Damage To Bathing Platform

Hi Guys and Gals,

Got to our boat at the weekend to find the damage in the picture to our bathing platform.

This had already got some star crazing to it where the fenders had rowed up onto the platform when moored up and thus the boat bashed into the quay heading at our mooring.

I have since put fenders (rubber tyres) on the quay but obviously didn't work and the resulting damage is shown.

Going to try and work out a better way of mooring/tying up so it doesn't happen again  but in the meantime does anyone know someone who could repair/make good the damage fairly local to Acle ?

I was thinking it maybe a good idea if the protrusion was cut away and made the same as the rest of the platform and a piece of rubbing strake let in so it was uniform the whole way across the bathing platform.

35901275670_e40539e54e_b.jpgFullSizeRender by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

• Like 1

The protrusion appears to be for the ladder location and strengthening.

Any change should keep that in mind. Just removing the protrusion would

not allow the ladder to hang vertically but would swing under the platform

making it extremely difficult to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The protrusion appears to be for the ladder location and strengthening.

Any change should keep that in mind. Just removing the protrusion would

not allow the ladder to hang vertically but would swing under the platform

making it extremely difficult to use.

I quite agree, before you streamline the bathing platform, either find a better boarding ladder, some slide out from a housing. Or increase the fendering each side of the boarding ladder. Make sure the fenders cannot ride up above the boarding ladder area.

The original design looks like an after thought, my advice would be to look at similar designs, or wait for a few forum members to post a few pics of what they have before making serious changes.

In the mean time, do what you have to do to keep the weather out.

Richard

• Like 1

I presume this damage was caused not so much by the boat bumping and nudging he quay, but in rise and fall of tide over time and this 'protrusion' catching the quay?

This is a good example where a small issue can lead to a lot of works (money) going to put it right.  My personal take on things is, how many years has this lasted as it was? If it was since the boat was built then I would take the view that a repair would suffice and keep it as it was.

As it goes, all the gel coat that is crazed will have to be ground away because that is stress cracking and unless you address the stress anything new will suffer the same fate. The protrusion could be re-instated but with more structural support internally and instead of using 'chop strand' matting use some bi-axial '1708' matting which will add a great degree of strength to the layup.

Cutting the protrusion back makes for an easier fix but then you need a new boarding  ladder - or another way to make the current boarding ladder still work by supporting the the initial curve and rung of it.  If that means adding something else to give this support you may as well just keep the protrusion.

In the long run whatever happens will be essential to keep bathing platform and quay well apart from each other or else i can see the same thing happening again whatever route is taken.

• Like 1

Cheers for all your advice peeps.

The boat is only six years old but it has only been moored at its present location since January and the damage has only occurred since then.

The original crazing happened when we had the extremely high spring tides a few months back which obviously weakened it. 

We found it broken when we arrived at the boat on Saturday night so I do want to get this sorted ASAP before any further issues.

I'll contact George during the week and hope the boat will be okay as I'm not in  position to get up there immediately .

40 minutes ago, springsong said:

Can you not "spring" the boat forward to prevent this happening again,  once a repair has been effected.

Certainly if the rope is long enough, it will take care of any normal tidal rise and falls.

Why didn't I think of that lol...

Richard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, springsong said:

Can you not "spring" the boat forward to prevent this happening again,  once a repair has been effected.

3 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Certainly if the rope is long enough, it will take care of any normal tidal rise and falls.

Why didn't I think of that lol...

Richard

I wish I had thought of that before the damage occurred :default_dunce:

Hi Jeff,

Are you just stern moored or do you have any side moorings.

We have fitted those plastic dock fenders on the stern pontoon and on the finger pontoon, these are inflatable. These help protect our gel-coat, we do have our fenders down as well.

I agree with some of the other forum members regarding repairing what you have got on the bathing platform, this should be an easy repair and will keep the design intact, as already stated if you alter it you would have to redesign the ladder mounting on the bathing platform.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Jeff,

Are you just stern moored or do you have any side moorings.

We have fitted those plastic dock fenders on the stern pontoon and on the finger pontoon, these are inflatable. These help protect our gel-coat, we do have our fenders down as well.

I agree with some of the other forum members regarding repairing what you have got on the bathing platform, this should be an easy repair and will keep the design intact, as already stated if you alter it you would have to redesign the ladder mounting on the bathing platform.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, 

Side and Stern Sir.

32304431952_0522602174_b.jpgCC9J6713 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

We now have two old tyres hanging off the quay on the stern .

So hopefully will stop this happening and I will make a spring rope as suggested, that should stop any further incidents.

All part of the rich experience of boat ownership I guess :default_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have spoken to George at Ludham and sent him a photo of the damage.

Just waiting to hear back from him and hopefully get it sorted soon.

Thanks for all your help Guys and Gals  and will let you know how we get on .

• 2 weeks later...

Off up to the boat as soon as I finish work tonight.

Got a job do in Caister tomorrow and will be taking the boat up to George at Ludham Bridge as well to get a quote.

Fingers crossed it will be an easy enough fix for him .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update time,

Picking the boat up tomorrow from George, getting boat withdrawal symptoms so can't wait:default_biggrin:

Weather forecast doesn't look great but it will be good to get back afloat whatever the weather is doing!

I'll post pictures up of the repaired bathing platform once we get Riverlight back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dilligaf said:

Did you change the design at all? GRP overhanging rubbing strake seems to make the rubbing strake pointless.

Enjoy the water whatever the weather.

I haven’t seen it yet but George has levelled the platform off and a new rubbing strake has been put the whole way across .

Will know more soon.