Dog Pub Bans Large All Male Crews And Stag Parties.

thingamybob

I just heard the other day that The Dog at Ludham Bridge has banned stag parties etc. at the pub. They have had so much trouble and had their decent customers upset by their evenings being ruined by the bad behaviour of these groups. I hear a number of other pubs in the area are following suit. Well done Jeff and crew. 

• Like 6

Geoff and Lorraine run an excellent pub and I'm sure that such a decision would not be taken lightly. It's a traditional family friendly pub and really not the place for large groups of Stella swillers. I applaud their courage and it will indeed be interesting if others do follow suit - the Lion springs immediately to mind. 

• Like 5

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

Geoff and Lorraine run an excellent pub and I'm sure that such a decision would not be taken lightly. It's a traditional family friendly pub and really not the place for large groups of Stella swillers. I applaud their courage and it will indeed be interesting if others do follow suit - the Lion springs immediately to mind. 

Groups of "Steller swillers is the last thing that The Lion needs. Rick needs to build the pubs reputation and is doing an excellent job of it. The last time I visited a few weeks ago the pub looks like a place for family dining and responsible drinking. A few locals are also using the pub which is always good for winter trade. Hopefully The Lion will follow suit.

Whilst we are on the subject, The Lion has a very quirky washbasin stand in the gents. Visit to find out!  

• Like 3

Just now, thingamybob said:

Perhaps pubs and posters can put on this thread which pubs have banned unruly parties. Then the boatyards can let the unruly element of their customers where they will not be welcome.

And the rest of us can choose to go elsewhere :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Personally of all the years and time spent on the broads, i have come across behavior that would deem a banning. This is all getting out of hand again.

Having had a pub that had about 25 locals use it through out winter, then spring comes and 10.000 ish tin boxes open, with many using the pub, along with 4 large bike rallies descending on the village spread over the summer 1000 plus bikes. We had only one person banned a local he banned him self as i refused to serve him any more alcohol. ...

If its getting out of hand like is being gossiped about here, i think the magistrates should have a good look at the licensee as being fit and proper, oh silly me its councils now isnt it no they wont look into it as they might loose votes ........This mainly comes down to bad management, of the pub/bar. Also publicans doing as told by a few customers who are genderfobic of all same sex parties.   Can you imagine what griff would say if he is allowed in with a mate, but his lads week is banned under this new thinking. 

Ill get off soap box now

Charlie ( not with mods hat on)

• Like 5

• Hockham Admiral changed the title to Dog Pub Bans Large All Male Crews And Stag Parties.

We saw three all male crews on Saturday- one a stag do on Freedom Boat dressed as pirates. All perfectly respectable and well behaved. It's a brace business to turn away all that revenue rather than dealing with the unruly occasional few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Actuality that is a very good point Matt. One problem I can envisage is that a group may be perfectly OK when they come in but they could start on the shots and become unruly later. It's a tough call. 

To be fair the only bad behaviour I have witnessed was a few years ago now and was actually a group of quite elderly males so it's not necessarily the preserve of the young. 

Another reason why I leave running pubs to the experts, customer side of the bar for me! :default_beerchug:

• Like 4

"Customer side of the bar for me!"........and me, but when I've finished swilling the Stella and start on the shots I tend to stagger outside untie all the moored up boats, moon at anyone who dares to moan, pee on my friends and most probably lose my pirate hat overboard in the process :default_norty: Just kidding of course, I would NEVER lose my pirate hat :default_drinks:

Seriously though, I know this type of thing can happen but it's so few and far between as far as I'm aware, I just want to see all the Broadland pubs survive and the amount of money these groups spend must have a huge impact on takings

Grace

• Like 9

I was in the Dog on Good Friday this year and there was group of lads in there, they were hammered and very noisey and had also been harassing some female patrons including my partner in crime. They ended up in the pool room and mostly kept in there I spoke to a chap as he was coming out of the loo but he couldn't actually talk by then! I felt sorry for the staff as they had their attention on the CCTV and this group. It didn't upset our night overall and staff were on top of things. I could understand how it would upset those that were less used to rowdy pubs. On balance it sounds like a good move.

That being said its a pain to enforce. In London where such groups are banned you normally find bouncers and I'd hate to see this on the Broads.

• Like 6

Its still clearly against the law to serve some one who for want of better word in so Mullered, this is clearly down to bad management for it to get this state of affairs. By serving people clearing that shouldnt then blaming it on an all same sex rather than the bad management that clearly let it get out of hand.

