Cruising Low | Bronze Gem

LondonRascal

And so the long overdue beginning of a new Captain's Blog. This was filmed back in April when I hired Bronze Gem 2 from Richardson's Boating Holidays seeking a last minute, great value boat. Shiela was to join me the following day at Wroxham, but she had no idea of the boat I had chosen - a budget priced, low down, bath tub in bright orange.

Follow me as I leave Stalham and cruise to Ranworth Staithe, where I then fail to moor the boat stern on, but manage to moor side on twice! Much help was given and eventually I got safely moored, showing that if it is going to go wrong you might as well do it in a spectacular fashion.

Day One

• Like 11

Not watched yet Robin but I shall do with great interest (as always) due to our next visit to the broads being on Clifton Bridge on hire from Bridgecraft, my first time ever helming a forward steer bathtub.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Oh but Dave, I never get it wrong, when no one's watching I'm the best damn helmswoman you've ever seen :default_norty: Seriously, I love this style of boat, they have everything you need on board and some of them are so spacious, ok so they're a bit bright in colour but other than that what's not to like

Grace

• Like 2

That is another great film Robin, and you are right in everything you say about the bath tubs!

You are a bit lower down but other than that, they are very comfortable and spacious.

What is more, their underwater shape, with a long, deep keel and a flat vee shape going up to a hard chine, makes them one of the easiest boats to handle on the Broads. No bow thruster, because you don't really need one!

I know what happened with the stern on mooring - you were fighting against the kick from a left hand propellor. 

I shall make a post in the technical section, to see if I can explain what I mean, as it is a bit complicated!

• Like 3

Nice one Robin, great video as always! 

As far as budget boats go, I rather like these bathtubs. Yeah the view is a bit low, but they're so comfortable to live on. Growing up I remember we used to hire a lot of ageing centre-cockpit cruisers, and I remember how draughty they could be at night, especially the ones that used fabric or plastic sheeting at the rear of the sliding canopy. You could be all cosy in the main living area, then it was a mad dash over the freezing cold cockpit area to get to the forward cabin! None of that in the bathtubs though, nice and warm all the way through...

To quote Alan Partridge: "It might look a bit poky from the outside, but a Richardson’s boat is deceptively large. My wife and I found it actually offers the kind of luxury and comfort you’d normally associate with a good quality static caravan."

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to watching this Robin. I'm currently enjoying working my way through Belmore TC from 2 years ago having not watched it all the way through the first time. You captured my daughter and myself on Bright Horizon 2 as you came in to moor at Norwich. It's not the first time I've watched an older blog of yours, your building up a substantial 'body of work'. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this video and looking forward to the rest of the blog. Bathtubs are great ... no matter what anyone says. And the view from inside when moored up can be much better than on some other designs. 

• Like 3

Enjoyed that Mr Rascal, thanks.

Bathtubs are so underrated. You really feel a connection with the water when on one, something you miss on other designs. Riccos have so many like you were on and sadly they are mostly coloured like a mid 80's bathroom suite which makes them , well. IMO opinion, less desirable. It shouldn't be that way but it is, it's the society we live in. (It's orange......:8_laughing:)

We were out the week before you on an NBD bling boat, lovely boat, lovely yard, but I looked at every passing bathtub thinking to myself " you can get under Wroxham, you can get under Wayford"

Great footage at Ranworth, and humility to show it. Probably you don't realise it, but normal people (me) seeing experienced people (you) get it wrong sends out a message.....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Really enjoyed this video and looking forward to the rest of the blog. Bathtubs are great ... no matter what anyone says. And the view from inside when moored up can be much better than on some other designs. 

Spot on Jean, one of the best advantages of a forward steer. 

• Like 2

Well well well whose been a naughty boy then...? Yes, it was I.

Having cruised to Wroxham from Ranworth Staithe, and seeing as there was 7' 2" at the bridge, I thought I'd try and be cheeky, save myself £12.00 and take the tub through myself.  Lined up perfect, no other boats about, nobody at the hotel, the staithe or on the bridge - all going well then - "Oi - OI! - You're not taking that boat through are you?" a man rushing over the bridge, waiving his clipboard and with a red life jacket on - the Pilot.

I go astern, and no sooner has my bow got within jumping distance from the staithe and he is on the boat and telling me what for - 'that would not have looked good in the Forum would' - I was caught well and truly.

Moored the other side of the bridge I decided to 'come clean' on camera while waiting for Shiela to arrive and have her first experience on a bathtub before our slow cruise to Coltishal.

Day Two:

• Like 7

Taking the longest time to finally reach the end (for today is some 3 months after the event) the final episode in this series is ready to enjoy.

We took a cruise from Coltishall Common where we spent the previous night to the limit of navigation at the locks. Here we went for a walk and enjoyed some time at this very peaceful spot, before I sprung a scary idea on Shiela - she on her own with me on the bank should give it a go to turn the boat around. She was nervous, but accepted and the cameras were soon set up and rolling and despite some of my less than accurate instructions getting over she did very well.

It was then time for a cruise to Wroxham for a pint and a break, then off under the bridge (with the pilot) and onward to our final destination the Bridge Inn at Acle.

It may have been a basic boat, but it was a really fun and good time and dare I say some of my reservations about these style boats have been changed, they are not as bad as all that and offer great value and are cosy and comfy to live on. Shiela also enjoyed the time and boat so all round win win.

Day Three:

• Like 5

Thanks Robin.  Really enjoyed the video blogs.  They were worth waiting for (I was getting withdrawal symptoms!). Congrats to Sheila for turning the boat at Coltishall Locks...we chickened out and turned on our ropes.  

Looking forward to your next blog.

best wishes

Helen