Wanted: Tardis

Timbo

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it ...Alchemy, I mean...alchemy.

I've been slaving over a hot stove. Oh, all right it took a few minutes, but I've been making a beeswax finish for my chopping boards. I was surprised at just how easy it was. Some gently heated mineral oil into which I put slivers of beeswax....about two bars of beeswax to a cup of mineral oil. After decanting to a small jar I let it set outside.

I'm amazed at the quality of the finish. Rubbed into the chopping board, give it some time to soak in, apply a second coat and buff up with a lambswool pad on my drill. Pennies to make and much better and cheaper than the factory made stuff. I know what's in it and can tell customers at craft fairs.

I'm making a second batch with some essential oil in it for non-food related items. 

• Like 1

Returning from a trip to earn some spondulicks for RT's coffers...I get roped back into Ellie's YouTube project. A little jaded this morning, it took me until 10 am to get up enough get up to go walk the dogs...go...got too many go's now!  After the walk, I get back to the window sections for RT. About 11 am Ellie rings me to say that I 'need to make a gift for the eldest lad's birthday'. So I potter about trying to come up with an idea. At 2 pm I pick Ellie up for her lunch.
"How are you getting on?" she asks.
"Oh OK" I reply.
"Well you have plenty of time we are not due until 7pm."
"What day?" I ask.
"Today!"

So I redoubled my efforts. I planed and squared two feet of sapele which was eight inches wide. Cut the board in half, and stacked them one on top of the other. With a 5.5mm drill bit, I drilled sixteen holes through the top section of wood and halfway through the second. I swapped the bit out for a 41mm forstner bit and after separating the top plank from the bottom I drilled four 41mm holes straight through the top.

I then cut the top board in half lengthways, and at the bandsaw took a rectangular piece from the inside edge of both pieces. Still at the bandsaw I cut some sapele dowels to around 70 mm in length. A good clean up with a flat file along all the sawn edges and I broke out the router to round over all edges. Time for some glue. I glue the dowels into the bottom plank and hammer the top two planks on to the dowels. Finally, after a good sanding, I applied some oil, let it dry, applied a second coat, let that dry, applied some beeswax and buffed everything up with the lambswool pad chucked into my drill.

The very last touches were some small rubber anti-skid feet, four shot glasses and a bottle of Jack Daniels.
DSC_0006.JPG

A bit rough and ready...but it's a gift all done by 5:30 in time to pick Ellie up.

• Like 10

Another couple of days working on....projects. Something totally different this time. Ellie has had me photographing fragrance bottles for her next YouTube video. I wasn't happy at all with my first attempts, so I persuaded her I needed to use the proper kit. So,  it was out with the light tent, a couple of large softboxes and, after messing about with an iron for an hour to get the backdrop smooth, off to Trent Plastics to buy a 1mm thick sheet of plasticy type stuff to use instead!

My very first photo's of fragrance bottles were garbage!
Stronger.png

But with the right gear...
Creed Flat.png

They are a bit better...but flat!
Creed Correct.png

With some tinkering...I can get the colours to pop, but they show every speck of dust that the naked eye couldn't see.
Creed TouchUp.png

So a quick fiddle in photoshop and they are a bit better but I then nip off to the plastic shop and buy some plastic. To my amazement, I discovered that not only are the photos better with the plastic base but...
Bottle Hangers.png
...it does woodwork too!

• Like 2