Self Checkouts - Call An Assistant

Siddy

Think this is in the right topic.

Out shopping today we called in one of the quid shops, So I saw some long 6-7" teaspoons 4 off strongest metal used!! there only for my travel cup I use at work, feed up of losing normal ones in the cup till I drink half of cup.

So through the old self checkout, ping ping ping call an assistant. Get's her over and she looks at me I said whats up, these are classed as a dangerous weapon and you could stab someone with them.

I said there's more change of it bending in two and trapping my finger. It's a good job they don't sell long bread sticks they could be used as a club. I think a biro would be a better option than a spoon.

Anyone else been pulled for age checks or come up against a silly item like above.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I am quite fond of alcohol free Lager, which I purchase frequently from Sainsburys. Their own Czech alcohol free and their new Franciskaner  alcohol free Weissbier are among my favourites. It annoys the hell out of me when I use the self-checkout and the stressy female voice says "Assistance Required" or "Alcoholic in the bagging area" or words to that effect. Ben Shaws shandy contains more alcohol than this stuff!

Nanny state or what??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Not self checkout related but in a supermarket (M) my wife was once refused the sale of 1 bottle of red wine because our 7 year old son was with her and she could have been buying it for him, also happened again when we were together one day without the kids, she didnt have any ID on her, I could produce ID but they still wouldnt sell it to us as I could be purchasing it for her (which I was).  Neither of us are that young looking so I requested the manager to attend and after creating a bit of a scene they backed down and sold it to us. 

Things just go a bit far sometimes. 

Edit: meant to say the refusal when wife with son was 1 bottle of wine along with a full weekly shop on the conveyor!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw a young female with 2 kids in the supermarket get a small box of beer to take to a bbq and the women wouldn't sell her it as she couldn't prove she was over 21. The checkout next to us said she's ok but ours would sell her it.

Wonder what would happen when it's delivered to the house. We have home delivery and can tell you there's nothing better than snow on the ground and beers delivered to your door.

I am slowly, in my old fashioned way, becoming accustomed to the self check out. Forced into it because the queues in the " manned "ones are usually are alike to Ludham bridge queues on a windy day!!

However :default_blink:, my patience and usual easy going nature :default_biggrin:, was tested when it gave me 30pence in change , in two pences:default_blink:. I had a chat with the machine , explaining my displeasure but it's customer care was non-existent :default_dunce:

On that note, is it not time we done away with coppers ( not the wooden top ones who hound us for speeding :default_biggrin:) Surely we could round things up or down to the five?  We can't buy anything for a penny, penny chews are a long time gone :default_badday:

Neil :default_cool:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

We can't buy anything for a penny, penny chews are a long time gone Neil :default_cool:

Course you can, my local garage sells a litre of petrol at 114.9p . Offer 115p and ask for 0.1p change, and see what happens! What's the problem with selling petrol in whole pence? No-one is fooled into thinking 114.9 is any less than 115. It'd be different if anyone was selling it at anything other than xxx.9, but they all do! Ridiculous.

Iv done just that Ray , I wasn't getting through to the assistant n even less so the manager so I just put the cash back in my wallet and walked out , only to be told I couldn't do that , er watch n learn Mr manager iv got choices too :default_biggrin:, I guess I was an unexpected item in the baggage area :default_coat:

the most ridiculous check we ever had, was when we took the ferry to santander, even though we were booked for the round trip we had to disembark, and then re-embark. as my wife could not manage the steps to disembark we were sent to the lift, from where they took us off from the car deck on a minibus.

when we came to re-board, we joined the queue for the disabled , and the woman at the head of the queue sent us all back to the back of the main queue - even the 90 year old with 2 walking sticks. we all sat down and waited until the queue was shorter, when we got through the minibus was waiting, there were about 30 of us and only 5 seats in the minibus, it was taking about 10 minutes to do a round trip. by now all of the remaining foot passangers had boarded, the boat was due to sail in 20 minutes, and the driver would only allow 5 people into the minibus at a time. we boarded on the last minibus, one half of the ramp was already up, and we must have cast off seconds after the minibus cleared the ramp. for the last 30 minutes the womans radio had been burning her ears as the captain yelled at her for delaying the sailing. talk about jobsworth, if she had let us through the disabled lane we could have been boarding while the rest of the foot passengers were, not all turned up in a bunch at the end. All of the people she turned away were disabled enough to not be able to stand in the queue for over an hour - whicjh was why they required the minibus.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

On that note, is it not time we done away with coppers ( not the wooden top ones who hound us for speeding :default_biggrin:) Surely we could round things up or down to the five?  We can't buy anything for a penny, penny chews are a long time gone :default_badday:

Neil :default_cool:

But Neil what would we do with all our old Whiskey bottles?

I was once asked (when in my 20’s) for proof of age in a pub.

No problem in that but the barmaid ...... other beverage servers are available, used to be in my class at school and called me by name.

• Like 1

I actually got asked only the other week for proof of age, two kids in tow, an obvious shopping trolley full of family stuff, car parked in the car park and the girl asking looked like she just got out of school :default_rolleyes: Mum said, think yourself lucky, in twenty years and someone asks you that, you'll give em a ruddy kiss lol

Dave, stop drinking Whiskey :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Regulo said:

I'd have left the full weekly shop at the till and walked out. Other supermarkets are available. :default_icon_evil:

I have on many an  occasion, the wench says now weve got to go n do it all again some where else. Its the principle, the worst one was after queuing at the check out she shut it as we was about to load the conveyor belt.  The security guy said you cant just leave a full  trolley you must pay for it. I said you just watch me i tried to pay they shut the till so ive shut my wallet. The wench walked out head down while i was arguing.

Charlie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a lot easier here, as the French all down tools at midday and shove off for a 2 - hour lunch. So I go in the supermarket about 1300 when where might be only 3 cars in the car park. Lovely!

Come to think of it, I have never seen an automatic check-out in a French supermarket. Not that I would use it anyway. I refuse to go near anything that goes beep!

We do have one supermarket here which must be run by Quakers or something, as all their fortified wines and spirits are locked behind a glass display. You have to call an assistant and tell her what you want to buy. She then gives you a large wooden board about 2 feet long with ALCOHOL written on it, and you have to carry this in your trolley for the rest of the way round the shelves, until you can redeem it for your booze at the checkout. You might as well have to have it slung around your neck!

• Like 2

Maybe these spoons are like the ones referred to by the late, great Alan Rickman in ' Robin Hood, Prince of Theives' .Locksley, I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon.

Colin:default_drinks:

Not been asked for id for years:default_sad:

• Like 2

Why is it not cheaper to use "self serve" tills than a "manned" one?

If I am putting everything through the till myself then I should be paid as a member of staff for the time it takes to process everything through the till and receive a staff discount as well.

I have never yet heard  one of the "self-serve" tills ask if you need a bag or help with packing your purchases !!

Jeff  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1