Recent Windows 10 Mega Update.

A few days ago my PC took nearly 2 hours to update, which Microsoft had said would happen. It restarted a few times.

Since which Outlook won't work, my youtube videos are slow and jerky and things take a long time to happen. I tried to get a previous recovery point but it only shows the dates of this latest upgrade as a reference point.

Any suggestions, please? (Preferably NOT on the back of a fag packet and not overly suggestive!)   :default_blink:   :default_blush:   :default_dry:

you may need to clear the buffers, most computers nowadays, when you turn them off dont really shut down, they go into sleep mode.

if you can the best way to do this is to remove the power supply, remove the battery, and then hold the power button down for about 30 seconds, before replacing the battery and power supply. this should clear any residual power out of the system and cause it to do a proper cold start.

Hopefully this should then load everything up fresh from scratch in the right order where it should then work correctly.

its always fun when software has loaded prior to the operating system being up and running, and windows updates are a case in point.

there are a few modern laptops where you cannot remove the battery, and I am not certain how you should achieve a cold start on one of these, but a proper cold start can work wonders for a misbehaving computer. on a desktop, just take the power cord out and push the power button for 30 seconds to achieve the same.

I have used this method to recover machines that were previously just booting up and then Blue screen of death, and after this procedure have worked just fine again.

do note that it will probably take a few minutes longer to turn on and get working this way.

I had to roll back to the previous version of win 10, as it lost many items off my desk top, and outlook didn't work.

I guess had they not stopped updating numbers this would have been windows 11, and well have to wait for Win12  for them to get it right as usual.

We've only a couple of moths ago turned off a machine at work with DOS 6.2 on it. no one had the budget required to re-write the software that was running on it so it stay DOS until the whole system became obsolete.

Many things like hospital scanners all round the world are running on XP with no chance of changing...

Hockham Admiral,

I don't know what you mean by "Outlook won't work".  Are you saying you cannot start it at all, or that you are not seeing new e-mails?  Grendel has suggested a restart.  You should achieve almost the same by choosing the "Shut down" or "Restart" options from the power menu (bottom-left of the "start" menu) see screen capture.

It might be, that your office application needs to update too:  Try starting the Store application, then click on the "user" icon just to the left of the search box. Choose "Downloads and Updates" and then "Get updates". ... and wait.

You might also try:

• At the start menu:  Type control and it should find "control panel Desktop app" as the best match.  Select that.
  • Choose Programs
  • Programs and Features
  • Scroll down the list to find your Outlook installation which is probably "Microsoft Office ...something "
  • Right-click that and choose "Change"
  • From the menu that pops up choose "Repair"
  • Wait!

Finally, if something is corrupt on the disk try:

• From the start menu type cmd
  • The "Command Prompt desktop app" should be selected:  Right-click that and choose "Run as administrator", then "yes" to the UAC warning.
  • type sfc /scannow
  • Wait (a long time) and see if it does any repairs.  If it does then re-boot!

Good luck!

Capture.JPG

In the case of my failed update to Windows 10 Creators Edition,

Rebooting my machine didn't work , it just came up each time saying preparing windows, and then  put you into a safe mode with no access to the windows account, Outlook lost all connection to the outside world although IE  / the edge allowed internet access.

Just now, Jonathan said:

Grendel has suggested a restart.  You should achieve almost the same by choosing the "Shut down" or "Restart" options from the power menu

The process I outlined above clears the most stubborn of memory caches in the machine, even a standard shutdown or restart does not quite achieve the level of cold start that the process I outline above does, the other one that fixes a lot of faults is running Chkdsk /f from the command line (this does take some time as it is a physical check of the hard drive, with the option to fix errors found)

I had this update on Monday after returning from holiday in the land of no signal (no not Horning!). Afterwards loads of things wouldn't work, wifi wouldn't turn on, or said it had but hadn't, SD Card reader wouldn't work, blue tooth adaptor. Of course, with no network it's a pain trying to do drivers but when I found an old cable in the back of the shed and wired it up the drivers were all up to date. I tried restore to no avail but after about six or seven restarts it began it's "preparing windows, do not switch off your computer" routine again and after that all was fine. I assumed it had not updated correctly the first time around.

On 26/07/2017 at 9:23 AM, grendel said:

on a desktop, just take the power cord out and push the power button for 30 seconds to achieve the same.

I have used this method to recover machines that were previously just booting up and then Blue screen of death, and after this procedure have worked just fine again.

do note that it will probably take a few minutes longer to turn on and get working this way.

Tried this, thanks so much but just the same. Outlook starts up and goes to sending/receiving mail but then freezes with "not responding"

19 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Hockham Admiral,

I don't know what you mean by "Outlook won't work".  Are you saying you cannot start it at all, or that you are not seeing new e-mails?  Grendel has suggested a restart.  You should achieve almost the same by choosing the "Shut down" or "Restart" options from the power menu (bottom-left of the "start" menu) see screen capture.

It might be, that your office application needs to update too:  Try starting the Store application, then click on the "user" icon just to the left of the search box. Choose "Downloads and Updates" and then "Get updates". ... and wait.

You might also try:

• At the start menu:  Type control and it should find "control panel Desktop app" as the best match.  Select that.
  • Choose Programs
  • Programs and Features
  • Scroll down the list to find your Outlook installation which is probably "Microsoft Office ...something "
  • Right-click that and choose "Change"
  • From the menu that pops up choose "Repair"
  • Wait!

Finally, if something is corrupt on the disk try:

• It isn't....

I did both of those with no success, sorry.

As I explained to Grendel, Outlook starts up and starts the sending/receiving bit. At about 66% complete the programme freezes and "not responding" comes up.

I do know that it's trying to download 3 very large picture files of 18Gb or so.

John, that may be the issue, I presume you mean 18Mb, - that is bad enough, most email servers wont do anything above 20mb, it may just be a case of leaving it running for a while, after which it may complete the download.

We have a number of users here at work, who panic once they get the not responding message, and try and shut down the program and restart it, when in actual fact the program is doing its best, but is so busy that the rest of the computer sees it as unresponsive. for me, I see this a lot in CAD, when opening / working on large files, some of the worst ones I have left running overnight and when I came in the next morning they had sorted themselves out and done the task. It could be indicative of running short of memory, and using the pagefile as virtual memory, this is generally slower and leads to the not responding message coming up.

I would fire it up and allow it to just run, give it a couple of hours to see if the program manages to respond (or leave it on overnight) and see if its sorted itself out by the morning.

I send out 24mb emails internally at work, and they can sometimes take 10 minutes to send on our internal network, during this time they block the whole company email system as that email passes through.

• Like 1

More good advice from Grendel above.  I agree:  "not responding" is quite different from not working.  It you are lucky then it will eventually get there.  You might consider transferring the data another way using something like dropbox, or an SD card or USB "stick" in the post.

• Like 1

Jonathan and David, Many Thanks.

Although I had the ability (and frequently did) to fly an outsize aeroplane anywhere in the world on ad hoc commercial charters...... 

I could even programme it if the Operations guys hadn't done so. 

BUT,  I'm afraid I'll have to admit to being a modern computaspeak technology dinosaur!

So it's switched on and left until tomorrow!    :default_blush:

• Like 3