy moorings. I see youve uploaded a boat review so I'm looking forward to watching that. 

• Like 4

Very good video this, and in a happy and charming format - I could well imagine this being part of a series on television as you both explore places because you both have a really down to earth and friendly persona.

I do like thee videos others do, because there of the same subject (boating on the Broads) but each person brings their own 'take' on things.  I have recently got rather into watching HGV drivers videos on You Tube, but each is different despite their job being the same.

Looking forward to the review too.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the lovely comments folks, it's great to know people enjoy watching our adventures as much as we enjoy having them! Too bad us poorly peasants can only afford to do it once a year though haha. One day if the lottery numbers come up!

Already counting down the days til the next one - thinking about heading further south next time, go take a look round Norwich, Oulton Broad, Brundall, places like that. Still more to investigate yet...

And yes, the boat review is online now. It was thrown together in an evening, so no fancy production there, but it helps give an overview of the boat for anybody thinking about hiring it. I wish every boat available for hire had a proper review for it, it's always a bit of a gamble just going by the limited info in the brochure! Robin, keep those budget boat reviews coming, I enjoyed that one you did on Bronze Gem a few days ago!

• Like 6

Totally agree with all the comments, you come across as such a warm and honest couple, thank you for sharing your holiday with us

As for Linz, a whole bottle, honestly no wonder you were hungover, you'd never catch me doing that :default_icon_liar: :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3

I'm not normally a massive fan of holiday videos but I have to say how much I enjoyed this one. A very relaxing style and the use of music was not intrusive as it sometimes is. Your film would put some of the so-called travel programmes to shame, it has just the right content to entice people to give boating and the Broads a try. Well done.

If John and Robin got together to produce a promotional video, it could be quite an awesome production!

• Like 3

I've watched the boat review now which I also enjoyed. It was useful in showing the negatives of Ruby Gem. That bed looks as short as everyone says and I thought some of the interior looked on the tired side compared to others of identical price, the refitted boats like Capri, Calypso and Symphony. The interior space showed through well though. John - Richardsons are brilliant at coming out to you if you need them to and would have fixed the non-functional oven for you. The sliding roof, whilst heavier than the Capri one should have been much easier to shift - I suspect the runners needed a clean out and greasing up. 

Really enjoyed this video. Everyone develops their own style and yours is very easy to watch and to listen to. Love the use of the drone as well. Not sure that I would ever be confident that I was going to land it back safely especially on a moving boat!!

• Like 1

My son has a DJI drone and is very good. It will take off and hover at around 3 ft on its own before you take over it also has a home button so will return and again hover around 3 ft on its own. He makes it look very easy which I found was not the case when I had ago. He flew it up the river from Reedam ferry to the village quay following me sailing quite some distance using the iPhone app.

Have seen quite a few flying from boats one buzzed us going over Breydon.

Doug.

Of all the drone shots that I took this year, the one that launched from the boat was BY FAR the most tricky! To start with, despite doing all the correct calibration before setting off, the app kept warning of compass errors while on the boat. Why so much magnetic interference I'm not sure, given that the boat is mostly timber and fibreglass - it must have been the engine or the water/fuel tanks that were messing with the compass, but once it was in the air, no more compass errors were reported.

Where I made a massive beginner's error was in the app settings though. I normally have my maximum distance setting at 500m (seeing as that's the legal limit), but of course when you're travelling down the river the home point (where you took off from) ends up being a long way behind where you currently are! After a few minutes of tracking the boat, all of a sudden it refused to go any further forward. Brown trousers moment as I realised we were driving away and leaving the drone behind! Worried that we would go out of range of the controller (which would cause the drone to go back to where it started and land itself in the river!) we quickly turned the boat around to go get it, and once I'd regained control, I brought it back to the boat and caught it one-handed in mid-air. I needed a stiff drink after that experience!

Still, you live and learn eh. Turn off the maximum distance setting in the app, set it to hover instead of return to home in the event of signal loss, and preferably update your home point as you cruise down the river (not entirely sure how you do this). Food for thought for next time!

• Like 2

I have a Quad (drone is a bad word) but even thought it has a max height programmed in 400 foot the broads has a lot of low flying aircraft which 'could' make it a no fly zone it's getting too tight these days.

As you say about return to home it's a great function if you lose sight of it or the battery is getting low it comes back by itself, but if you've took off over water on a boat them moved it's going to get wet.

But glad this came up my insurance is due this month for mine think it's near £15 for a couple of million cover.

On 7/5/2017 at 9:02 PM, Broads01 said:

John - Richardsons are brilliant at coming out to you if you need them to and would have fixed the non-functional oven for you. The sliding roof, whilst heavier than the Capri one should have been much easier to shift - I suspect the runners needed a clean out and greasing up. 

I know they have a good reputation for keeping even their budget boats clean and well-maintained, but it really didn't seem worth calling them out for the sake of a faulty oven. Besides which we'd have lost a good half a day's cruising waiting around for engineers - we made good use of my barbeque bucket instead! :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We were a bit gutted we didn't feature, as we passed in the river at least three times lol,especially with the NBN pennant flying proudly !!

My apologies guys, it's the luck of the draw if I have the camera running at the time! We picked a great week to be out there though eh? Still got the tan to prove it...

Just found out we was out the weekend after easter and around 7pm I heard a phantom start up and hover, this guy had not long had his and was playing with it.

I've down the holiday vids to watch later tonight.

• Like 1