Amazon Dot. Any Good ?

Viking23

Due to my current situation, I am finding myself either confined to bed more, or sitting in a chair. Accessing the ipad is more difficult these days, and no  doubt will get worse. A friend suggested getting an Amazon dot, the basic one for £49. However reviews are mixed, and most complaints are about the app rather than the device.

So... are these units any good? 

Which app should I be using? for ipad of course.

I like the idea of lying in bed, no glasses to hand, and simply asking questions on news, weather, maybe picking up radio Norfolk lol 

Any advice, good bad or indifferent greatly appreciated. I might be going out later and picking one up from our local argos, if they are any good.

Many thanks, 

Richard

Hi Richard,

I can't help with Amazon Dot but Judith and I used, and in fact, I still do use their tablets for reading.

Amazon if they have a problem very soon fix it. But they have an interest in getting rid of their stock and it is sometimes difficult to check you are buying the latest generation..

Some of their products are a bit querky when compared to your Samsung or Apple but I find I get used to them quickly. The Paper White is a case in point, it has no processing as such so why does it cost as much as a real tablet? It's method of retrieval can make you tear your hair out, it is black and white so colour illustration is lost. So why do I own one? Because I can fully charge it, put it in my pocket and reading morning and night it will last for weeks not hours on that single charge. If travelling I can do everthing else on my phone.

Sorry for the ramble, I could have cut that down to " make sure to purchase the latest version "

Regards,

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris, the latest version is version 2 and Argos are insisting theirs are version 2. So thanks for the heads up. Yes I agree that Amazon do seem on the ball re bug fixing, and we are tail end charlies to the States, as they have far more options, which I guess will roll out to the UK. I wonder if they will do a Welsh version lol.

Thanks Doug, yours might be slow internet, but we have fibreoptic with quite good speeds and can download films and internet clips without any buffering, and have 2-3 users on line as well.

There have been issues with the earlier version 1, but also with the app. I guess if I do buy one, give it a week keep or return, then I think Argos would honour the return on the day. So if I get one, probably best from there, as apposed to returning it by post, then the supplier claiming they never received it.

So I will wait for any more comments before taking a chance. I thank you both for your quick responses. I am quite techie, and find ways of getting around hitches and glitches. We have WiFi extenders, digital set top box linked to the internet, and even internet linked security cameras, but that does have gremlins lol...

I do like gadgets, and even control the heating from the internet, I did my own simple system, not hive, as that still has bugs.

Best regards,

Richard

2 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Thanks Doug, yours might be slow internet, but we have fibreoptic with quite good speeds and can download films and internet clips without any buffering, and have 2-3 users on line as well.

There have been issues with the earlier version 1, but also with the app. I guess if I do buy one, give it a week keep or return, then I think Argos would honour the return on the day. So if I get one, probably best from there, as apposed to returning it by post, then the supplier claiming they never received it.

So I will wait for any more comments before taking a chance. I thank you both for your quick responses. 

Best regards,

Richard

It might also be my mumbling Norfolk accent.

Doug.