Boundary Farm Replacement Moorings

vanessan

When we passed the old Boundary Farm moorings last Thursday, the BA seemed to be putting the final touches to the new moorings there. Only a short length compared to what there used to be at Thurne Mouth and Boundary Farm but something is better than nothing I guess. Two of Richardson's finest and they will be full I reckon. I did see something somewhere about the possibility of additional pontoon moorings there, that would certainly be the answer.

Any one got a photo? I used to love going to Thurne Mouth! A great day out. We would set off early, get to one of the two moorings both of which offered a different circular walk. Have lunch and then maybe give the boat a wash as the water there was mostly clean. We would then have dinner on the boat and wash up before returning to Broadsedge. We have even night nav'd back from there on nice days in November. By starting early and returning late The Ant and Ludham Bridge were a breeze.

Now that I am a single hander it would be a nice day out for me.

• Like 5

Or are we talking at cross purposes here?  The new basin for long term mooring on Donny Cooke's farm is not public, I agree.  However the BA are close to finishing the refurbishment of a length of quayheading just downstream of the old Boundary Farm moorings, and this will shortly be opened as a free 24 hour mooring.  The BA signage is already up to that effect.  It's only a short length, but Mrs Bobdog tells me size isn't everything :default_blink:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobdog said:

Or are we talking at cross purposes here?  The new basin for long term mooring on Donny Cooke's farm is not public, I agree.  However the BA are close to finishing the refurbishment of a length of quayheading just downstream of the old Boundary Farm moorings, and this will shortly be opened as a free 24 hour mooring.  The BA signage is already up to that effect.  It's only a short length, but Mrs Bobdog tells me size isn't everything :default_blink:

It's only a short length, but the BA will probably allow Quadruple mooring to maximise it's usage. :default_coat::2_grimacing:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

It's only a short length, but the BA will probably allow Quadruple mooring to maximise it's usage. :default_coat::2_grimacing:

If we are refering to the stretch where the replacement pontoons will go, it's the same as that which had the piling removed, so probably no loss of 'length' in this case.

No, that's not what we're talking about.  There's a length of piling/quay heading just downriver of the old moorings that was not removed. If you zoom in on that picture posted above you'll see a BA workboat (the one the guys were working from) tied up to the quay heading in the very location (and a BA dredging barge/platform moored to the rhond just downriver of the piling).  There's enough room, as suggested above, for just two typical hire cruisers (though the sign that has gone up says double mooring is permitted).

I was in the area again today and managed to speak to the local Ranger.  He said the work is now finished, but there is a little bit of formality/paperwork to complete (something to do with a health and safety inspection) before he or a colleague would be able to take down the orange netting, and mooring closed signs, and officially open the mooring.  He seemed optimistic that this would happen tomorrow, and the mooring would be available for the weekend.

18 minutes ago, garryn said:

Are these the moorings that were to be provided as part of the planning agreement with the new basin that has been dug out?

I think they must be. The agreed length was 40 metres and that is approximately what there will be. 

At the moment the big dredging barge/platform is still moored to the rhond immediately downriver.   It's going to make getting on to the mooring a little challenging for a second or subsequent boat if a first arrival ties up at the end away from the platform.  Do hireboat yards teach the ferry glide at handover these days?

• Like 1

We sailed down from Womack to Acle and back yesterday. When we sailed down the new BA moorings looked ready but had that plastic orange net fencing up. When we sailed back the netting had gone! Yes, the moorings are definitely open!

3 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Nope because I've no idea what a ferry glide is. Can you explain? 

Yes. May not be the most technical explanation, and I'm sure those more expert than me will be able to add detail.  If you want to moor precisely in a small gap (or actually, just if you want to come smoothly in to moor in a precise spot) then the tide is your friend.  Come reasonably close to the spot you want to moor, facing into the tide, with the bow angled slightly in to the bank you wish to moor against.  Balance your throttle against the tide, so that your speed through the water exactly matches the speed of the tide, so that in fact you are stationary, moving neither forward nor back.  You will "glide" sideways into your chosen mooring spot.  The stronger the tide, strangely, the easier this manoeuvre is to achieve, and there's generally a pretty good tide running below Thurne Mouth.

• Like 3

That's a pretty accurate description really , its a very satisfying manoeuvre to get right , it does require a good degree of finesse on the throttle and the wind to be cooperating too and its more than posable to do it stern on to the tide , I've done it plenty of times at reedham that way , having an aft cockpit boat and solo  its actually easier  for me to see what's going on and get the ropes etc , a really good example of this manoeuvre was demonstrated at the royal jubilee 2012 when the boat carrying her majesty was docking , in short it's something to practice preferable using mooring posts as markers for the gap to begin with , most important thing to remember is finesse on the throttle absolutely no big inputs at all .

Done this quite a few times when the Thames was in flood.  A light touch is required on the steering with a strong tide otherwise you can find yourself approaching the bank or the boat behind rather rapidly!  

• Like 1

I think I did this completely accidentally at Ludham Bridge a few years ago. Was trying to hold station on a very busy windy Sunday morning to let traffic come through from the other direction. All of a sudden hubby says "You're in" and he's off the boat tying the ropes. We had wanted to stop for some shopping but hadn't thought that we were going to be able to moor.

Anyway ... I will look forward to checking out the new moorings when next on the northern rivers.

• Like 2

Thanks I've learned something. I'm very familiar with the coming in to a mooring against the tide thing and I know with a strong tide how important that is. However, I've experienced more than once being pulled in so strongly I've risked being pulled in to a boat moored adjacent. I've never thought to try and balance the throttle in the way you describe. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

and its more than posable to do it stern on to the tide , I've done it plenty of times at reedham that way , having an aft cockpit boat and solo  its actually easier  for me to see what's going on and get the ropes etc ,

This is a point I've tried to make before. I too am almost always running "solo" and therefore need to moor helmside to the bank. The stronger the current, the more important that is. To moor up at somewhere like Reedham it's essential. So often I read that I should always moor into the flow. This is just not true. Holding station stern on to the current and just sliding in to a mooring is very satisfying, but requires a shed load of practice.  I'll try it at this new mooring.

How far is it to walk to the pub from there?