Self Checkouts - Call An Assistant

Siddy

I do have a confession here on behalf of my wife.  She was on the Tesco team which was involved in rolling the self checkout system out.  Sorry, maybe I should have paid more attention when she was waffling about it and I could have said "that'll never work" or something!!  To be fair to Tesco I think M&S were the first supermarket to actually have them in service.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Why is it not cheaper to use "self serve" tills than a "manned" one?

If I am putting everything through the till myself then I should be paid as a member of staff for the time it takes to process everything through the till and receive a staff discount as well.

I have never yet heard  one of the "self-serve" tills ask if you need a bag or help with packing your purchases !!

Jeff  

I won't use self serve tills on principle. Just another way of reducing staff.

• Like 6

Hi Troutman62,

I am with you regarding self serve tills, I avoid these at all shops, sadly all the supermarkets have increased the amount of these in store. To be honest I do not see the financial gain on these, they must cost the earth to supply and maintain and always need a member of staff on hand to sort out the vast amount of issues with their use.

A couple of years ago I went to B & Q ( I had two items a plumbing fitting and 2.5 litres of yacht varnish) but they would not open a till for me, I left the two items by the till with protests from an hovering member of staff saying you can't do that. The yacht I purchased later in the day from a decorating shop that I often use, this was over £20 a tin cheaper for a better product.

That particular B & Q has since shut, a sign of the times or just to many people voting with their feet.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Troutman62,

I am with you regarding self serve tills, I avoid these at all shops, sadly all the supermarkets have increased the amount of these in store. To be honest I do not see the financial gain on these, they must cost the earth to supply and maintain and always need a member of staff on hand to sort out the vast amount of issues with their use.

A couple of years ago I went to B & Q ( I had two items a plumbing fitting and 2.5 litres of yacht varnish) but they would not open a till for me, I left the two items by the till with protests from an hovering member of staff saying you can't do that. The yacht I purchased later in the day from a decorating shop that I often use, this was over £20 a tin cheaper for a better product.

That particular B & Q has since shut, a sign of the times or just to many people voting with their feet.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Dont get me started on B & Q for Heavens sake, another place to avoid at all costs. I make a 20 mile round trip to  a Louth D.I.Y  just to avoid the experience of being "served" in our local B & Q by a bunch of miserable buggers who don't know the difference between low voltage and low wattage , true !!

Regards

Stefan

1 hour ago, troutman62 said:

Hi Alan,

Dont get me started on B & Q for Heavens sake, another place to avoid at all costs. I make a 20 mile round trip to  a Louth D.I.Y  just to avoid the experience of being "served" in our local B & Q by a bunch of miserable buggers who don't know the difference between low voltage and low wattage , true !!

Regards

Stefan

I can well believe it A couple of years ago, we were in the electrical department of John Lewis Norwich helping a friend who needed a new TV for his boat. We approached the dept. Manager and asked if he could show us an AC/D/C t.v. he went a very bright red and after stuttering a completely incomprehensible reply left us realising he thought we were asking for something with a flexible sexual orientation!

Carole

• Like 3
  • Haha 2