An Interesting Concept

http://www.theriverpodcompany.co.uk/

This new type of house boat has just arrived along from my mooring on the Medway. 

Seems very green and has a filtration system for waste.

I am quite impressed with the design but the price seems a bit steep.

Will they catch on in the back waters of the Broads.?

They may yet replace the boats that never leave the marinas.

tmp_14686-FB_IMG_1500394713145132784206.jpg

• Like 2

Now just suppose I purchase one of these and fit an outboard. I then toll it, BSS certify it and insure it. I then motor it out on Barton or Hickling or another Broad and lay it to four large Danforths at each quarter and commute by dinghy. I wonder if this is covered by the byelaws. 

• Like 3

Personally I like it , its environmental friendly n not stupid money u can't by a new narrow boat for that other than partly finished one , that aside we have a housing crisis and living afloat does help that , that said its the devils own job getting the required permission especially in Norfolk , other country's are way in front of England in recognising the fact that boat and especially house boats do make a lot of sense Holland and America are classic examples of the law helping for a change instead of disagreeing  all the time well that and those that firmly believe that any form of change in their county from when they were a boy is totally wrong .

£40k iv seen second hand house boats in brundall  more  expensive than that , but the main problem and always will be until common sense prevails is by far moorings for said craft .

Just now, ChrisB said:

Now just suppose I purchase one of these and fit an outboard. I then toll it, BSS certify it and insure it. I then motor it out on Barton or Hickling or another Broad and lay it to four large Danforths at each quarter and commute by dinghy. I wonder if this is covered by the byelaws. 

If it isn't then BA will re write them to make it so , that you can be sure of , quite why BA are in charge of planning is beyond me talk about jack of all trades and master of none .

Houseboats like this have been used on the Broads ever since before the War!

Every yard had a few houseboats : just look at old Blakes and Hoseasons catalogues.

But now? This is residential use! This is "live aboard"! You would never get planning permission for that,  not from the BA!

Or would it depend on who you were, and where the mooring was?

• Like 6

I don't thing the intention is as a liveboard more as a weekend retreat.
The Medway marina do not officially have liveaboards,  even the static caravans have a two week break clause each year.

I can see these being popular in some areas as floating lodges. 

240v hook up,  water systems and good insulation. 

I will  have a good look around at the weekend.

The internal fit out is to a high standard from what I have seen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Wouldn't fit under the rail bridges :default_biggrin:

Ya wana bet :default_biggrin: n yes its the rail bridge by the rushcutters n I did physically measure it first , about 1 inch of clearance at the front a tiny bit more at the back n not one in the pub that Saturday afternoon expected it to go under :default_biggrin:, n yep heading for Jenner's ( oops shouldn't have said that ) , least I did better than mustang from alphacraft :default_beerchug:

IMAG1146.jpg

Just now, Ricardo said:

Ya wana bet :default_biggrin: n yes its the rail bridge by the rushcutters n I did physically measure it first , about 1 inch of clearance at the front a tiny bit more at the back n not one in the pub that Saturday afternoon expected it to go under :default_biggrin:, n yep heading for Jenner's ( oops shouldn't have said that ) , least I did better than mustang from alphacraft :default_beerchug:

IMAG1146.jpg

Can I see a fag paper between the roof and the bridge :default_biggrin:

Quite like that, Ems and I have often toyed with the idea of a house boat and actually were seriously considering buying a beautiful 90' barge that had been converted down near Devon, work was the main problem, not so much an issue for me as I can work anywhere, but more for her.

my main concern on that is the fairly minimal cooking facilities, we're both quite foodie, and two rings and a small oven wouldn't be enough for us, but I imagine it's configurable 

Had a good look onboard,  very nice,  probably over spec.  It has a back up whisper generator,  why.  

Very bright and roomy and everything can be changed including the size of the floor plan.

It is not a boat and  not ideal as a liveaboard but would make a great holiday cottage or let.

I suspect they will appeal to Marina owners who want to add holiday lodges.

The biggest drawback,  sixty thousand pounds. I can buy a lot of broads cruiser for that and let it sit on a mooring.

• Like 2