An n arm round the shoulder and a quiet word in the ear should be enough unless the management has things deteriorate beyond the point of sensible, saying time to leave. 

Charlie

• Like 1

I too hate pubs with doormen , as a publican I used to keep an eye on any groups and diffused any potential trouble .

one of my pubs was The Merton Arms in Cambridge which had the reputation as the roughest pub in Cambridge , I was there for 3years and was in my early twenties then , we didn't have to call the police once and in all those years there was only one occasion where a minor scrap occurred.

if you can imagine a group of 200 skinheads , punks, bikers et al singing along to Nelly the Elephant by the Toy Dolls at full pelt you can imagine the atmosphere, come last orders I used to turn the jukebox off and play the Theme tune to postman Pat which they also all sang along to and left in good spirits with a smile on their faces , in fact no other pub in the vicinity used to call time as their customers all knew when they heard the Merton chorus singing Postman Pat that it was time to go home 

unfortunately a lot of areas now insist on door security as a condition of licence (especially if opening beyond 23:00hrs )

• Like 2

we were once doing a viking show in Ruthin, after the show all the vikings (in gear- with swords) went into the town, out of 4 pubs, 3 decided they would not have us in, so we went to the last (roughest) pub, where we were told they had fights every night. with over 100 vikings in gear and drinking (quaffing) ale like it had gone out of fashion, the landlord was a bit apprehensive about whether his pub would survive when the daily fight started, 

But no, there was no fight - we drank the pub dry. at the end of the evening he promised he would have more beer for the next night - then said we were welcome any time.

The next day all the other pubs had signs out - vikings welcome - but we remembered the treatment from the first night and stuck with the fourth pub. apparently to get enough beer - the landlord had called in at all of the other pubs, buying all their spare beer, and passing the word out that there had been no trouble at his pub, and he had made record sales - and that we had drunk him dry.

Despite all the extra beer he got in - we drank him dry the next night and the next, and he had no fights - in fact we heard that the main trouble makers missing their fights (and not daring to take on the vikings) went to the other 3 pubs and thoroughly trashed them

• Like 6

The only problem I have come across,was about 5 or 6 years ago we were moored at a pub.There was a singles group meeting there.Oddly middle aged.One man one woman both had to much to drink they thought  it  was  fun to jump uninvited  onto some ones boat.I told them in no uncertain  terms that was not in,adding that don't even try doing that on my boat.What are you going to do about it he said.First I will speak  to the land Lord or the Police.They were asked  to go.

I am a fan of the Tequila Slammer! I'd like think i could get one in a pub.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I'm a fan of an open pub :-)

For me I would expect the landlord to deal with the problem few and enjoy the profits from the many.

And as pointed above door staff are often a condition of the license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have said before I was a publican for quite a long time, before that i was a Jeff Capes trained Doorman (bouncer) we used to cover all night raves etc in the 80's early 90's our pay was way above average. We never had trouble if we did most 99% was sorted by a firm arm round the shoulder and words in the ear. ( I hope this is the case with council licensed doormen/women) yes we did have door women as well, dont see that requirement out side pubs do we.

Back to my pubs In the Dog n Pheasant locally known as the Dog any trouble that looked like it may start was dealt with by the firm arm round the shoulder and a firm word in the ear, it always worked in there.  Bur if the bar staff dont allow any one one, Man or Woman to get so Brahms and List, so as to start trouble. There wouldnt be trouble, but in these times i can see publicans saying oh one one more cant do any harm, but that one tips them over the edge..., there in lays the problem in my opinion. 

Nothing to do with all same sex parties at all, but a case of publicans trying to squeeze that little bit more profit out of the custom they have at that time.... Now a good publican, would be moving with the times and diversifying into more of what the people want. Good Coffee Good Tea as well as food and booze, then they wouldnt need to try n squeeze that little extra profit out of the customer who has had all they can really hold.

Bloody hell my posts are becoming long like Robins lol

Charlie

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Do tell what is in a 'shot' please.   I can never see the attraction myself.     A good bottle of wine or champers for me.

Hi Monica

I shot is basically a very small but concentrated alcoholic drink something akin to cough mixture. Downed in one gulp. The sole purpose is to get drunk quickly. Very popular particularly among the groups we have been talking about. And very profitable for the pub I imagine,  as per Charlie's comment. 

• Like 1

I was thinking a moment ago (and showing my age once more) the only shot I have heard of apart from  a gun is something Dad used to call Red X, he used to put a shot of Red X in the car in the 50s.

What is the point of getting hammered in that fashion.:facepalm:

• Like 1