The Games We Used To Play

deebee29

Following on from a comment by Regulo on Broad Ambition 's control knob thread I thought I'd start a new topic rather than hijack the fund raising one.

Regulo reminded me of 1970’s game of Clackers that we used to play in the schoolyard 

Which got me thinking of what other games from our childhood are no longer around or not allowed in our politically correct society

Who remembers games like British Bulldog,  Split the Kipper ( basically knife throwing) and Murder Ball which was played as part of our school PE lessons in the gym. And not forgetting Conkers.

We lived in different times back then.

what games do you remember from the days when we used to go "out to play" instead of sitting in front of a screen?

• Like 1

Just now, Wildfuzz said:

Cant remember what we called it but tossing a coin to get closest to the wall, closest coin kept the other.... I lost a lot of dinner monies to that one...

I'd forgotten that one ....... can't remember the name either 

18 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

Cant remember what we called it but tossing a coin to get closest to the wall, closest coin kept the other.... I lost a lot of dinner monies to that one...

"Pitch and Toss"  I have seen pounds and pounds in half crowns going up the wall in the Mining community close to where my Grand parents lived in Lancashire. I think it was illegal at some point if the stakes were not very small, like crib and brag in pubs had to be for minimal stakes

I haven't a clue about the games you guys are talking about (except maybe the kiss chase lol), I was far too busy enjoying Boats to bother with any games :default_norty: My boys are only allowed a certain amount of time for tv or electronic games, I was raised to embrace the great outdoors and we're doing the same with them but I know what you mean regarding comments about children being stuck in front of a screen. A little friend of theirs was invited over the park one afternoon only to be told he couldn't because he was on a certain level of some game or other on the xbox :facepalm:

Sorry Dave, back on topic, marbles, I used to love a game of marbles

Grace

• Like 5

"Oh I lost my marbles years ago Grace"..............no comment :default_norty: Conkers have been banned from school playgrounds on grounds of health and safety for goodness sake. Climbing trees, playing role play games over the park, pinching the odd apple from someone's apple tree (sorry Stuart) Knocking on someone's door and running away (sorry again Stuart) playing Doctors and Nurses (best not go there lol) That's what having fun was all about. You very rarely see a bunch of kids out playing on their own now, I know a lot of parents, me included are terrified of letting them our of our sight for fear of a real life monster waiting in the shadows

Sorry once again Dave, I've gone off on a tangent again :facepalm:

Grace 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Marina says I don't have any marbles,now what's this about Doctors and Nurses?:default_dunce::default_blink:

Nowadays it would be "private consultants and BUPA". Would involve parting with large sums of money. Bit like pitch and toss on steroids!!:default_biggrin:

We played a variation of marbles in Donny called 'Pog'. A hole in the floor in the corner of the playground was utilized. The object to 'roll' a quantity of marbles (quantity agreed before the game starting lowest number being four) from a distance of around ten to fifteen feet into the hole. Marbles that missed would be collected up and placed in the hole. You would add marbles from your stash to your throwing hand to make up the required throwing number after each turn. Opponents would take it, in turn, to get their 'mibs' into the 'pog' the marbles accumulating in the 'pog' until someone managed to get all of their marbles into the pog in a single shot. They would then remove all of the accumulated marbles from the pog and take one final shot with all of the marbels, keeping every one that landed in the 'pog'.

The boys would have pockets jammed full of marbles in their hundreds. Balby Junior School Pog Champion when I was there was Sadu Singh. I saw him throw one hundred and six mibs into the pog in one throw. Sticks in my mind because I was the chump that lost that game! :facepalm:

• Like 1

"puggy sticks" using a suitable stick a ball of puggy (clay) was molded to the top then hurled a huge distance at the opposition whilst trying to avoid the similar incoming projectiles. Guess it was a forerunner of those dog ball throwers, and yes scrumping was a favorite to, knock down ginger on the door bells, and gnome knapping, moving or swapping garden gnomes along the street. Racing our bikes through the woods in a proper race series emulating the scramblers we watched locally, spent hours building bikes from acquired parts!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

at primary school we had a drain running the length of the playground, this was half round and about 5" across, at the bottom was a drain hole, a square inverted pyramid with a drain cover in the bottom.

down this drain we would race our cars- first to the bottom won (it was a good 100 foot) overtaking was achieved by swinging up the side of the drain around the opponents car.

this was made more interesting when it rained by the volume of water rushing down the drain, the hopper at the end invariable filled to the brim, and I remember to this day the trouble I got into the day someone made me lose my temper and I sat him down in this full drain - soaked through.

We used to make throwing arrows. Piece of bamboo about 18 inches or so. Screw a heavy bolt into one end and then split the other end to stick some "flights" in. Cut notch into the bamboo about 3/4 of the way from the bolt. Length of string about 24 inches with a big knot one end. Wrap it around the bamboo by the notch so it catches the knot. Wrap the rest around your first finger to keep the string tight as far as the bolt and use it as a sling and the thing would go many miles! Well, seemed miles at our age!

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 07:44, Londonlad1985 said:

Kiss Chase! emoji8.png

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

The Primary School Had a white line running down the middle and a teacher stood at the school end, the outside toilets at the other. Boys on the left boys on the right separate entrances to the school. So kiss chase was not popular!! neither was it at the secondary school which was boys only.

Marbles was the only Ball game allowed at the primary school..

• Like 1